Wiki Posts
Search

HPI's new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmig
That's interesting---I'll let you all know after tomorrow night---I'm running in high bite asphalt--the kit tires were SOO bad I was afraid to put S on the front. Could have been a mistake---but I'll see!!
FWIW
Tim
OKAY--- well it was VERY interesting to say the least!! The soft rears STUCK the car to the track---and once I found some sauce for the tires--it was VERY close to what I think I want with S rears and M fronts. I haven't got any S fronts yet--but I was able to get very controlled steering with the s/m combo!! But as far as the kit tires---they are LIGHT years better!!! I believe with too much sauce and all S tires--the car could snap roll at Westcoast!! I think I'm going to experiment with some caster changes-- maybe a roll bar in the rear-- and the S and M tires are the BOMB!! I think it will make an excellent tuning combination depending on high bite to medium bite conditions.

What I DON'T like about the car is the steering linkage---I've got to find a way to take some slop out of this belcrank setup HPI uses!!! That more than anything seems to lend to some steering "wander' that is hard to get out of.
And I need some caster for a little more high speed steering--then--we'll see how it performs at the next F-1 race.

FYI
Tim
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I put a small shim/washer under the steering post and that eliminated some of the up/down slop. I also super glued the stock servo saver together and that helped a bit. However, I would have to agree that the car likes to wander a bit on the striaght. I'll try adjusting toe-in/toe out to see if that helps.

Thanks for the post on the "M" tires. Out of the package they seemed pretty hard. I'll mount them up and apply some traction compound and see how they do.

I didn't think about looking for 1/12 scale dampener grease/lube. There are some drivers racing 1/12 scale and WGT locally. I'll see if I can borrow some of their dampener lube. Personally I lightly sanded the stock HPI F10 friction discs and I felt that they were a bit smoother.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

OKAY--- well it was VERY interesting to say the least!! The soft rears STUCK the car to the track---and once I found some sauce for the tires--it was VERY close to what I think I want with S rears and M fronts. I haven't got any S fronts yet--but I was able to get very controlled steering with the s/m combo!! But as far as the kit tires---they are LIGHT years better!!! I believe with too much sauce and all S tires--the car could snap roll at Westcoast!! I think I'm going to experiment with some caster changes-- maybe a roll bar in the rear-- and the S and M tires are the BOMB!! I think it will make an excellent tuning combination depending on high bite to medium bite conditions.

What I DON'T like about the car is the steering linkage---I've got to find a way to take some slop out of this belcrank setup HPI uses!!! That more than anything seems to lend to some steering "wander' that is hard to get out of.
And I need some caster for a little more high speed steering--then--we'll see how it performs at the next F-1 race.

FYI
Tim
I'm hoping to get to Westcoast this sunday for some laps. I'm using S front and rears and am experiencing high speed push even with the front upper inner arms lowered 2mm for more camber. Maybe Westcoasts track will solve my push
For the slop I put orings over the ball ends on the servo link and foam spacers over the balls for the 2 steering links. Much less slop. Much testing to do also.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
I'm hoping to get to Westcoast this sunday for some laps. I'm using S front and rears and am experiencing high speed push even with the front upper inner arms lowered 2mm for more camber. Maybe Westcoasts track will solve my push
For the slop I put orings over the ball ends on the servo link and foam spacers over the balls for the 2 steering links. Much less slop. Much testing to do also.
I am curious to hear your experience with the S fronts @ Westcoast. I ran mine there with S's front and rear. Still had the push.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Micro-E
I am curious to hear your experience with the S fronts @ Westcoast. I ran mine there with S's front and rear. Still had the push.
I'll report back next week on results. I can tell you now though I think the push problem is the front tire itself. It seems to be a different compound and firmer carcass then the rear even though it is clearly marked S. If I have to I will get an extra set of rears and cut and re-glue narrow for the front For now I will see if I can pry open the front tire bead so that I can remove the insert and re-test it sans insert.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'll report back next week on results. I can tell you now though I think the push problem is the front tire itself. It seems to be a different compound and firmer carcass then the rear even though it is clearly marked S. If I have to I will get an extra set of rears and cut and re-glue narrow for the front For now I will see if I can pry open the front tire bead so that I can remove the insert and re-test it sans insert.
MikeR, I like the way you think... way outside the box!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Micro-E
MikeR, I like the way you think... way outside the box!!!
Haha No risk no reward!

