Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Iceracer
Their 3200's but they are really 40% more than tat. Makes me think of "This is Spinal Tap", and our amps go to 11.

Why don't they just call it a 4480 if its 40% more capacity than a 3200?
If we called it a 4480Mah we would be lying.

Capacity is a measurement done before pack assembly. LiPo's lose far less to resistance after assembly and cycling.

Plus the batteries are capacity rated for a different application then we use.

It's like a hamburger, a quarter pounder is only such before cooking.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, now this sounds like the best thing since flush toilets and electricity, and I'm sure even those had their critics.

Originally Posted by MrBlack
I run mine every Sat. and I cahrge them usually on Wednesday and then run on Sat. It takes more then a week before you see any noticable discharge and even then it is so minor that it's more like 2-3 weeks before you caould even tell out on the track.

We have batteries that have have a sat on a shelf for a year and have only lost 10-15% of their charge.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

I run mine every Sat. and I cahrge them usually on Wednesday and then run on Sat. It takes more then a week before you see any noticable discharge and even then it is so minor that it's more like 2-3 weeks before you caould even tell out on the track.
Okay thanks! Just to be clear, if it has been 1-2 weeks I can repeak them and it won't hurt the battery at all, just might not be much benefit?
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by speedythecat
Okay thanks! Just to be clear, if it has been 1-2 weeks I can repeak them and it won't hurt the battery at all, just might not be much benefit?
Go ahead , repeak ...
When you do, the charger will know the pack has a charge and you will only see the charger recharging the pack at less than .5 amps for just a short time ....
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Being that I am new to the Lipo deal but have been using Nimh batteries for a while, all of this info is vey helpful. I will be purchasing some Lipos in the very near future since we allow them in our racing series. (see sig) I do have one question though. After reading all of the info someone posted about the diff between "top tier" and China products, I was wondering why the price diff between the Peakand Orion batteries. They look to be the same and i even noticed that Mr Black has both companies listed in his sig. My understanding is that these companies are the same, so to speak.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh Okay, even with my Multiplex LN-5014?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Tech Legend

Oh Okay, even with my Multiplex LN-5014?
Not familiar with that charger ...sorry...
if its a charger design for Li-Po, that is what you would see occur...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE]
thanks mr black
i thought as much but it's nice to have it confirmed
Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rainey
Being that I am new to the Lipo deal but have been using Nimh batteries for a while, all of this info is vey helpful. I will be purchasing some Lipos in the very near future since we allow them in our racing series. (see sig) I do have one question though. After reading all of the info someone posted about the diff between "top tier" and China products, I was wondering why the price diff between the Peakand Orion batteries. They look to be the same and i even noticed that Mr Black has both companies listed in his sig. My understanding is that these companies are the same, so to speak.
The only difference is the sticker. Peak seems to rebrand Orion stuff with their sticker. In this case, the price on the Peak batteries is lower, but it's identical in every way but the sticker, which is red instead of blue and says Peak instead of Orion.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking Orion Avionics Chargers

I have been using the ICE charger, and its been great for my LIPOS's. However, I need something that can charge 2 lipos at the same time. I have searched and found the MRC Super Brain 977 charger, which charges LIPOS and can charge 2 lipos at the same time. It sells for $95 at towerhobbies. However, I have seen in this forum some mention of some guys using the Orion Avionics Advantage charger, which is only $29. I could buy 2 of these and for $60 basically be able to charge 2 lipos at the same time also...the problem is that according the pictures on towerhobbies, it doesnt have wires and tamiya plugs or banana plugs at the ends to be able to charge the Orion packs...how are you guys doing this?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

I've been using Lipos for about three years. I found one I had forgot about at the bottom of a box of RC parts. Not sure when or how much I charged it but it has been at least two years. It still had 80% of its charge. It helps that it set in a cold basement. Heat is the major killer of Lipos...the hotter they are, when you cycle them, or when they are sitting around, the faster they will age (permanently lose capacity.)

You can peak them at any time, but it really isn't necessary. Just don't leave them in your hot car. If you really want to increase their life (though it is head and shoulders better than NiMh now) you can leave them in the refrigerator. Just be sure to get them back out, with enough time to fully warm up, before you use them. The cold temperature really knocks down their performance.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
I have been using the ICE charger, and its been great for my LIPOS's. However, I need something that can charge 2 lipos at the same time. I have searched and found the MRC Super Brain 977 charger, which charges LIPOS and can charge 2 lipos at the same time. It sells for $95 at towerhobbies. However, I have seen in this forum some mention of some guys using the Orion Avionics Advantage charger, which is only $29. I could buy 2 of these and for $60 basically be able to charge 2 lipos at the same time also...the problem is that according the pictures on towerhobbies, it doesnt have wires and tamiya plugs or banana plugs at the ends to be able to charge the Orion packs...how are you guys doing this?
Be careful the Brain. There was one version...not sure if it is the 977 that doesn't use voltage feedback...only capacity. If you set the wrong capacity, or if the battery is only partly drained (repeak situation) you will fry the battery and there will be fire. It is very dangerous to use on Lipos...even though it says it has that capability. I prefer a Lipo only charger. They are really inexpensive and I know there is no way I will make a mistake with the settings (accidently charge Lipo on the NiMh setting.)
Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just purchased 3 of the 3200 packs. Question...... I am going to fully charge them today, but it could be 3 days, or it could be 3 weeks before I get to use them. At what point (how many days gone by) before I would want to repeak them before I run? In other words, 3 days don't bother, 2 weeks, might want to repeak, etc... ?????

thanks,
eric

i charge mine almost 5 days before and use it on the weekend with minimal repeak. We're talking 50mah self discharge only. I dont know why this thing doesn't self discharge much .
Anyone know what is the shelf life of lipo batts if not used for a long time? Do they degrade in performance after months in storage?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
At least 2 of my packs came with an insert that specifically said do NOT use the MRC 977 charger. Don't known the reason, perhaps Mr Black has an idea.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by flying G.E.O.
i charge mine almost 5 days before and use it on the weekend with minimal repeak. We're talking 50mah self discharge only. I dont know why this thing doesn't self discharge much .
Anyone know what is the shelf life of lipo batts if not used for a long time? Do they degrade in performance after months in storage?
Yes, they degrade proportional to the temperature over time. You can greatly reduce the degradation by keeping them cooler. The degradation is not linear...it goes up considerably as the temperature increases over room temperature. As I mentioned in my earlier post, do not leave them in a hot car. A cool basement is a better place and if they sit for long periods the refrigerator is not a bad idea.

If you do a web search you can find charts and graph of the life vs. cycles and temperature.

They eventually fail, often from shorts in a cell. This is more likely to happen with heavy charges and discharges, impacts and poor production tolerances.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.