R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/123772-team-orion-3200mah-race-spec-lipo.html)

Nexus Racing 07-31-2006 09:34 PM

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo
 
1 Attachment(s)
Didn't see a thread yet...sorry if I missed it.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=223339

Why is there this discrepancy?:
"even though the pack is rated for 3200mAh, you can expect capacity comparable to a 4300 NiMh pack."

XrayFK 07-31-2006 09:37 PM


Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
Why is there this discrepancy?:
"even though the pack is rated for 3200mAh, you can expect capacity comparable to a 4300 NiMh pack."

That's honestly one of the dumbest things I've heard RCCA say. Maybe they meant to say runtime?

syndr0me 07-31-2006 09:38 PM

Sweet Jesus, this is the best news I've heard in a month. We knew it was coming, but seeing pictures of it confirms that it's almost certainly going to fit in most sedans without modification. Change is well on its way to R/C.

WheelNut 07-31-2006 09:44 PM

yeah, they obviously meant that it will get similar run times to a 4300 pack. I guess because of the lower internal resistance.

danjoy25 07-31-2006 10:20 PM

Will be good if it fits the Mini. :nod:

Rick Hohwart 08-01-2006 08:11 AM


Originally Posted by WheelNut
yeah, they obviously meant that it will get similar run times to a 4300 pack. I guess because of the lower internal resistance.

This is what they meant. I did most of the "race" testing of this pack and the run times are slightly better than that of IB4200SHVs. But you do notice a boost in power.

It was designed so that it still fit in off-road cars with a channel and strap, in touring cars with slotted chassis, and in minis and other cars that accept stick packs that require rounded ends.

It should fit in most cars. Fitment problems occur in cars that have bulkhead pieces that conform to the shape of individual sub-c cells. Modifications will likely have to be made.

The capacity was lowered to more closely duplicate the performance of NiMH, but still retain the qualities that make LiPo better (less maintenance, longer life, etc.). MSRP is $119.99 and they are listed with Tower and Horizon in the $90 range. I think this will go down to under $80 eventually.

andrewdoherty 08-01-2006 08:17 AM

How does the channel benefit off-road applications if the plugs are on the top of the battery? Don't the off road people have to turn the battery over to get the strap to sit down in the channel? :confused:

syndr0me 08-01-2006 08:24 AM

Do a lot of sedans have problems with the car's top deck interfering with the location of the power connectors? I too am interested in how the pack can be flipped around for off-road without connectors on the bottom.

Otherwise, this looks great. I'm excited to see the final product, and to hopefully be rid of NiMH forever.

or8ital 08-01-2006 08:27 AM

:tire:

XrayFK 08-01-2006 08:29 AM

Still won't fit in an Xray?

andrewdoherty 08-01-2006 08:30 AM

On the RDX it works out OK as the holes are inside of the top deck and outside of the battery strap when alligned correctly.

or8ital 08-01-2006 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
On the RDX it works out OK as the holes are inside of the top deck and outside of the battery strap when alligned correctly.

The 4800 has a tendency to want to shift in the rdx unless you put something to hold it tight within the battery slots. Mine shifted last night and I wore a nice groove into the plastic with my belt and messed the belt of my car up.

andrewdoherty 08-01-2006 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by or8ital
I gotta say Im very unimpressed. I dont see any benefits over the 4800 except for the slightly smaller form factor. The indentation on the top looks like it could be problematic for trying to tape it down and the plug locations are ridiculous (they need to be on either side of the long side).

Orion please take the following into consideration when making the next pack:

- Move the plug locations
- Put some kind of ridges on it to help hold it into cars with slots for traditional batteries. A flat battery held down by a flat battery strap on top of a flat surface doesnt hold a battery in the car too well.


It looks like it does have ridges on the bottom to keep it in place. THeres a pic of the bottom around here somewhee . . .lemme see.

or8ital 08-01-2006 08:33 AM


Originally Posted by XrayFK
Still won't fit in an Xray?

Looks like it wont unless that indentation on the top is short enough to clear the bulkhead.

Hebiki 08-01-2006 08:33 AM


Originally Posted by or8ital
I gotta say Im very unimpressed. I dont see any benefits over the 4800 except for the slightly smaller form factor. The indentation on the top looks like it could be problematic for trying to tape it down and the plug locations are ridiculous (they need to be on either side of the long side).

Orion please take the following into consideration when making the next pack:

- Move the plug locations
- Put some kind of ridges on it to help hold it into cars with slots for traditional batteries. A flat battery held down by a flat battery strap on top of a flat surface doesnt hold a battery in the car too well.

orbital:

i saw Rick's test pack at the Tamiya track a few weeks back, the bottom of the pack has "little" feet that lets it sit securely in the car that has traditional battery slots. i test fitted it in my TA05..and it did not slide back and forth. :nod: :D


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:44 PM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.6
Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net