1/8th scale Motonica

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th scale Motonica

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Here you can see my shadow body. I try to display the front arm clearance.

I think the car is very aggressive with the standard setup. I personally don't like too aggressive cars, I like to drive as smooth as possible. So I install a pretty high gourney strip on the body, this helps a lot. This car runs very good, I wish you good luck on the race.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-body-front-upper-arm.jpg  
Old 10-12-2007, 01:10 PM
LCM
Tech Initiate

A little bit vage, but really i can see more clearance between the body and the upper arm. Which brand the shadow body is?, here in Spain, we use the Kyosho, the protoform (i donīt remember the homologation number) and nowadays mostly the central, wich is proving to be the fastest one.
Thanks.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

Shadow is the new protoform body. Here you can see it: http://www.protoformracebodies.com/

It has very high down force, and it has very low CG. When your tracks traction is not high, you can make huge difference with this body. By the way here you can see a little mod made by me. The rear floating body post can sometimes go out of it's guide. I made a small hole on guide pin and install a body clips on this hole. Now the rear body post goes never out of it's guide.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-picture-020.jpg  
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 PM
LCM
Tech Initiate

Iīve had that problem before, and iīve solved it legthening the pin, so itīs almost impossible for it to came out of the rear body mount. Iīve lengthen it by drilling a hole in the middle of the pin and adding a 5mm aluminium piece. It worked nice, but in my last race i dah a "touch" with other racer and my piece broke, so i canīt show you a picture. The problem i see in your idea, is that the clip can touch the body mount when the suspension is in itīs more estensioned position, and if so, the suspension doesnīt work freely. Have a look and tell us.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 PM
LCM
Tech Initiate

Deepfree_z, iīve seen the Shadow and the newer one, the Frizbee in the link you wrote before and iīve noticed that both of them have a special shape over the front upper arms for them to clear the body, is it correct?.

If thatīs correct, that could be a perfect answer to my doubt, because the solution iīve adopted is almost the same. In Spain at least till today, iīve never seen neither a Shadow nor a Frizbee, i hope they will arrive soon.
Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

When I take this picture the car is on my hand, so the suspention is already on its lower limit. I inspect it during suspention travel and find no problems.

And yes, both bodies have spacial shapes over the front upper arms, but if they don't have any, it won't be a problem, because front upper arm clearance is already high enough.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LCM
Iīve had that problem before, and iīve solved it legthening the pin, so itīs almost impossible for it to came out of the rear body mount. Iīve lengthen it by drilling a hole in the middle of the pin and adding a 5mm aluminium piece. It worked nice, but in my last race i dah a "touch" with other racer and my piece broke, so i canīt show you a picture. The problem i see in your idea, is that the clip can touch the body mount when the suspension is in itīs more estensioned position, and if so, the suspension doesnīt work freely. Have a look and tell us.
Dude, I did the same as you did by drilling a hole and just tapping in a 3X10 hex into the end. It sticks out about 4mm or so and the head of the hex is just big enough around that it doesn't pop off. I tried it another way once and did manage to break it the same as you. I think I taped it and tightend it down too much to not allow enough end play. I think the best sollution for this is to buy the "ergal" piece or just stop hitting stuff. This I will have to admit is the only design flaw, because when that thing pops out of it's groove, Handeling suffers greatly and it doesn't need to be a very big hit to pop it off. But the way I did it this last time seems to be holding up quite well. I'll post a few pics. As far as your method deepfree_z I never thought of that. Let us know how it holds up and if it does get in the way with the suspension travel. Looks ok to me, but hard to say. By the way, does your camera have a "Macro" feature on it. If so you need to use that so your close ups don''t turn out so blurry. I know the cheaper camera's or "phone" camera's usually don't have this feature. But check it out bro. Later guys.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Adept

Hi all Motonica users,

What optional parts are you using or planning to buy? I think the stock 2-speed shaft is very heavy but I can't be sure the durability of the optional ti shaft. Have anybody try it?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Titanium 2 sp shaft

Originally Posted by deepfree_z
Hi all Motonica users,

What optional parts are you using or planning to buy? I think the stock 2-speed shaft is very heavy but I can't be sure the durability of the optional ti shaft. Have anybody try it?
Hi Deepfree_z,
I have been using the original opt titanium 2 speed shaft and titanium middle shaft for a while now. So far there hasn't been signs of wear and problem.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The french site RCMAG has a page on the 2wd Motonica here:
http://www.rcmag.com/reviews/index_piste110.html
Always interesting so see their designs.
Attached Thumbnails 1/8th scale Motonica-c.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-d.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-b.jpg   1/8th scale Motonica-.jpg  
Old 10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by deepfree_z
Hi all Motonica users,

Hey bro! Well for me, I would like to end up with ALL of the option parts. I don't think they are ALL 100% necessary, but they will help in the long run because of their strength and longevity. Plus they look trick as hell.

For myself, I only have a few of the optional parts. I do have the shorter titanium shaft but not the 2 speed one, need to get it. I would put this under the "need" catagory due to the rotational mass. Lighter things spin up faster. I also have the two rear pieces that the lower a-arm attaches to in the front of the a-arms (rear lower arm support, 06-011B). I think that these are important for longevity. I never had a problem with the originals, but I could see them needing replacement after time. I also have a pair of the Titanium rear dogbones (swingshafts) for weight saving...again rotational mass. I do have the X stiffener, however havent tried it out yet.

One thing that I have done is use the Mugen front CVD's. They fit like they were made for the car. I think I needed to shim a little, but nothing major. I prefer the CVD over swing shaft for a number of reasons. So this is an option if you guys didn't realize this already. Also the Mugen clutch and spur gears are the same including some of the 2 speed parts I believe. However only the BRAND NEW Mugen MRX4-X (I think) has the 3 pin flywheel. The other Mugen versions have the 4 pin, which will also work but you need 4 pin everything. I prefer the 3 pin. This all means that you can also use the Mugen lightweight clutchbell. I'm almost 100% positive that the threads of the pinions and clutchbells are the same. So this help us US owners out a bit in the clutch department until we have a new distributor step up, which I hope is soon.

Regarless of the optional parts or not, this car is still by far the strongest car on the market. I will put it up against ANY other manufacturer for torture testing. Plus it is one of the easiest and most fun cars I have ever driven! If you don't have a Motonica, you need one. trust me.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

I see the motonica car in at the worlds, Balestri drive car and handling is no good, car only good for slow driver.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Don't be too sure....

Don't be too sure... I've heard from many shop owners that this car may no longer be available in the US AT ALL !!! Personally, I think it's a damn shame- I know a few people who run it on the west coast- they also bought backup parts in BULK and probably spent triple the cost of the car (which is nothing to sneeze at, at a grand!!!) on the backup parts.

anyhow- I, like many people, wish we had these here in the good ol' US of A - however, it looks like I'll be sticking with Mugen for now, and that is NOT a bad thing at all!! Love my Mugen, Love my Novas!!!

Originally Posted by smac
I didn't even look at the price yet. I'm sure there will be more of them showing up this season anyway. The little that I have learned in my first year of this, it seems like many of the nitro on roaders don't care about price!! Makes me wonder why in the heck I didn't stick with electric!

I would expect to see some of the top drivers pick up rides from them and put them in some big A Mains this season.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by E.Rocha
I see the motonica car in at the worlds, Balestri drive car and handling is no good, car only good for slow driver.
DUDE, Dario qualified in the top ten at the worlds! Hello, what are you smoking? Explain to me these results then as well please...

Third round of the Italian Championship: 1st place for Dario Balestri - Motonica P8.0R - Novarossi

Dario Balestri
60:11.037

Massimo Fantini
60:11.218

Alberto Picco
60:01.355

Daniele Ielasi
59:21.638

Carmine Raiola
60:04.372

Lamberto Collari
60:08.611

Andrea Cristiani
60:12.437

Fabio Domanin
59:22.503

Domenico Calce
60:07.822

Marco Vanni
60:04.231

YEAH, THAT"S WHAT I THOUGHT. You don't have a clue to what your talking about.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScudMan
Don't be too sure... I've heard from many shop owners that this car may no longer be available in the US AT ALL !!! Personally, I think it's a damn shame- I know a few people who run it on the west coast- they also bought backup parts in BULK and probably spent triple the cost of the car (which is nothing to sneeze at, at a grand!!!) on the backup parts.

anyhow- I, like many people, wish we had these here in the good ol' US of A - however, it looks like I'll be sticking with Mugen for now, and that is NOT a bad thing at all!! Love my Mugen, Love my Novas!!!

Dude, you might be right. But I have a feeling that FASTOM (Motonica) just hasn't found the right distributor yet. I trully believe this car will be readily available for the 2008 season in the US. These business transactions can take time and patience is required. A great car as this should not be overlooked for the US.

We have to realize that this Company has only been around for a few years starting in 2005 I believe and the Motonica 8.0R has only been available since February or so of 2007. So not very long at all. These things take time, especially in this industry. So I am staying very optimistic about the cars future here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.