Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looking at the Vegas results... quite a small F1 turnout!

Any thoughts?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I know the smell of rubber, and the rear tires are for sure rubber. Not vinyl. I can check the front tonight when I get home. Rubber, with compound, ought to be mighty sticky!
I wouldn't fight it--just take the advice of the folks here who have been racing F1 for quite some time now and have done extensive tire testing--there is a reason people run the Shimizu tires as opposed to any Tamiya tire.

The worst Shimizu tire is still at least, by my testing, half a second a lap faster than the kit standard Tamiya F104/W tires.

Don't get me wrong, you CAN get the car setup properly so that you can be consistent with it lap after lap--I tried and succeeded earlier this season--but you have to be very clean, tidy, and mistake-free in your driving (we all try to achieve this anyway, right?). However, once you go to Shimizu rubber, you can really throw the car around on the track and the breakaway is smooth and predictable. Going back to Tamiya tires is like driving on ice in comparison.

Note one exception: For the F103 or 104W sized wheels, you can still find Tamiya "Type A" slicks on Ebay and such. I had a ten year old set mounted sitting in a box and used them w/o compound on one of our local races on an F103, and was pretty much on the pace as the rest of the Shimizu shod crew.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nrtv20
Looking at the Vegas results... quite a small F1 turnout!

Any thoughts?
I was thinking the same. From what I saw on the online signup, the entry free for F1 was $175.00, while almost every other class was $80.00 to run. I know that they used control tires, but I don't think it would raise the cost that much. Maybe I'm wrong. Would have loved to have seen more F1's as it's a growing class once again, but I was also to see that there weren't less than what showed. I would like to attempt to make one of these races sometime and run the class.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Howler
I was thinking the same. From what I saw on the online signup, the entry free for F1 was $175.00, while almost every other class was $80.00 to run. I know that they used control tires, but I don't think it would raise the cost that much. Maybe I'm wrong. Would have loved to have seen more F1's as it's a growing class once again, but I was also to see that there weren't less than what showed. I would like to attempt to make one of these races sometime and run the class.
I have thought about going to IIC the last two years to run F1 and probably touring car. Vegas is less then a 8 hour drive for me which is no big deal. The single deciding factor for me not going was the price of the entry fees.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I have thought about going to IIC the last two years to run F1 and probably touring car. Vegas is less then a 8 hour drive for me which is no big deal. The single deciding factor for me not going was the price of the entry fees.
Your first class was $175 second was $100 unless you ran 17.5 or 13.5 12th scale then it was $80.

When you add up all that you get with that the price isn't bad at all. You get the use of a huge ballroom, pit tables, chairs, power, security (you don't have to schlep your stuff up tp your room every night) brand new carpet to run on, buffet dinner, sponsers meet and greet (tacos and beer), a very smoothly run program and racing with some of the best out there.

A small price to pay when many dont blink an eye at dropping 5 to 6 hundred on a car.

Scotty runs a fantastic race, can't wait till he comes to Hawaii
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

That all makes sense when it's laid out like that. I wasn't too sure if the sponsors covered it fully, or if it was totally out of the pocket of the racers. Really not my business, lol. I do know that you all got a top quality guy in Scotty. We're lucky to have him in our back yard here in WI. Guess I'll start saving, and with any luck, I may be able to make it sometime.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob
Your first class was $175 second was $100 unless you ran 17.5 or 13.5 12th scale then it was $80.

When you add up all that you get with that the price isn't bad at all. You get the use of a huge ballroom, pit tables, chairs, power, security (you don't have to schlep your stuff up tp your room every night) brand new carpet to run on, buffet dinner, sponsers meet and greet (tacos and beer), a very smoothly run program and racing with some of the best out there.

A small price to pay when many dont blink an eye at dropping 5 to 6 hundred on a car.

Scotty runs a fantastic race, can't wait till he comes to Hawaii
I have raced mountain bikes internationally since 1996. I am well aware of how to look at the cost of an entry fee and what you get. To me IIC was still to expensive.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Cost is a factor, and I'm fairly certain it is the reason entries do not exceed 400+ every year

Scotty runs the best program
IIC is a premium On Road event
This is a unique race with the Worlds best racing along with locals from every region in the world of RC

If you are up for the challenge, it is truly something to experience at least once in a lifetime

As far as F1 entries for 2012 ?
This is my opinion on the matter...

