Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewWestF1
@Team Lotus ... don't think 3Racing really has issue with paying for advertising . rcmart.com and tqrcracing.com .. 3Racing adverts everywhere .. I see 3Racing ad blocks on forums and websites everywhere . all of that costs $$ . i think the politics comment holds weight but not sure why American magazines get ignored by them and good luck even finding FGX's in Canadian shops . trust me on that, i've paid a lot in shipping from Hong Kong to get my FGX and parts.

You make perfect sense! I just can't figure out why they would ignore the American magazines and Canada as well!

I think I may try calling them direct; I hope the cell phone bill won't be too bad, and that I can speak with someone who speaks English.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

are you guys running gear diff or ball diff, if so what did you do to get the gear diff to work? thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gsxr0311
are you guys running gear diff or ball diff, if so what did you do to get the gear diff to work? thanks
I sanded down the back of the gears (flat ) I removed the spacers behind the smaller gears . then reassembled .. works great .. Then went to a ball diff/ ceramic bearings , car is easier to drive hard and rotates faster ....
Old 08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Went through the 3racing gear diff build guide, try that first, very detailed, on the 3racing website, articles
Couldn't get out of my head the 10+grams savings of the ball diff, as this car needs everything it can to run with the DD cars
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I seem to recall reading a very detailed review of the FGX in one of the British rc car magazines a while back; so that would indicate to me that they have some interest outside of Asia. Maybe they just don't care much about the USA market! I don't know, it makes no sense to me!
Simple answer, it gets in the UK magazines because MuchMore Racing, the UK distributor, sent them a car to test. Same with the F109 before that, it's nothing to do with the 3Racing factory at all. Does 3Racing have an official US distributor? If so it's those who you should be asking questions, not the manufacturer on the other side of the world.
I know the editor and several testers for a UK magazine, and the biggest reason particular cars are tested is entirely down to which cars they get sent and close co-operation with the UK distributors which make reviewing cars much easier.

Have all the other F1 cars been featured in the US magazines? That's all of them, not just one or two Tamiya F104 kits. The magazines have to focus on the people who are most likely to buy the magazines, not just small niche markets like F1, which is why they are currently full of off road.

If you were a manufacturer and almost all of your sales were in the USA, would you be going out of your way to promote your cars in China where you sell very few kits?

If you are expecting replies to your emails, remember this is the same as expecting Losi to reply to emails they receive in Chinese, you are relying on someone in 3Racings offices dealing with emails having a good command of English.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by terry.sc
Simple answer, it gets in the UK magazines because MuchMore Racing, the UK distributor, sent them a car to test. Same with the F109 before that, it's nothing to do with the 3Racing factory at all. Does 3Racing have an official US distributor? If so it's those who you should be asking questions, not the manufacturer on the other side of the world.
I know the editor and several testers for a UK magazine, and the biggest reason particular cars are tested is entirely down to which cars they get sent and close co-operation with the UK distributors which make reviewing cars much easier.
I know there isn't an OFFICIAL distributor for 3Racing in Canada. And I agree that they are the ones that should be pushing to get the products into magazines and ads on online stores in the specific country.
Have all the other F1 cars been featured in the US magazines? That's all of them, not just one or two Tamiya F104 kits. The magazines have to focus on the people who are most likely to buy the magazines, not just small niche markets like F1, which is why they are currently full of off road.
Again, great point because the majority of product and info you get out there is related to the Tamiya line-up which also makes it reasonable to assume that the Tamiya distributors in Canda, US and Globally have a mandate to make Tamiya a household name within the hobby. There are Italian, German and other Japanese manufacturers that I've read about and seen some very nice F1's in their product lines but finding the information was difficult to say the least
If you were a manufacturer and almost all of your sales were in the USA, would you be going out of your way to promote your cars in China where you sell very few kits? Considering what an obviously huge market it is over there, yes, as a manufacturer I would make the push and hire a localization team.
If you are expecting replies to your emails, remember this is the same as expecting Losi to reply to emails they receive in Chinese, you are relying on someone in 3Racings offices dealing with emails having a good command of English.Going back to my last comment, if you have a market that is buying your product you have the responsibility to have a team of people to manage those markets OR limit the reach of your sales channels and don't bother competing with Tamiya, who does answer your emails.
All in all, if you want to do business internationally you should have the ability to manage your international customer base whether it's through distributors, media outlets or front line hobby store owner/ employees. I love my FGX, I will likely buy another because it's a fun build BUT it would be nice if 3Racing took the time to acknowledge their foreign markets. With luck, this will find it's way somehow to the boys at 3Racing and they'll do something about it or find a distributor in North America to help a growing group of F1 RC racing enthusiasts.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by mb racer
I sanded down the back of the gears (flat ) I removed the spacers behind the smaller gears . then reassembled .. works great .. Then went to a ball diff/ ceramic bearings , car is easier to drive hard and rotates faster ....
Yup, the gear dif is not very efficient i hesitated switching but once i did i never looked back! car is much easier to drive.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

