Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2897Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NiMo
One of the guys who was a lot behind getting F1 running again here in the UK, and was also a reporter for an RC Car magazine, always ran everything he raced (cars and bikes) in Coca Cola (red/white) colours.
Would he have been turned away from racing in Texas?
I doubt he would be turned away.

Originally Posted by MantisWorx

i think thats a good rule "preferably"
People have ignored the preferably part.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

"This is a scale STOCK class and will be treated as such, Your car must follow the livery (scheme) of a real 1:1 Formula team Preferably one that matches your chassis. F104/FGX=2009 and up, F103/f109 2008 and down"

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
That is a very important word and makes a huge difference. Thanks for pointing that out Marcus.
Makes a huge difference in what? Only thing that says is they PREFER you to run a period correct paint scheme. If you want it to say you PREFER people run an actual F1 paint scheme then the rule is VERY poorly worded. But to be honest the whole thing is poorly written.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

"This is a scale STOCK class and will be treated as such, Your car must follow the livery (scheme) of a real 1:1 Formula team Preferably one that matches your chassis. F104/FGX=2009 and up, F103/f109 2008 and down"

Originally Posted by texastc
I doubt he would be turned away.

People have ignored the preferably part.
Theoretical F1 livery's are always a cool option.
It's the one color, Rc sponsor decals, Flames, Tribal, stuff that is kind of a turnoff, and do little to bring in new racers.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Well at least there are 2 that are 1 color that are pretty easy to do...Lotus and Ferrari

I don't have as much of a problem with the 1 color schemes as the flames and tribals. There are a lot of people out there who just don't have the time or talent to paint up a scale F1 body. Like mine for instance...usually I like to do a really nice scale or fantasy team body but when mounting it I had a hard time getting it to fit nicely over my F1R and hacked up the body way more than I wanted to...so I just left it black and didn't waste my nice Lotus decals on it until I can get the time and a new body to make up a nice one. Unfortunately finding the regular weight Ferrari body hasn't been all that easy and I'm really not liking the light weight one.

Personally I think there should be room for fantasy F1 teams that are done within the spirit of F1. I can think of 2 that I've done in the past that looked awesome and could easily be something you would see in a F1 race. I did a really nice yellow, white, and black Renault scheme that looked good...and my favorite was the red and what Canon scheme based on the Canon 956/962. Heck I might just do that one again
Old 02-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
I'm really not liking the light weight one.
What do you not like about the lightweight bodies?

I actually prefer them. I find they are much easier to cut out than the regular weight bodies. And with the front and read wing taking the brunt of the impacts the body rarely sees any damage. Those are my experience anyways.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Champion

Oh I almost forgot! My f1 fantasy team for SIM racing

And the older one:

Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Odin544
What do you not like about the lightweight bodies?

I actually prefer them. I find they are much easier to cut out than the regular weight bodies. And with the front and read wing taking the brunt of the impacts the body rarely sees any damage. Those are my experience anyways.
I don't like lightweight bodies in general...I tend to go through them faster than normal weight ones. And I don't like the feel when I put it on the car...just feels like it is going to rip.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

We've skirted around these questions. We should seriously try to adopt a set standard to keep this class alive, like VTA.

So, from a purely racing standpoint, which would be a better direction to go for the F1 class/classes?

1. 1 class, narrow cars, modern bodies and current scale tires

2. 1 class, max width 200mm cars, any body and current scale tires

3. 1 class, correct scale width, the correct body and correct scale tires for the chassis.

4. 2 classes, Narrow and Wide.

Things to keep in mind: In every country but the US Foam tires are the norm. On many carpet tracks in the US, foam is the norm. The rising use of rubber tires is on the rise world wide. Rubber tires do offer a better scale appearance. Foam tires offer more grip.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

My vote would be for option 4. Narrow class being more stock and the wider class being open. I thought the UF1 rules from last summer were perfect. Thats why we adopted them locally. We just dont have the # of drivers to support 2 classes yet. So we only run the 180mm and under class. But our winter onroad has always been a pretty small group as a lot of the local racers travel and run indoor offroad instead of the local onroad.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

2 classes are how it is done in the UK.
Narrow on Rubber only, and wide on Foam or Rubber.
Wide also runs 17.5 boosted, while I think narrow runs 21.5 boosted ?
My Tyrrell P34 comes under wide, just a shame I cant get the larger historic sized foams for the rear.
(thinking of running GT Donuts on trued down F1 foams/wheels?)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Oh I almost forgot! My f1 fantasy team for SIM racing

And the older one:

I would say these two are eligible as they could be F1 colours.

Anyone remember the '70's when some bought others F1 cars to race in F1 and ran their own colours?
Denny Hulme in a Yardley McLaren M23.
Tony Trimmer in a Aurora McLaren M23 (Yellow/Blue. Was used in F-5000 in UK).
And how many colour schemes on a March 761 ?
And in F1 McLaren ran the Marlboro Light colours (Yellow/White).
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

We've skirted around these questions. We should seriously try to adopt a set standard to keep this class alive, like VTA.

So, from a purely racing standpoint, which would be a better direction to go for the F1 class/classes?

3. 1 class, correct scale width, the correct body and correct scale tires for the chassis.

Things to keep in mind: In every country but the US Foam tires are the norm. On many carpet tracks in the US, foam is the norm. The rising use of rubber tires is on the rise world wide. Rubber tires do offer a better scale appearance. Foam tires offer more grip.

I'm afraid there isn't one answer. #1 is too restrictive. #4 requires enough racers to make the classes. #2 and #3 are what's being debated with the biggest difference in your listing being the scale aspect.

The #1 goal should be to grow the class. I understand the want for a standard rule set like vta but vta has a dedicated following. Outside of socal and Florida there are only a few hot spots that have a f1 class of any size. Make f1 a national class like vta then standardize rules for bigger races. Let the club level run what works for each track.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If you're trying to get all cars into one class then #2 is as close as you are gonna get.
200mm with CURRENT scale tires is attainable with all of the popular F1 kits.
The F103 type wide front ends combined with any of the rear end widening tricks would get these cars in compliance while the front axle widening tricks can get the F104 type narrow front ends in compliance.
It's been noted that some modern F1s are already running near 195mm at some of our non UF1 races with CURRENT scale tires.
What's another 2.5mm per side?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NiMo
2 classes are how it is done in the UK.
Narrow on Rubber only, and wide on Foam or Rubber.
Wide also runs 17.5 boosted, while I think narrow runs 21.5 boosted ?
2012 BRCA rules run with a choice of 21.5T brushless non blinky or Mardave G2 silver can brushed motor in both classes.

The UK has two classes:
Modern class, which is rubber only and 190mm max width.
Retro class, which is foam only and 210mm max width.
Both widths were increased by 10mm this year, the narrow increased to bring it in line with the UF1 width rule and the wide increased to match, the extra width isn't there for everyone to fit spacers on their car, it is to allow for the chance that your choice of wheels could push the car over 200mm as even some Tamiya F103 kits are 205mm wide.
The 190mm narrow class doesn't allow the FGX as the rules stipulate a solid rear axle.

Full UK BRCA F1 rules can be found here
http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...iles/12csec/F1 rules 2012 V2.2.pdf
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
What's another 2.5mm per side?
Seriously? What's another 5mm on each side. Heck why not 10mm. Where does it stop? Oh wait it doesn't. This is why there are no standard rules and probably never will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.