Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HIGH DOWN FORCE WINGS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Paradoxmaker
Yeah the back one is the Himoto and the front of course is Jconcepts...
Old 11-12-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Not exactly... Any airfoil (even a flat plate) has an "angle of attack" at which it will "stall" (create turbulent flow over the curved portion) which kills lift (or in this case, since we are dealing with an inverted wing with the camber on the bottom) it kills downforce. For most airfoils, that angle is somewhere between 12 and 15 degrees of angle.
So, you mean that if we put the wing at an angle bigger than 12-15 degrees it starts dragging (robbing the car of speed?) instead of just pushing the rear of the car down??
Old 11-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paradoxmaker
Yeah the back one is the Himoto and the front of course is Jconcepts...
Did you dye those or paint them
Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rltanner
Did you dye those or paint them
It's dye

I used clear 3m packing tape to mask off the stripes and dropped em in the dye...As long as you have good tape, an oil free surface, and no creases in the tape edges the dye doesn't seep under the tape.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Cool how long do you leave the wing in the dye the longer the darker the color gets
Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rltanner
Cool how long do you leave the wing in the dye the longer the darker the color gets
10 to 15 min is usually good.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Cool im going to try that on my new wings for the new season im changen my colors to RED,BLACK,WHITE cool colors i like them
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Hey All

I dont want to take sides but we have tested these wings in a liquid flow bench as well as a wind tunnel in germany it cost us over 3 million dollars to test toy car wings. The test was done by none other than Daild Carlson who is an ex aeronautical engineer for Nasa. I say EX because he quit and then forgot everything he knew. He once owned 50% of Microsoft and is directly related to Elvis Presley !

the results are top secret so dont tell anyone !
Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

What results are we supposed to keep secret? You never posted any.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MassiveMods
Hey All

I dont want to take sides but we have tested these wings in a liquid flow bench as well as a wind tunnel in germany it cost us over 3 million dollars to test toy car wings. The test was done by none other than Daild Carlson who is an ex aeronautical engineer for Nasa. I say EX because he quit and then forgot everything he knew. He once owned 50% of Microsoft and is directly related to Elvis Presley !

the results are top secret so dont tell anyone !
Ohhh ... I see , you mean that wing, right ???

Anyway, here is the latest .... Boeing, Airbus, and Mugen Seiki are developing new rear wing to increase downward airflow while reducing thermal wind flow signature. Hopefully the new design will increase top speed & downforce at the same time. It is known the Delta Phi Sigma of the angle of attack of the wing will transalate into fuel ecnomy as well. Such hybrid design will be nominated for 2008 noble prize in aeronautical technology.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

You forgot to mention that they are also good for the environment. I've been told they reduce green house gases by 10% when run on Mugens and 50% on the Airbus A380.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS
So, you mean that if we put the wing at an angle bigger than 12-15 degrees it starts dragging (robbing the car of speed?) instead of just pushing the rear of the car down??
Yes, that is EXACTLY what I mean. Angle of attack = angle to the relative wind (direction of travel.) Anything over about 12-15 degrees AOA and the wing stalls. A stall is where the airflow does not stay attached to the cambered wing surface, instead becomes turbulent and creates drag without lift.

The Himoto and Proline wings APPEAR to be designed correctly. The Jconcepts one is not. The slotted portion of the wing re-energizes the airflow, allowing it to remain attached on the rear portion which is at a much greater angle- the first part of the wing turns the airflow somewhat, so the AOA limit there is different. Sounds silly, but it is really how it works.

The Jconcepts wing is depending solely on reaction against the upper surface, like a regular parachute. The others SHOULD actually be generating lift (in reverse, so it is downforce) off the lower surface as well, although the way they are molded at the front leaves a bit to be desired... I'm not sure if the ridge along the front causes it to trip the boundary layer to help the airflow stay attached, or causes TOO MUCH turbulence and kills the lift. I'd have to see it in a wind tunnel to know for sure, but I suspect it may be the bad effect and not the good one. None of the manufacturers is putting much real thought into the aerodynamics of those wings!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Adept

Food for thought!! Hmmmm!!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

when I was running K2 with stock kyosho wing (2 days a week almost every week) 3 yrs ago, I can feel a difference bwtn different wing mounting angles when jumping a long triple. With a higher wing angle, the front end stays up more than a flatter wing angle while in the air. The buggy feels more neutral and easier to drive with flatter wing angle.

so what kind of effect will a high down force wing do while the buggy is in the air? and on the ground? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS
Food for thought!! Hmmmm!!
I thought you like banana better ? j/k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.