Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion Advantage Charger

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EVOtech
I decided our 7A linear PSU was too heavy to keep lugging around and so bought a 20A switch-mode unit, which is less than half the weight.

When the Advantage is step-charging, it manages steps 1 and 2 OK, but in the transition to step 3 trips the swich-mode out. I'm using 7A/0.5A/6A

For this to happen, the current has to be more than 25A. Might this indicate a first-batch problem?

It seems to behave OK on the linear supply.
I don’t really know how the Orion charger works. Here what I think happened.

Your first step is set to 7A and it seem to work fine, because the step 1 maybe a linear charging for 10~20 sec. But as soon as the step 3 kicking in to 6A from .5A your psu may not be able to handle the “in-rush” current. The “in-rush could spiked up past the tripping point of your psu. The in-rush current could be more than 25A for a milli sec or less, but because your psu’s protective circuit is so sensitive. That’s why it kept tripping.

Just my .02
Old 07-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EVOtech
I decided our 7A linear PSU was too heavy to keep lugging around and so bought a 20A switch-mode unit, which is less than half the weight.

When the Advantage is step-charging, it manages steps 1 and 2 OK, but in the transition to step 3 trips the swich-mode out. I'm using 7A/0.5A/6A

For this to happen, the current has to be more than 25A. Might this indicate a first-batch problem?

It seems to behave OK on the linear supply.
Sounds like the PS - one of the racers that uses an advantage with a very similar profile (.3 in S2) is using a Novak PS with out a problem. I think the novak is only 10-12amp PS.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well-I really think this charger does a great job-but I am flustered by its navigation. Yeah-I know what a grey matter challenged person that makes me and I dont care

I have one quick navigation question!! What are the steps to get back to the "time" screen? I dont seem to be able to ever get there except by unplugging and plugging back into the PS.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

rayhuang- go to the battery management screen and scroll through that and it will take you to the time.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang
well-I really think this charger does a great job-but I am flustered by its navigation. Yeah-I know what a grey matter challenged person that makes me and I dont care

I have one quick navigation question!! What are the steps to get back to the "time" screen? I dont seem to be able to ever get there except by unplugging and plugging back into the PS.
Yeah... navigation is tricky, to say the least!
Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
rayhuang- go to the battery management screen and scroll through that and it will take you to the time.
That did the trick-thanks!!

kewdawg-yeah-I feel so stupid at thetrack hitting the buttons 500 times (beep-beep-bep-beep-beepbeep-beep-beep.....) then I stand there, mouth hangin open staring at the charger for 20 seconds-and my buddy pitted next to me asked "what the hell are you doing??" And i just say-trying to find where I stored my 4-cell charge profile Its pathetic.....
Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

It does taking some getting used to. I always screw up and don't push the start button for charge twice when it asks to discharge first or to set the time before start. I really do like the charger though, very nice unit once you figure it out. Oh, and I turned the beeping off, it was annoying. Also, just a friendly hint, don't change the language to german or japanese if you don't know the language, it will be difficult to get it back to english.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rayhuang
That did the trick-thanks!!

kewdawg-yeah-I feel so stupid at thetrack hitting the buttons 500 times (beep-beep-bep-beep-beepbeep-beep-beep.....) then I stand there, mouth hangin open staring at the charger for 20 seconds-and my buddy pitted next to me asked "what the hell are you doing??" And i just say-trying to find where I stored my 4-cell charge profile Its pathetic.....
Been there, buddy... been there. I think a directional pad would have made navigation a 100 times easier.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Hey everybody,

I just bought the Team Orion Advantage charger a wanted to know what power supplies you are using with it? I was looking 13.8vdc 15amp radio shack unit, would this be suitable for it? This is my first DC only charger and need some assistance on what a good and compact power supply to use would be.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 07-19-2005, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vulso
Hey everybody,

I just bought the Team Orion Advantage charger a wanted to know what power supplies you are using with it? I was looking 13.8vdc 15amp radio shack unit, would this be suitable for it? This is my first DC only charger and need some assistance on what a good and compact power supply to use would be.

Thanks,
Daniel
Go with the 25 amp version. This will allow you to use more components at the same time, like a: tire truer, a second charger, etc. .
Old 07-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This is the best and cheapest Power supply that I have found. I have two and still payed less than most people on just one...
Hope this helps....
Also Tre's Leonard makes killer face plates for it also....email him through the link in my signature....
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm
-Shookie <><
Originally Posted by vulso
Hey everybody,

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 07-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have the 25 amp Radio shack unit and it's a great power supply. I currently run two Advantage chargers, my fan for my integy 030 tray and my Yokomo motor system off it, sometimes all at once and the thing never even flinches. I saw that the one Shookie said and it looks nice too, but I just know that the Radio Shack one is awessome. Also, if there is a problem with it, there are a million Radio Shacks around.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe someone has the same problem:

I was unable to use the delay with the step charge mode, it seems to impossible???
It works fine with the normal charge mode.

Any help will be appreciate. Actually I bought this charger for the step charge mode and the delay mode.

Bye
Old 07-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hugo
Maybe someone has the same problem:

I was unable to use the delay with the step charge mode, it seems to impossible???
It works fine with the normal charge mode.

Any help will be appreciate. Actually I bought this charger for the step charge mode and the delay mode.

Bye
i do not believe it was intended to function in the step charge mode disappointing i agree but great charger minus one nice feature
Old 07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
I have the 25 amp Radio shack unit and it's a great power supply. I currently run two Advantage chargers, my fan for my integy 030 tray and my Yokomo motor system off it, sometimes all at once and the thing never even flinches. I saw that the one Shookie said and it looks nice too, but I just know that the Radio Shack one is awessome. Also, if there is a problem with it, there are a million Radio Shacks around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.