@Team Lotus ... don't think 3Racing really has issue with paying for advertising . rcmart.com and tqrcracing.com .. 3Racing adverts everywhere .. I see 3Racing ad blocks on forums and websites everywhere . all of that costs $$ . i think the politics comment holds weight but not sure why American magazines get ignored by them and good luck even finding FGX's in Canadian shops . trust me on that, i've paid a lot in shipping from Hong Kong to get my FGX and parts.
Don't forget SpeedtechRC!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

ok, ill get the gear diff. i built the diff correctly, its smooth but the car doesnt turn well enough because i think the o rings in the diff are too tight. i was checking if someone had found better o rings. i like the gear diff because its little to no maintenance. o well.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

the ball diff working better makes sense because even in 17.5 tc the ball diff works better than a gear diff. gear diff is more for mod cars.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've punched at least a thousand laps through my ball diff so far and it doesnt look like needing a rebuild any time soon. I used ceramic balls , but would like to upgrade the thrust .....
Old 08-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by terry.sc

If you were a manufacturer and almost all of your sales were in the USA, would you be going out of your way to promote your cars in China where you sell very few kits?

If you are expecting replies to your emails, remember this is the same as expecting Losi to reply to emails they receive in Chinese, you are relying on someone in 3Racings offices dealing with emails having a good command of English.
Well, to that end, I just sent an email to TQ Racing in Chino, CA as they seem to be a 3 Racing distributor here in the USA. If they can't/won't help, I will try SpeedtechRC next. You make a very good point, terry!!

However, I also agree with NewWest that 3 Racing needs to do a better job of acknowledging their international markets. I believe a lot of FGX's are sold here in the States, and as such we deserve better attention from the manufacturer. Hopefully either TQ Racing or SpeedtechRC will step up to the plate in behalf of 3 Racing and provide an FGX for a print magazine review!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Looks like a very nice "online" magazine; I bookmarked it! However, the only reference I could find for the FGX was the McKune chassis conversion; nothing on the FGX as a review/test of the car. Besides, my original post was in reference to the "print" rc car magazines, not online magazines.

Thanks anyway; at least I now have a new online magazine to view!

However, my original question still stands: Does anyone know why 3 Racing refuses to cooperate with the "print" rc magazines and provide them with cars to test/review such as the FGX?

They do that, at least in HK.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._4387600_n.jpg

But most likely they just can't be bothered. Especially for products so cheap like the FGX.
Plus it's not new, enough data online to search about.
People who like it will just buy it, just for the design. Many people play with FGX also owns/races F103/F104.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nicholasxuu
They do that, at least in HK.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._4387600_n.jpg

But most likely they just can't be bothered. Especially for products so cheap like the FGX.
Plus it's not new, enough data online to search about.
People who like it will just buy it, just for the design. Many people play with FGX also owns/races F103/F104.

cheap? odd, i'm at about $700 USD now with my FGX with add ons and hop ups, maybe i'm naive in RC but that ain't cheap. i seriously think that 3Racing needs to invest in hype outside of Hong Kong. period.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

cheap? odd, i'm at about $700 USD now with my FGX with add ons and hop ups, maybe i'm naive in RC but that ain't cheap. i seriously think that 3Racing needs to invest in hype outside of Hong Kong. period.
I mean the basic chassis is cheap, like $87 shipped.
If 3R is going to sponsor any magazine to do some biased review(I'm saying sponsored), I doubt they will ship a fully modified one with exotek conversion on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.