Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jerry P
I broke an exacto trying to do it the other day. Maybe a carpet knife would work better.

Thanks Mike. I'll order one of those up and get a clamp on hub also. Being that the axle isnt changing there should be no issue with gear mesh like barry mentioned.

Leave it to Mr. "12th scale fo' life" to come up with a solution...
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

So I ran my car fairly box stock this weekend and it was pretty good. Only changes were 15k in the tubes and on the king pins. Ended up running the audi body. I'm not a fan of cutting the bsr rims so I'll be purchasing a bunch of Jaco wheels. I know every makes it sound easy to trim a wheel down but not for me. I guess I'm lame. Foam is easy to remove but plastic rim not so much. I feel like 1/12 is about being very accurate and at this point cutting a rim down in my hands will be anything but accurate. so all in all the car was good out of the box, lots of people took notice. I did end up doing the v2 AE arms.
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I'm with you on the cutting tires. Were you running the VBC or AE center shock?
Don't use an Xacto for cutting the rims, potentially too dangerous. Good for cutting the foam but not good for the rim imo. Use a tire sanding stick instead on the rim. The same stick that you use to radius the tire once cut. Mine has something called a dragon skin on it and it makes this task pretty easy. Course sand paper should work fine as well.

Steve
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Whenever I have narrowed tires/wheels, I have done so using an xacto knife on the truer... I use safety goggles as it can potentially be dangerous, not to mention that some pieces of foam/plastic can fly up.

It is not difficult at all to get an accurate/smooth cut if you have a sharp blade and a quality tire truer.

I also recommend using the fatter xacto blades, not the standard ones... They are much less likely to break or have the tips splinter off. Like so:

Old 12-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
Don't use an Xacto for cutting the rims, potentially too dangerous. Good for cutting the foam but not good for the rim imo. Use a tire sanding stick instead on the rim. The same stick that you use to radius the tire once cut. Mine has something called a dragon skin on it and it makes this task pretty easy. Course sand paper should work fine as well.

Steve
Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Whenever I have narrowed tires/wheels, I have done so using an xacto knife on the truer... I use safety goggles as it can potentially be dangerous, not to mention that some pieces of foam/plastic can fly up.

It is not difficult at all to get an accurate/smooth cut if you have a sharp blade and a quality tire truer.

I also recommend using the fatter xacto blades, not the standard ones... They are much less likely to break or have the tips splinter off. Like so:

Thanks guys. For now i'm going to get an irs 3mm offset hub and clamp on hub then i'll be able to adjust the width with shims. Maybe one day VBC will put out some option hubs so my car can match again.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks guys. For now i'm going to get an irs 3mm offset hub and clamp on hub then i'll be able to adjust the width with shims. Maybe one day VBC will put out some option hubs so my car can match again.
Jerry,

Most cars have already gone to an offset pod design for brushless motors. There is a good chance that VBC already has a narrow diff hub. Measure the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the diff ring mounting surface and I'll do the same on the IRS 3mm offset hub.

You looked great at Horsham for the first time out with the VBC.

Ralph
Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Jerry,

You wont have any Problems at All. Just re shim the axle that all ya have to do. I've used these 3mm off set hubs on my 12r5 when I ran CRC/BSR tires and had no issues at all.

I broke an exacto trying to do it the other day. Maybe a carpet knife would work better.

Thanks Mike. I'll order one of those up and get a clamp on hub also. Being that the axle isnt changing there should be no issue with gear mesh like barry mentioned.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ralph m
Jerry,

Most cars have already gone to an offset pod design for brushless motors. There is a good chance that VBC already has a narrow diff hub. Measure the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the diff ring mounting surface and I'll do the same on the IRS 3mm offset hub.

You looked great at Horsham for the first time out with the VBC.

Ralph
ok i just ordered one of these hubs... If jerry can drive it so can i...
Old 12-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexRCProshop
ok i just ordered one of these hubs... If jerry can drive it so can i...
thanks danny..
Old 12-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Check out the holiday special on the Lightning..... while they last.

http://www.timezonehobbies.com/index...roducts_id=819
Old 12-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Hello

a small question...what servo fit ?
Old 12-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default servo for Lightning 12

I am running an Airtronics 94145 servo in my Lightning 12. I know that the JR servo, Savox servo, as well as the Futaba 9650 will also fit in the car

Hope that helps,

Robert
Old 12-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916
Check out the holiday special on the Lightning..... while they last.

http://www.timezonehobbies.com/index...roducts_id=819
thats an awesome deal! good job Mark!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

thks Robert
but more servo fit between the mount...problem is axe ...i have one servo,fit between mount..BUT the spline is slight offest to center of car..
This is why ask this info...
Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corally
thks Robert
but more servo fit between the mount...problem is axe ...i have one servo,fit between mount..BUT the spline is slight offest to center of car..
This is why ask this info...
What servo are you using? Ive used both the KO Propo and the JR3650 servo with no problem. Spline is centered perfectly. Ive seen on other cars with Savox servos and the spline is not centered.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Hello
I nave some servos..but any fit without offset ...JR servo no found in Italy.
i think futaba 9650 is ok...what lo fit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.