Wiki Posts
Search

San Marcos Hobbytown Track

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default San Marcos Hobbytown Track

Originally Posted by spam77
Should be a fun day of racing tomorrow!!! See you there!

-AJ
AJ, your help was invaluable today, thank you! Bob
Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm happy to say that all of our equipment worked perfectly today. That said,
I need to add that today was my test for using the equipment, in particular, the timing program. If you were there you know that it took some time to get everything down to the point that things were running something close to the way they should. I feel confident that there will still be a glitch here and there, but, I think we are over the hump. I'm looking forward to having much more fun on the 6th of december.
I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your patience today. That, combined with some much needed moral support was what got me through the day without pulling out the little hair I have left.
Most of you are aware the A.J. joined Tex and I today putting the track together. While I knew A.J. was going to be a big help, I did not know he was a computer wizard A#1. Without his guidance I think I'd still be sitting there!
Tex has a bad knee, but in spite of the pain he was feeling, he was his usual hard working, smiling self.
Once all the races were done and we were packing things up I could not help to see that all the transponders had been returned to us. This is no little thing as each of those little guys costs over $100. I know from experience that it is very easy to forget that their in you car or truck until you get home.
From now on we will be setting up our table further out in the parking lot, toward Montiel rd. I know that many of you were having a very hard time hearing us on the PA system. We need to be careful how loud we turn up the PA system. On one side we have to think about the businesses, on the other we need to think about those living across the street. I'm sure moving our table will take care of the problem.
One thing was apparent to me today, that was we need to be less lenient on accepting late sign ups. Once I get my act together so that your not waiting for me, we need to hold closer to the cutoff time for sign ups.
Once again, thank you everyone, and I'm looking forward to seeing you again on december 6, it's time for a cold one, Bob.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Hey Bob, sorry I had to leave before the Mains the other day but it got too late and I had evening plans to get ready for. You guys are pretty dedicated to running a solid program and I know it will take some work getting started, but I will still be there every race. One thing I would like to propose is a warning given to careless and reckless drivers. I know you want to open the track for competitive, sport, and new racers. There were a few entries into the Slash class that are utterly careless and reckless (3 Rustler's)!!! I know it is a fun bashing class, but they will hit the wrong car or person one day while driving and may start some problems. I have seen it first hand at another local track. I think warnings should be given if drivers can't even stay on the track for one full lap, or even a half of a lap. Let me know what you think. I am just out there for fun, but I don't want someone slamming into my truck going full speed the wrong way on the straight away and laughing about it. It happened to someone else this weekend and he didn't think it was too funny.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mlight13
Hey Bob, sorry I had to leave before the Mains the other day but it got too late and I had evening plans to get ready for. You guys are pretty dedicated to running a solid program and I know it will take some work getting started, but I will still be there every race. One thing I would like to propose is a warning given to careless and reckless drivers. I know you want to open the track for competitive, sport, and new racers. There were a few entries into the Slash class that are utterly careless and reckless (3 Rustler's)!!! I know it is a fun bashing class, but they will hit the wrong car or person one day while driving and may start some problems. I have seen it first hand at another local track. I think warnings should be given if drivers can't even stay on the track for one full lap, or even a half of a lap. Let me know what you think. I am just out there for fun, but I don't want someone slamming into my truck going full speed the wrong way on the straight away and laughing about it. It happened to someone else this weekend and he didn't think it was too funny.
Hey Mark, thanks for your suggestion and we agree 100%. While having fun is the reason we are having the racing, there are practical limits to what we define as fun. Certainly driving in a manner that endangers other racers, or spectators is Not what we consider fun. Beond that, driving in a manner that increases the risk of damaging other racers vehicles beyond what is expected in normal racing is out of bounds too! Again, thanks for voicing your opinion, and I assure you we will be following up with more than a mild PA System caution.
As I said earlier, I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate everyones, patience, help, and moral support, last race day. When I took on the responsibility of starting Hobbytown Racing up, my motivation was to have a spot in north county where all the racers, (including me) in the area had a close and convenient place to do what we all love to do, race our rc cars and trucks! After waiting for the track to open for several months I started asking , when? the answers I got were all the same, nobody is stepping forward and volunteering to do it. Until recently I have never been into organized rc racing, so I knew it would be a challenge, to say the least. But, I figured with some research, some hard work and dedication, and some help from some experienced racers, we could get it running again , in short time, and running at a professional level. Last race day made it evident I still have a long ways to go. Part of reason is that there is a lot of work to be done in preparation for race day, and I have not asked for enough help. I think that with the three of us that are working on it now, (maybe more in the future)and the experience that two race days have given me, we are on our way to providing you with what you expect, a well run, efficient and professional RC Race Track in our north county. As I said before, my motivation was having fun, close to home.
In the spirit of having fun, and being fair to all who have participated so far I have decided to let all the racers who have raced at our two events so far, race with no entry fee at our race in december. While I'm not rolling in dough, money is certainly not the reason I'm involved in this.
Again, thanks for your suggestion Mark. I will always have an ear for suggestions for improvement, if you have some, speak up and I will at least listen, which is a lot more than many will do this day and age, Bob.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