-The rules were late
-Too exclusive in chassis type allowed
-The spec tire selected was not necessary, competition in F1 on rubber has not shown a chassis/tire combination that is unobtainable
-F1 entry cost would be less without a spec tire
-More F1 racers would have been interested, if they could run what they have, and are used to racing
-Growth in the class will continue without too much restraint

IIC F1 was not an option I had even considered for 2012
After competing at the inaugural F1 race in 2011 I realized F1 on rubber is not all that different at our club track, so the extra expense of running F1 rubber at IIC isn't enticing enough for me, I prefer to run foam tires on the perfect new carpet provided at IIC

For those racers that do prefer rubber tire racing in F1 or Sedan, this race is very special indeed

Classes I entered this year at IIC
12th SS, 12th Mod, WGT
There is no tire rule for 12th scale
WGT has a spec tire that has more than enough grip, and has been the spec tire for years

Jaco Rubber tires for the Sedan class have also been a spec tire for some time, and works very well from Spec Sedan to Mod Sedan
Old 10-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CR0SS
I have raced mountain bikes internationally since 1996. I am well aware of how to look at the cost of an entry fee and what you get. To me IIC was still to expensive.
Most if not all of the big international races are going to run you pretty close in entry cost of the IIC. Running an indoor on-road carpet race in a hotel ballroom is a very expensive endeavor.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Cost is a factor, and I'm fairly certain it is the reason entries do not exceed 400+ every year
True...I believe last year it went over 400 and racing went to very late hours every day. Cost can help control the number of entries to a more manageable amount. Scotty said he felt that 350 entries is pretty much optimum. I wouldn't mind the prices be lower But I still plan to go.

Scotty runs the best program
IIC is a premium On Road event
This is a unique race with the Worlds best racing along with locals from every region in the world of RC

If you are up for the challenge, it is truly something to experience at least once in a lifetime
Absolutely!

IIC F1 was not an option I had even considered for 2012
After competing at the inaugural F1 race in 2011 I realized F1 on rubber is not all that different at our club track, so the extra expense of running F1 rubber at IIC isn't enticing enough for me, I prefer to run foam tires on the perfect new carpet provided at IIC
I like the realistic appearance of the rubber tires and the fact that they stay that way even when they wear. But after running rubber tire F1 at our home track for a couple seasons now...I'm really not liking the performance and am very tempted to change the class to a foam tire class. The best racing I remember in all my years in F1 was on foam tires. Given how well the lilac compound seems to work for WGT...I wonder if a tire like that might work well for F1. Maybe on a taller rim with a sidewall sticker so the tire looks scale but is actually a smaller sidewall.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm curious to know what people who ran F1 in the IIC thought about the Pardus handout tires in comparison to the Shumizu tires that I'm seeing most drivers use at their local tracks.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Howler
I'm curious to know what people who ran F1 in the IIC thought about the Pardus handout tires in comparison to the Shumizu tires that I'm seeing most drivers use at their local tracks.
They run the full gamut, and I am not in the majority.
Alot of people were quick to blame the tires for the outcome of the race, and for their cars not working the way they thought they should. They are not the absolute best tire for carpet, mainly because they weren't designed for carpet. Given the limited test and practice time we all had with them at the race, I don't think they were that bad. If you are running all of the different chassis brands and want a tire that has rims to fit on all makes, it is a good choice. If you want the ultimate F1 tire, they are not going to be that. I am getting to tires that were left over from Vegas. As soon as they get to me I will be putting them up for sale in the store.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Definitely want to try some out for asphalt. They didn't look too bad on the rug...a tad on the loose side if anything. I think I saw a couple of traction rolls so maybe gluing the sidewalls might have helped some of the people there.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Are the pardus tires premounted?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Wow that's awesome!
Thanks. After I shipped the F103 out to you, I was digging in the "archives" for a bunch of 1/8 Tamiya stuff I posted over the weekend on fee-bay and found an F103 body set I picked up from D-Drive awhile back and painted and detailed in the old Leyton House March livery. I ran the body once and then went to the body I painted up that was shipped to you with the chassis. Will take some pics and post up later.

Panda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.