Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simple Green

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't recommend the simple green from my experiences with it, it takes a minimum a 1/2 to 3/4 of the first lap for the tires to come in / heat up. The WD40 takes a while to air dry, but here's the key, don't let it air dry. I normally put it on leaving it to sit for ~10 minutes, wipe of ~5 minutes before my race. The WD40 does not get sticky and I think this may be the key. I am only theorizing here, but maybe the reason why some of the other additives don't perform well and as consistent is because of they make the tire feel sticky. Maybe this sticky feeling of the tire contributes to the tire acting like fly paper and picking up a little more dust/dirt. Tires treated with WD40 are not sticky once you wipe it off. It could be that we automatically think that the tire has to be sticky in order to perform well, so we are always tstign for that sticky result on the tires. Food for thought...

Fred Hubbard
Old 08-12-2002, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

That makes sence I will test stuff out at socal tuesday. I will stick with my pargon always
Old 08-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm not implying to do away Paragon. Paragon is a tool, like a phillips head screwdriver. Just because you don't need to use the screwdriver at that very moment or for weeks at a time, you still keep it, because you know in the back of your mind one day you may need it. The same is true of Paragon. Cheers...

Fred Hubbard
Old 08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

How long do you guys let the WD40 soak into rubber tyres before your wipe them off, for carpet running?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi all--

Here is a little trick that I came across. Put your tires in a Zip Lock, than spraying some WD-40 into the bag. Seal up the bag and let them sit in the sun till just before you race. I was surprise at how hot the tires got the first time I did this. Give them a quick whip down, and you are ready to race.

I've been doing this for the last couple of races that I've gone to, and I have great traction for the whole race.

Let me know what you think???
Old 08-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fatdoggy
How long do you guys let the WD40 soak into rubber tyres before your wipe them off, for carpet running?

Thanks.
At least 5 minutes or so, and then wipe off.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Team R
Hi all--

Here is a little trick that I came across. Put your tires in a Zip Lock, than spraying some WD-40 into the bag. Seal up the bag and let them sit in the sun till just before you race. I was surprise at how hot the tires got the first time I did this. Give them a quick whip down, and you are ready to race.

I've been doing this for the last couple of races that I've gone to, and I have great traction for the whole race.

Let me know what you think???
Yeah it works.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by fhubbard
Maybe this sticky feeling of the tire contributes to the tire acting like fly paper and picking up a little more dust/dirt.
I think you have hit on a key problem... Locally, our sedan racing is at the HobbyTown parking lot series. The parking lot is a totally unprepared concrete surface (they don't even sweep it). I have had to totally stop using ANY form of tire "sauce" -- every time i tried something, the tires would feel great in the pits (nice and sticky), but within 10-15 feet on the track, the car was on ice! When I examined the tires, I realized that what you said is exactly what was happening -- they would pick up all the dust and grit from the track (like a "lint roller") and lose traction. After 2-3 laps, they would seem to scrape that stuff off, but by then too much time had been lost.

As much as I like Simple Green (use it every week for OFFROAD tires in my tire scrubber), I have had to stop using it for sedan... Now my routine is to use a small wire brush to brush all the "crud" off the tires after a run and hand wipe them clean -- nothing more. This gives me a clean tire surface that is not "sticky" and I get a much better start to the race. unfortunately, this also means that I have one less "tuning" option (no tire "sauce" options)...
Old 08-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by kevink2

At least 5 minutes or so, and then wipe off.
Thanks