Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

had last night out with the vbc for the season. seems mod setup works a lot better for 13.5 than a typical stock setup, so ill have a pretty good start point next year. Also means parity between the cars which is really handy we rebuilding them for next season. basically i was able to swap only the pods between the one chassis that had my hobbywing esc.

next year ill be getting a second hobbywing 1s but i also plan to buy new servos. i have a savox 1250mg and some random oldschool airtronics that has worked, bht the savox doesnt fit any of the predrilled holes for servo mount.

are there any metal gear servos people recommend to pick up for this car that fit perfectly? I guess it doesnt HAVE to be metal gear but i like that peace of mind if i can get it.
had my savox for 4 years now with no incident. just has to be shoegooed to fit this car which broke, and i had to improvise a servo mount with a bunch of bs lol.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This past weekend we held the Mile High Indoor Champs at 5280 Raceway, here in Denver, Colorado. Dave Ehrlich and I were both racing VBC Lightning 12s in Mod 12th, albeit on slightly different setup paths. With this being my home track, my car was pretty good right from the start, so much of my time was spent trying different tire compounds and minor tweaks to caster.

I ended up qualifying 5th and finishing 4th in the A-main. Changes from my 'normal' setups include the following:

- Pro-One R/C Blue fronts
- Xenon front end, 10 degree reactive, big shim back.
- Slightly smaller rear tire (41 mm) than my usual 41.75/42 mm.

I wish I had something for Paul in the quals and the main, but it didn't work out that way. Oh well, time to take some time off and then start preparing for worlds.

My final setup sheet is here:
http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...il_13_2014.pdf
Old 04-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Fantastic runs all weekend Chris! It was a pleasure racing and talking with you. Looking forward to prepping for the Worlds with you.

AWD
Old 04-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have just order mine and super excited this is my very first 1/12 pan car, I have been reading and I have one question has VBC corrected the Lower Control arm issue or is everything still switching over to the AE lower Control Arm V2?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bobbyb84
has VBC corrected the Lower Control arm issue or is everything still switching over to the AE lower Control Arm V2?

Thanks
I believe that any new kits (so not from those first few batches) should have the new lower arms. As such, I don't think you should have any issues, but get in touch with the place where you purchased the kit if that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

What was the problem with arms? I've had my kits since january and no problems aside from turnbuckles.
Still curious about servos that properly fit?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by valk
What was the problem with arms? I've had my kits since january and no problems aside from turnbuckles.
Still curious about servos that properly fit?
The original lower arms had an issue where ride height would be uneven from side to side. I believe new arms were shipped out as early as December of 2013, so if you purchased new kits in January it is likely that you missed this issue.

I vaguely recall you asking about servos earlier, but I am not sure what the issue is. The chassis has holes cut for all of the normal servo brands, so there should be no issues with making a servo fit. I think the only servo that might be slightly off is Savox, as their output spline is slightly off from the other options, IIRC.

I use a KO PDS951 and it fits perfectly.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

That's the problem I'm having =\ all savox? Guess ill grab some airtronics next indoor season.
Problem with my savox is it doesn't actually line up with any two servo mount holes. A slot like ae would solve this np.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
I believe that any new kits (so not from those first few batches) should have the new lower arms. As such, I don't think you should have any issues, but get in touch with the place where you purchased the kit if that doesn't seem to be the case.
Awesome! Thanks for that info and servo info as well.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Savox 1250 works

Originally Posted by valk
That's the problem I'm having =\ all savox? Guess ill grab some airtronics next indoor season.
Problem with my savox is it doesn't actually line up with any two servo mount holes. A slot like ae would solve this np.
Hey valk,
I fitted the same Savox servo you have onto my new VBC L12, try again. Don't tighten the 4 side screws until the 2 chassis screw holes match up.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Unfortunately selling my lightning 12 as there are no tracks in Georgia to run it on anymore.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ch-7100-a.html
Old 06-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

I might actually replace the servo next indoor season with something a little faster. i didnt realyl know anything about servos when i picked it up, just wanted somthing reasonably fast with metal gears that i couldnt kill.

it served my first three years in a 12r5 flawlessly, though similar issue with not being perfectly centered.. belive me I did try installing it many different ways to get it to line up and always ended up at a compromise that id have to trim out.

I have been told its amazing i can drive a car that doesn't always have symetrical steering lol...

So it looks like im going to be giving this car a shot on pavement in two weeks. any base settings i should try?
track is sugarwatered parking lot. fairly smooth but has painted lines on it ect.
running a reedy 4.0, hobbywing 3.1.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Guys!!
Any asphalt setups available yet? Medium to low traction?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mornedn
Hi Guys!!
Any asphalt setups available yet? Medium to low traction?
Most of the VBC folks who respond regularly here on rctech are from North America, where we have very little 12th scale asphalt racing (unfortunately.) I think there have been some recent posts in the 12th scale thread about tire choice for asphalt, which is where I would recommend starting. Get the right tires, go from there.

I believe that with Pro-One tires we are recommending Orange rears (different than the synthetic orange Parma/Jaco used to sell) with Team Purple or Double Pink fronts.

My initial setup recommendation would be to start with the rear of the car soft (think like 15k tube lube, softest center spring you have, AE black sides.) Depending on how bumpy the track is you will likely also set ride height a bit higher, and you might also want to run a higher-downforce body like the Protoform TR-12.

Sorry I can't be of more help; we just don't have a lot of asphalt 12th racing here in North America.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
Most of the VBC folks who respond regularly here on rctech are from North America, where we have very little 12th scale asphalt racing (unfortunately.) I think there have been some recent posts in the 12th scale thread about tire choice for asphalt, which is where I would recommend starting. Get the right tires, go from there.

I believe that with Pro-One tires we are recommending Orange rears (different than the synthetic orange Parma/Jaco used to sell) with Team Purple or Double Pink fronts.

My initial setup recommendation would be to start with the rear of the car soft (think like 15k tube lube, softest center spring you have, AE black sides.) Depending on how bumpy the track is you will likely also set ride height a bit higher, and you might also want to run a higher-downforce body like the Protoform TR-12.

Sorry I can't be of more help; we just don't have a lot of asphalt 12th racing here in North America.
^^^^ This is solid advice. Tires and traction additive are going to be your main changes. Pink or magenta rears with an assortment of pink, magneta, double pink and lylac are all tires I would initially show up with. I remember black can paragon followed by an application of suntan lotion if its dusty or hot out.

But as Chris mentioned, we don't really have the opportunity to run asphalt 1/12. Its always indoors in North America.

Hopefully that helps.

-Korey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.