R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2002, 09:33 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Default New Yokomo Touring Car

Word from Chris Tosolini is there is a new Yokomo design currently being developed in Japan. It is a belt and gear drive train. The car debuted at the worlds, however was not used due to the lack of r&d in a short time frame, therefore the special was used. According to Chris, the car has the motor mounted just aft of center with three gears; one being the spur/gear combination, and the last the differential. The spur/pully shaft drives the forward pully via a belt. The main reason Yokomo went to this type of design is because the current car is somewhat a bad design. The front and rear universals are at angles not straight, and the rear belt tends to wear fast due to the extremely high rotational speed compared to the forward belt. Additionally, the low wind turns motors commonly used by the factory pilots break or strips the rear belt. The new car design, straightens the universals, and with the gear drive train in the rear, the car better handles the torque stresses of the modified motors. There are also some subtle changes to geometry. No word yet on the release date, however Chris mentioned it should be out before the end of the year.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:54 AM   #2
Tech Addict

finally a new car from yokomo~~
i guess they have to be difference since there is all kinds of touring designes out there~
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 10:14 AM   #3
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

HPI tried driving the rear using gears on the first generation RS4...they changed that pretty quick!! Rear belt wear is the same on most 2 belt designs...If that is the only excuse Yokomo can give for going gear drive......something is very wrong!!!

Watch out for the gear drive is better than belt drive discussion....hahaha.........
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 10:46 AM   #4

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Why can't they just stick with two belts? Ah well, knowing yokomo I'm sure it will be killer.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 10:46 AM   #5
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I knew it couldn't be too much longer. However the drivetrain works in the car, I'm sure it will be up to Yokomo's standards. Cant wait to see it.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

looks like we will have another "Flavor of the Month"

LOL

Rear gear drive... hmmm anyone thinking ole HPI??

Rich

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 11:21 AM   #7

I hate people who go and critisise new cars just because they know they aren't going to get one.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:39 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to MaverickRacing
Talking

Hopefully it will have the same cost as the mr4tc.
MaverickRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 12:02 PM   #9

I also hope they won't follow Losi and include absolutely nothing in the kit. You think you are getting a great deal for 200 bucks, saving 75 dollars over what most other car kits cost, but what you don't realise is that 75 dollars is going to translate into 400 dollars once you buy everything that those "more expensive" car have
Old 08-10-2002, 12:11 PM   #10
Tech Addict

the graphite kit, ti tie-rods, screws and hinge pins all totalled is not even half of 400........and those aren't really that necessary that you must get them or you gonna die..........
Old 08-10-2002, 12:35 PM   #11

I'm, sorry, that came out wrong, I mean 400 total.

Graphite chassis, threaded shocks, roll center blocks, titanium tie-rods, ball bearing steering...
Old 08-10-2002, 12:39 PM   #12
Tech Addict

hahaha
in that case it's pretty ture
i bought the xxxs for it's sealed drivetrain
need not to worry abouth rocks get between the spur and pinion
Old 08-10-2002, 02:26 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

I would agree that it would be nice for yokomo to produce a top quality race type kit. I have been running my xxxs for about a year now. Like the car but it had to be the most expensive sedan to get race ready. The kit had little that is still on the car today. Look at the new Tamiya car, it is decked out for the 270 ish price range. Tamyia is not known as a "bargin" type company. I do not mind spending $250 for a kit if it is ready to be raced. Looking forward to yokomo's new kit. Had a mr4 when it was the cheap way to go fast! Remeber getting it for $149 and going fast! Yokomo always comes up with somethin new!

We need some spy pics now to get us by a little longer.
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 04:55 PM   #14

heh, spy pics would be nice, hopefully they'll use a better camera than the one the "spy" who took the early pics of the XXXS did
Old 08-10-2002, 07:33 PM   #15
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedo
I hate people who go and critisise new cars just because they know they aren't going to get one.
I didnt mean to come across like that.... yes it was a smart a** remark, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I was commenting on how cyclical the rc market is. If ya sit back and look at the cars then & now (including the race scene) I think you will see exactly what I meant.

I have been a die hard Yok fan for a very long time (any one remember the yok dog fighter? or super dog fighter?)
and dont plan to stop being one.

Rich

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote