Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
Ah hah! that explains a lot. I couldn't figure out where that extra half degree of toe in came from. TY veecee for figuring that out for me.
Cheers John. I couldn't believe it myself when a non-Tamiya driver told me...

Originally Posted by syndr0me
...I'd fitted a new 2pc top deck on it, but found with this chassis, even on high grip, the 1pc consistently felt better. It's definitely an interesting tuning aid, though. Between the top deck, rear toe, anti-dive, and moving camber links up/down by 1mm, I seem to be able to tune for just about any change in track conditions...
Thanks for the feedback syndrome. When I noticed the anomaly between the old and new blocks, I was thinking of getting some new blocks, trying to decide between the 1-pce and 2-pce, but I thought shimming the 2-piece would be a hassle. Anyway I'm not going to bother for now and just hang onto my $$$. I don't think I am good enough to notice the tiny bit of sweep I am running at the front end by mixing old and new C blocks.

Your comments on tuning are spot on as that is exactly what I was doing yesterday. I'd put on the old 2-pce upper deck last club meet and definitely felt better rotation straight away. I also had a LTC-R body which didn't make as much a difference as I thought. Maybe it was because I was running the Speed 6 about 6mm forward (intentional) and the LTC-R about 3mm rearwards (bad body mounting).

Anyway after moving interstate, it's been a bit of a struggle for me to get on the pace. I have been about 0.5sec a lap slower than the fast guys which puts me almost a lap down in a 6 min race, when combined with the odd driving error. Not having the right tyres was part of that - seems all the fast guys are running MM Absolute 32s while I was trying to get by with Sorex 36s.

I built up some RP30's I bought last year and decided to scrub them when I got to the track yesterday. They felt pretty rubbish as I hadn't warmed them which made me nervous about using them. So I decided to wack on some Sorex 28's. These gave terrific grip but the fronts got a working over and the understeer got worse as the race wore on. This was reflected by the lap times in the last minute of the 6 min heats. Overall, the car was stable but still felt too stuck mid-corner and on exit.

First heat, laid down the rear shock - a little better.

Second heat, replaced front D-D with C-C - better again, managing to qualify 3rd but still about 8 seconds down.

1st final, took 0.5mm off rear hub ball stud for a little less camber gain - a little more steer again but not as much I thought. Made a few mistakes as well and finished 7th.

For the 2nd final, I changed from 45wt Losi oil to 40wt all round. I also bit the bullet and wacked on the RP30's. The car was totally transformed!!! I now had the grip and the balance did not change over the 6 min. The lighter oil was improved transition at the chicane. I finished 3rd but had 2nd for a while until I made a bobble... But I was on the pace and finished only 2-3 sec behind the 2 guys ahead.

So last final, what to do... The car felt pretty good and I was pumped. I decided not to mess with it too much. So I decided to move all of 5g of lead from the right front side (approx under the steering arm, but just to the right), to right rear side just in front of the suspension block. I got a good start but was busy trying to fend off 4th place in the 1st few turns which allowed 1st and 2nd to get a small break. Shook 4th loose and began to hunt down 2nd. Put pressure on 2nd who then bobbled and I made the pass. I was soon hunting down 1st.

I was on his tail and he too bobbled and I was in the lead halfway through the race! I got away from him a bit, but that gap got eroded when a car I just lapped decided to jump the chicane and T-bone me... So 2nd was back on my tail and applying pressure. I made a few little bobbles here and there to keep him in the hunt. And in the chicane for very last time, I got a bit too indecisive behind a couple of scrapping backmarkers and he sneaked through. Finished in 2nd by 0.4s...

I was pretty bummed I couldn't hold on but was extremely happy with the gains I made. I also managed to post the fastest lap of the day in that last final. Very happy with that considering it's my 3rd time at a new track and I was still 0.5s a lap slower at the last club meet.

Anyway enough yapping - setup attached. I am still chasing a little bit more mid-corner and exit steering so I might try taking off the steering brace next time. Any other suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
416-VC-TFTR-20090809.pdf (378.7 KB, 253 views)
Old 08-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Sounds like a fun day Vinny, what is the track like?

The MM32s give a tonne of steering so that'd be a good first bet. You can also try a longer rear wheelbase and higher RCs the whole way around (if the grip is better than SMA). As a last resort you could run XA/C and a 1mm spacer in the rear wheels to give back a bit more steering

Last edited by CraigM; 08-09-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Craig, TFTR is a nice track. The track itself is around 60m x 30m and traction is usually very good. We get about 60 entries of electrics per club meet. All classes are 6 minutes except mod so you get good track time with 2 heats and 3 finals. Mod is awesome to watch as most of the fast Vic guys race there regularly. If you plan to visit Melb, make sure it is on a 2nd or 4th Sunday and bring your car with you!

Thanks for the tips. I thought about giving the MM32s a shot but they are a bit pricey. And since there won't be much more racing (pun intended ) in the cold, I might hold off. Besides, I am pretty stoked with how well the RP30s are working for me so I'll hold onto my pennies for now.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM
Sounds like a fun day Vinny, what is the track like?

The MM32s give a tonne of steering so that'd be a good first bet. You can also try a longer rear wheelbase and higher RCs the whole way around (if the grip is better than SMA). As a last resort you could run XA/C and a 1mm spacer in the rear wheels to give back a bit more steering

These MM32, are they any good for asphalt where the predominant tires are sorex/RP36? Looking for a cheaper alternative, but like they say, you get what you pay for. They have this QTS series which is only available in 28 and 32. Would you know what the difference is with the standard ones? Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by redbones
These MM32, are they any good for asphalt where the predominant tires are sorex/RP36? Looking for a cheaper alternative, but like they say, you get what you pay for. They have this QTS series which is only available in 28 and 32. Would you know what the difference is with the standard ones? Thanks
I think Craig is talking about the Muchmore Absolutes. Apparently the 32s are really good on cold days - better than Sorex 32s or 36s. In terms of price, Tower lists them for $33 for a set of 4 pre-mounts.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

Absolute 32s wear similar to sorex 36 so you can use them when it's warm. I think they may have stopped making them if you believe what you read on here
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info. Seems I should stick with the sorex 36 premounts...
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At the recent VIC titles the MM32's wore pretty badly after 3 heats or so on a grippy surface. At TFTR I would tear up a set in 3 heats in 17.5 stock. They do however come back after a while and i've found them to be good for a months racing, too bad the tyres outlast the MM rims though. Vinny when are you gonna pay us a vist down at BRCCC?

Steve
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Steve, I have to be honest... I can't bear to come out to race at night because it is way cold down here in winter. Maybe when it starts to warm up a bit next month.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Seems to me everyone has gone with a control tire.
Jaco Blue ....
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by veecee
Steve, I have to be honest... I can't bear to come out to race at night because it is way cold down here in winter. Maybe when it starts to warm up a bit next month.

Ha ha ha, fair enough it is bloody cold. Will have to get down to TFTR soon and have a race.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

woo hoo

page 416

sorry i'll get my coat !!!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
woo hoo

page 416

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

hey Ed

have you got a good set up for a 416WE indoors on carpet / rubber tyres ??

either using 13.5 lipo or 23 turn brushed

havnt decided on class yet
Old 08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
woo hoo

page 416

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who noticed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.