Last edited by MikeR; 03-04-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

FYI -- The tire sauce that WC sells works very well on the rubber tires!! That's what made my tires work much better-- I don't have any S fronts--but the M fronts feel VERY close to the S rears?? If you're still experiencing push-- try lighter springs in the front-- I don't think I could use an S front--it would give me TOO much steering!!
FWIW
Tim
Old 03-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

FYI -- The tire sauce that WC sells works very well on the rubber tires!! That's what made my tires work much better-- I don't have any S fronts--but the M fronts feel VERY close to the S rears?? If you're still experiencing push-- try lighter springs in the front-- I don't think I could use an S front--it would give me TOO much steering!!
FWIW
Tim
Jack the Gripper- yes agreed, worked great with a 4wd running at westcoast. Cant wait to try an F1 there.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Tech Champion

Well, I had an interesting day running the F10 at Wescoast Raceways high grip tarmac. The car was brilliant on the infield sections- push was under control, rear end was planted and carried a lot of speed with S tires front and back. Had a real problem though getting to the end of the long straight without losing the back end. Running a 21.5 w/ LRP SPX that felt ballistic. Just couldn't run full bore lap after lap on the straight. I tightened down the rear shock collar a touch thinking maybe the car was bottoming out but it seemed to not help. I noticed the front end of the car is porpoising badly down the straight and think this is causing the car to kick itself at top speed- kind of like a skate boarder doing an ollie. I'm afraid putting a firmer front spring will result in push but I may have to do it or maybe figure out a damping system for the front end. More testing to follow!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

anyone know when the hpi start to sell the 2009 body's? I really like to buy the renault ou another that can i make my own paint.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

anyone know when the hpi start to sell the 2009 body's? I really like to buy the renault ou another that can i make my own paint.

sorry... dublicate post.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well, I had an interesting day running the F10 at Wescoast Raceways high grip tarmac. The car was brilliant on the infield sections- push was under control, rear end was planted and carried a lot of speed with S tires front and back. Had a real problem though getting to the end of the long straight without losing the back end. Running a 21.5 w/ LRP SPX that felt ballistic. Just couldn't run full bore lap after lap on the straight. I tightened down the rear shock collar a touch thinking maybe the car was bottoming out but it seemed to not help. I noticed the front end of the car is porpoising badly down the straight and think this is causing the car to kick itself at top speed- kind of like a skate boarder doing an ollie. I'm afraid putting a firmer front spring will result in push but I may have to do it or maybe figure out a damping system for the front end. More testing to follow!
Mike, when you need more off-power rear traction, you should go stiffer oil on the shock. Also you can angle the t-bar by adding o-ring between t-bar and screw holder.

Also on highbite track like westcoast, i suggest you to put thicker oil on the friction plate. (I used #4000 diff oil for westcoast setup) It was like perfect with "M" compound tires all around at that time.

Hope it helps a bit.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow
Mike, when you need more off-power rear traction, you should go stiffer oil on the shock. Also you can angle the t-bar by adding o-ring between t-bar and screw holder.

Also on highbite track like westcoast, i suggest you to put thicker oil on the friction plate. (I used #4000 diff oil for westcoast setup) It was like perfect with "M" compound tires all around at that time.

Hope it helps a bit.
Thanks Hiro- I will try that hopefully this weekend at WC!

I have CRC thick silicone for the pucks but only 25wt in the shock so I will go thicker on the shock. Add o ring at the front or back of the t-bar? Back yes?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

I've been getting pretty good handling with S rear tires and M fronts. Although-- I was getting some of that inconsistant handling you're experiencing at high speeds. The steering linkage is near IMPOSSIBLE to get all the slop out of. I'm thinking of modifying my chassis top plate so I can mount the steering servo up front--use a Kimbro saver and direct link to the steering arms.--
I was able to run low 16 second runs with my F103 foam tire car--and low 17 second runs with the HPI rubber tire car on the same track last night at WC.
I'm thinking the car needs a rear sway bar---I'll be tinkering to see if that addition would work also>

FYI
Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.