Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion Advantage Charger >

Team Orion Advantage Charger

Team Orion Advantage Charger

Old 07-14-2005, 07:30 AM
  #316  
Tech Master
iTrader: (6)
 
komkit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Germantown, America
Posts: 1,789
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EVOtech
I decided our 7A linear PSU was too heavy to keep lugging around and so bought a 20A switch-mode unit, which is less than half the weight.

When the Advantage is step-charging, it manages steps 1 and 2 OK, but in the transition to step 3 trips the swich-mode out. I'm using 7A/0.5A/6A

For this to happen, the current has to be more than 25A. Might this indicate a first-batch problem?

It seems to behave OK on the linear supply.
I don’t really know how the Orion charger works. Here what I think happened.

Your first step is set to 7A and it seem to work fine, because the step 1 maybe a linear charging for 10~20 sec. But as soon as the step 3 kicking in to 6A from .5A your psu may not be able to handle the “in-rush” current. The “in-rush could spiked up past the tripping point of your psu. The in-rush current could be more than 25A for a milli sec or less, but because your psu’s protective circuit is so sensitive. That’s why it kept tripping.

Just my .02
komkit is offline  
Old 07-14-2005, 08:05 AM
  #317  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
rocketron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: palm desert
Posts: 2,280
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EVOtech
I decided our 7A linear PSU was too heavy to keep lugging around and so bought a 20A switch-mode unit, which is less than half the weight.

When the Advantage is step-charging, it manages steps 1 and 2 OK, but in the transition to step 3 trips the swich-mode out. I'm using 7A/0.5A/6A

For this to happen, the current has to be more than 25A. Might this indicate a first-batch problem?

It seems to behave OK on the linear supply.
Sounds like the PS - one of the racers that uses an advantage with a very similar profile (.3 in S2) is using a Novak PS with out a problem. I think the novak is only 10-12amp PS.
rocketron is offline  
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
  #318  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (5)
 
rayhuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Posts: 6,511
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

well-I really think this charger does a great job-but I am flustered by its navigation. Yeah-I know what a grey matter challenged person that makes me and I dont care

I have one quick navigation question!! What are the steps to get back to the "time" screen? I dont seem to be able to ever get there except by unplugging and plugging back into the PS.
rayhuang is offline  
Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 AM
  #319  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 886
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

rayhuang- go to the battery management screen and scroll through that and it will take you to the time.
Chris Brown is offline  
Old 07-14-2005, 12:18 PM
  #320  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rayhuang
well-I really think this charger does a great job-but I am flustered by its navigation. Yeah-I know what a grey matter challenged person that makes me and I dont care

I have one quick navigation question!! What are the steps to get back to the "time" screen? I dont seem to be able to ever get there except by unplugging and plugging back into the PS.
Yeah... navigation is tricky, to say the least!
kewdawg is offline  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:04 PM
  #321  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (5)
 
rayhuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Posts: 6,511
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
rayhuang- go to the battery management screen and scroll through that and it will take you to the time.
That did the trick-thanks!!

kewdawg-yeah-I feel so stupid at thetrack hitting the buttons 500 times (beep-beep-bep-beep-beepbeep-beep-beep.....) then I stand there, mouth hangin open staring at the charger for 20 seconds-and my buddy pitted next to me asked "what the hell are you doing??" And i just say-trying to find where I stored my 4-cell charge profile Its pathetic.....
rayhuang is offline  
Old 07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
  #322  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 886
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

It does taking some getting used to. I always screw up and don't push the start button for charge twice when it asks to discharge first or to set the time before start. I really do like the charger though, very nice unit once you figure it out. Oh, and I turned the beeping off, it was annoying. Also, just a friendly hint, don't change the language to german or japanese if you don't know the language, it will be difficult to get it back to english.
Chris Brown is offline  
Old 07-15-2005, 07:52 AM
  #323  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rayhuang
That did the trick-thanks!!

kewdawg-yeah-I feel so stupid at thetrack hitting the buttons 500 times (beep-beep-bep-beep-beepbeep-beep-beep.....) then I stand there, mouth hangin open staring at the charger for 20 seconds-and my buddy pitted next to me asked "what the hell are you doing??" And i just say-trying to find where I stored my 4-cell charge profile Its pathetic.....
Been there, buddy... been there. I think a directional pad would have made navigation a 100 times easier.
kewdawg is offline  
Old 07-18-2005, 03:49 PM
  #324  
Tech Regular
 
vulso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 342
Default

Hey everybody,

I just bought the Team Orion Advantage charger a wanted to know what power supplies you are using with it? I was looking 13.8vdc 15amp radio shack unit, would this be suitable for it? This is my first DC only charger and need some assistance on what a good and compact power supply to use would be.

Thanks,
Daniel
vulso is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 06:23 AM
  #325  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by vulso
Hey everybody,

I just bought the Team Orion Advantage charger a wanted to know what power supplies you are using with it? I was looking 13.8vdc 15amp radio shack unit, would this be suitable for it? This is my first DC only charger and need some assistance on what a good and compact power supply to use would be.

Thanks,
Daniel
Go with the 25 amp version. This will allow you to use more components at the same time, like a: tire truer, a second charger, etc. .
kewdawg is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 06:39 AM
  #326  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
Mr. Shookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Wilderness
Posts: 4,711
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

This is the best and cheapest Power supply that I have found. I have two and still payed less than most people on just one...
Hope this helps....
Also Tre's Leonard makes killer face plates for it also....email him through the link in my signature....
http://www.buyreliant.com/psupplies/psv200.htm
-Shookie <><
Originally Posted by vulso
Hey everybody,

I just bought the Team Orion Advantage charger a wanted to know what power supplies you are using with it? I was looking 13.8vdc 15amp radio shack unit, would this be suitable for it? This is my first DC only charger and need some assistance on what a good and compact power supply to use would be.

Thanks,
Daniel
Mr. Shookie is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 11:56 AM
  #327  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 886
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I have the 25 amp Radio shack unit and it's a great power supply. I currently run two Advantage chargers, my fan for my integy 030 tray and my Yokomo motor system off it, sometimes all at once and the thing never even flinches. I saw that the one Shookie said and it looks nice too, but I just know that the Radio Shack one is awessome. Also, if there is a problem with it, there are a million Radio Shacks around.
Chris Brown is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 12:18 PM
  #328  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 483
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Maybe someone has the same problem:

I was unable to use the delay with the step charge mode, it seems to impossible???
It works fine with the normal charge mode.

Any help will be appreciate. Actually I bought this charger for the step charge mode and the delay mode.

Bye
Hugo is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 12:21 PM
  #329  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
rocketron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: palm desert
Posts: 2,280
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hugo
Maybe someone has the same problem:

I was unable to use the delay with the step charge mode, it seems to impossible???
It works fine with the normal charge mode.

Any help will be appreciate. Actually I bought this charger for the step charge mode and the delay mode.

Bye
i do not believe it was intended to function in the step charge mode disappointing i agree but great charger minus one nice feature
rocketron is offline  
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 PM
  #330  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
I have the 25 amp Radio shack unit and it's a great power supply. I currently run two Advantage chargers, my fan for my integy 030 tray and my Yokomo motor system off it, sometimes all at once and the thing never even flinches. I saw that the one Shookie said and it looks nice too, but I just know that the Radio Shack one is awessome. Also, if there is a problem with it, there are a million Radio Shacks around.
kewdawg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.