Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

It is nice to see this car as I think this will be the next big racing class.

Maybe not as is, but if other manufacturers sell pan chassis modified to use sedan foam wheels/tires and to fit under current touring car bodies, you will have something.

Less expense AND more speed, it can't get any better.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe...4 cell with 19-turns? Boo-yah!
Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
I'm looking at mine in my office right now...still has the #3 on it from TA in 2001 and the tire marks from Che...well, another car I would jump on this class in a heartbeat!
the wound is deep on this one...Gary, you know Chen comes by our shop weekly, maybe you can drop in a say "hi"?

Steve Wang
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Been out for years Rick and haven't caught on yet - they're called 10L3 Touring Cars - and Bud makes a wheel adapter for the rubber or foam tires too.

The Tamiya and Corally cars with the other conversions might work ok for asphalt or concrete but why bother on carpet? I'll stick to 1/12.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slots
Been out for years Rick and haven't caught on yet - they're called 10L3 Touring Cars - and Bud makes a wheel adapter for the rubber or foam tires too.

The Tamiya and Corally cars with the other conversions might work ok for asphalt or concrete but why bother on carpet? I'll stick to 1/12.
I am aware of the cars but when you have one company making cars there is not a lot of excitement in the class. Tamiya's touring cars were somewhat popular, but the explosion in growth occurred when Yokomo and HPI released touring cars. And you see where it is today.

I don't think the class will take over 1/12. What gets me though, and you really never see it because they don't race together, is when a 1/10 pan car with a stock motor can turn the same lap times as a mod sedan, which is three times as expense and far more complicated.

I see a pan touring car as:

less expensive
less complicated
faster speeds
better handling
easier on motors
easier on batteries

I truly believe all it will take is someone like AE to show up with a full race pan touring car running circles around current touring cars and the change will be set in motion.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Unhappy NO SPEC CLASS

I spoke to the powers that be at Tamiya, at the LA hobby show, and...
No spec class is being considered.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nagatahawk
I spoke to the powers that be at Tamiya, at the LA hobby show, and...
No spec class is being considered.
All of the Tamiya classes are basically Spec classes, just different levels. Plus, they do have the TL-01/TT-01 Spec classes too.

Rick, we used to equal or better the open mod sedan lap times with the F103 cars, 2000's, and mabuchi motors. I think the difference between this car and previous pan-sedan classes are:

You already have a group of drivers who won this car in a number of different variations (F103RX/RS/LM/TRF/L) that have been itching to race them again.

Tamiya owners are a different group than any other group. They will buy a kit just because it says Tamiya on it, even if they never assemble it!

No other manufacturer has a series like TCS. The closest was Kyosho's Mini-Z class or HPI's thing, but they still pale in comparison.

Unlike other Pan-sedan classes, this class would still use 6-cell packs, eliminating a barrier to entry for people who don't want to buy seperate packs.

And there are some of us who hope that the release of this version of the chassis means there will be a return of the F103-based F1 class.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

When tamiya is going to release these animals ?

I like the idea of simplicity ( direct drive + pan car ) for touring car sedan.

Must be under weight
Old 11-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

not sure why they don't install the servo laid down. for the F103 F-1 class the standup servo was needed to fit the narrow body, but they eventually released a wider chassis for the F103 lemans class.... given that this is going to be under a touring body, i think they should lay the servo down! (so the weight distribution is off a teensy bit to center the servo horn - big deal )

i would be interested in this... my wish list would be
-fits side x side packs
-laid down mounted steering servo

hope it becomes a tcs class!!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:23 PM
B3x
Tech Adept

It looks like we could use the F201 wheels and tires on that chassis...
Old 11-24-2005, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

It has to become a TCS class. Or other wise the TCS will be in big trouble and will lose interest. In my opinion but maybe not

People don't under stand how easy this car is to work on and how much faster it is compared to other sedans. It would be a blast to drive!

I ran Direct drive sedan and I was faster with a stock motor than most toruing cars with a mod! the thing was blalistic. My first Driect drive sedan car was an F103 with a sedan body on it and it was devilshly faster compared to other driect drive touring cars. I TQed with it but came in second due to the fact i waited half a lap for the other driver to catch up to me so we could duel. (Wow what a nice guy that Lee Passehl is! ) Even though I came in second it was banned at my track due to the fact it was not a direct drive toruing car and it was too fast.

The TCS is in bad need of a new class that everyone can afford and be competitve in. It would be the wrost thing in the world to me if the TCS american series failed to exist anymore and i wouldn't know what to race in
I'd probably race in the IIC but i really don't know wht I'd do without tamiya.
I will always race ther cars with or without the TCS.

I rest my case

-Lee

Last edited by Leester-111; 11-24-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Oh By the way Happy Thanksgiving everyone and have fun! May you have a bleesed day! And may your family be healthly and happy throughout the holiday season!

-lee
Old 11-24-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Gary, DOC, Marty?You all up for this class!? I am! maybe we can have class here at trackside!

-Lee
Old 11-24-2005, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Count me in.
Later
Doc
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default picture

Hay DOC do you know where I can find those picture from the TCS race in Laurel from Aug. that someone had on one of these site ?
Thank's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.