Bob, you have a Private Message...
Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Racing is this Sunday 12/6. Come out and support a local San Diego track! Some program changes will be implemented to make the day more fun and more organized. This track is perfect for all cars and trucks...bring 'em out...especially the 18R's! I am ready...let's race!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Once again........ come to San Marcos Hobbytown this Sunday, 12/6.
We are going to devote ourselves to making certain that we have finally got all the bugs worked out of the racing system, and we ourselves have everything dialed in. We will be running some practice sessions, along with some racing. The practice sessions will be while we are testing the equipment and our ability to do our thing. Once we feel OK, we will start racing.
Because of the problems we encountered last month, I think it only fair to let those racers who have raced either of the last two months to run on the 6th. free of charge.
We are going to do a few other things different this time. One is that we will be coming around to you to sign you up to race instead of waiting for you to come to us. I think this will really streamline the sign up process, and keep you from waisting any of your time waiting in line, etc.
I have said from the beginning that we are in this to have fun, and welcome the new racers. I need to add however that having fun has practical limits. We can't be driving in a manner that endangers spectators or racers, period! Further, we can't drive in a manner that increases the chance of damaging other racers vehicles beyond what is expected in normal racing. So, absolutely no driving the wrong way on the track, and don't stop on the track needlessly, especially on the straight stretches.
Everyone has a hard time driving when they are new to our sport. It wasn't long ago that I had a hard time completing one lap without crashing, or driving into the wrong lane, so...... that is part of what is expected when we are learning. If you fall in that category, no problem, just let us know and, and you can still have fun. Our course layout has the beginning racers in mind. We designed it so that in less than 10 minutes we can change the layout to one that is far less technical, just for the racers that are learning. Once done, we can change it back just as quickly. So, once again, let us know and we will do that for you.
Another change is that we will be moving the announcers setup several spaces closer to Montiel Rd. I think this will make it easier for everyone to hear what is being said on the PA system.
Last item, if your not a turn marshal, keep off the track during races. When racing a racer focuses on what they are driving, not on what is fifty or so feet down the track in front of them. The turn marshal is aware of this and acts accordingly. Somebody running across the track for whatever reason is going to get hurt sooner or later.
Hope to see you Sunday!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Bob, you have a private message...
Old 12-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bob , A.J. and gang , I won't be able to make it this sunday i'll be racing offroad at barona..I will try to make the next race..PAT
Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sunday racing was Awesome! Mark, we had a great battle in the 18R Main. Chetan, Randy-John, and Joe made the 17.5 race very exciting.

See you guys next time!

-AJ
Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TWOWHEELDUDE
Bob , A.J. and gang , I won't be able to make it this sunday i'll be racing offroad at barona..I will try to make the next race..PAT
Cool, Pat! See you next time!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spam77
Sunday racing was Awesome! Mark, we had a great battle in the 18R Main. Chetan, Randy-John, and Joe made the 17.5 race very exciting.

See you guys next time!

-AJ
AJ, it was definately a good race. I want one like that again! Just goes to show that good consistent driving wins the race. Our cars were dead even in speed but you drove better. Great job and see you next time!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Sunday was our best day to date! AJ and Joe did a fantastic job, my hats off to you both.
Really disappointed to hear that Pound-it is no longer running, hopefully someone can pull it back together.
I'm looking forward to some great times in San Marcos, with the help of AJ and Joe it's going to happen.
A side benefit is that I'm going to be able to do some racing too.
Thanks to everyone that raced and helped Sunday, Bob.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Racing on Sunday, January 3rd 2010

Racing is on. Kick off 2010 with some On-Road RC Racing at Hobbytown San Marcos.

Sunday... January 3rd, 2010.

Practice starts at 8:30am
Racing starts at 10:00am

Classes are: 18R, Slash, 17.5 Sedan, and 13.5 Sedan.
$10 each class, $5 for additional classes.

--Updates--

* Racing Points Prize Raffle to be announced
* New track layout to minimize parking lot bumps.
* Added a Overhead Transponder Loop.
* 3 heats and a main, if times allows.
* Email Newsletter sign up sheet will be there.
* JKing and AJ have been added to the racing staff.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

AJ,

I have some questions:

1. What is the approximate track size you are building?
2. Is there power available on site?
3. Can we register by phone if we are going to be late?
4. Is the loop AMB compatible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.