Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Engine Wars Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thomas, you have some dodgy mods on your site man , id be embarrased to show such poor workmanship!!!!
Everyone starts somewhere even the motorman. Hang tough bro as long as your havin fun thats all that matters. I'm proud of ya!
Old 10-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Tech Master

Does anyone know how to balance the crankshaft after grinding on it?

But I ain't tellin.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Default Come on Motorman

Originally posted by Motorman

But I ain't tellin.
How about a hint
Old 10-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Maybe some of you guys can help me out with this probem or symptom that I"m experiencing. I recieved an engine to try out, the deck height wasn't anything out of control like .018", used a medium plug comparable to an OS #8 for break in, ambient temp in 50's, humidity seemed low. I idled 1/2 tank at 200* through it and let cool, idled 1/2 tank and let cool, ran 2nd tank slowly though it at 200-210* let cool, leaned out a little while driving slowly at 220* let cool, 3rd tank drove harder let cool, slowly leaner then on 6th tank was to race tune or what it seemed to run best at for needle settings and running temp was 250-260. On the 5-6th tank went to a MC-59 plug since that is what I like to run also. I also used the same gearing, clutch, pipe/manifold for all of this that I usually run on another engine and same brand, nitro and oil % fuel, so only difference is the engine. The engine ran OK, took it apart to inspect it afterwards and there was pitting on bottom of button and top of piston and I also think that all of the internal parts had a little more oil residue on them then what I normally notice on my other engine. The coil on the plug that I used to break the engine in with and with the MC-59 was also pushed up into the plug body a good amount also. So there's no question that there is pre-detonation, I know I could run a colder plug, less nitro %, or raise the deck height to fix the problem. I ran my other engine afterwards and it had a lot more power, ran great, running temp 205* and it's deck height is lower. I have run my other engine in a gas TC with 40% nitro, .015" deck height and had no problems with detonation so am clueless to what would make this engine do it so badly when it's set up for what seems normal to me. My question is though is there something else that I don't know or am missing that could cause that with one engine over another?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Motorman
Everyone starts somewhere even the motorman. Hang tough bro as long as your havin fun thats all that matters. I'm proud of ya!
yeah alex and tommy!....
Old 10-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

slobba what 3 engines are you referring to?
that would be helpful
Old 10-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry forgot about that, there's only 2 engines I'm talking about. The engine I run and it works good is a fantom '03 rear exhaust, the one I just got from a friend is an OPS rear exhaust, no part number on the box and nothing on the case other than "OPS". This one looks decent and isn't the odd or goofy looking ones that I've seen from them in the past. I don't have a digital camera but if you'd like maybe I can describe the how the engine looks.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by SlobbaTech
Sorry forgot about that, there's only 2 engines I'm talking about. The engine I run and it works good is a fantom '03 rear exhaust, the one I just got from a friend is an OPS rear exhaust, no part number on the box and nothing on the case other than "OPS". This one looks decent and isn't the odd or goofy looking ones that I've seen from them in the past. I don't have a digital camera but if you'd like maybe I can describe the how the engine looks.
I had OPS.12 side exaust engine and it was doing the same thing, I redirect all flow of mixture it became OK. I think in your case I will run in engine more, don't rase the botton, will loose power, but will not solve the problem, put colder plug.
You are right abou the past of OPS. In the past it was one of the best ( at list big sizes). I run it on tether boats and set couple Soviet union records on it ( they were higher then world records). I still have mine, with custom made conrod ( roller bearing on the botoom of conrod) and I put pics of it in forum before. OPS .12 wasn' done that good as old engines, so I just left it for my collection .
I wouldn't waste mine time and money on one more OPS.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

so now days which engine or engines are supposed to be the best?
Old 11-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rodrigo1508
so now days which engine or engines are supposed to be the best?
It is very interesting question and for sure you will not have one universal answer. Some of the racers preferd Novarossi, some preferd RB, Sirio, OS. I think it is just personal preference.
I would sugest to wait for about 1-2 month, couse Motorman is comming up with his engine, O'Donnell is preparing his engine, myself will have engine. So, situation might be changed in any possible way.
From what is available today on market, I think the best is Novarossi based engines and Sirio.
I am sure other racer will make input for this topic and you can make your decision then.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been impressed with my NovaMega SX12 and Novarossi NS12S3.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Surge
I've been impressed with my NovaMega SX12 and Novarossi NS12S3.
Which ones?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

here is a question - while we are on this subject: I am picking up a new mill for another touring car i just built, and am having the hardest time deciding on what to get. It needs to have so go. I currently run an OS .1%CV-R, and have experience with the Mugen MT12. Are there any stock, non mod engines that are gonna have considerably more power than these.

I have been looking at the RB V12, and the Sirio 12TRP - any ideas? other recommendations?

BTW - problem with deciding on long stroke or short stroke, since i race both at a small parking lot track, and a huge permenent track (superior hobbies & Full Throttle raceway).

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by nitroaddict
here is a question - while we are on this subject: I am picking up a new mill for another touring car i just built, and am having the hardest time deciding on what to get. It needs to have so go. I currently run an OS .1%CV-R, and have experience with the Mugen MT12. Are there any stock, non mod engines that are gonna have considerably more power than these.

I have been looking at the RB V12, and the Sirio 12TRP - any ideas? other recommendations?

BTW - problem with deciding on long stroke or short stroke, since i race both at a small parking lot track, and a huge permenent track (superior hobbies & Full Throttle raceway).

Any input would be appreciated.
For non modded engine You can go for any of Novas based engines-MR12, SX12, RB V12.
When you mean short strock engine and long strock engine, are referign to strock or to rod lenght? If to strock, Sirio has shorter strock, if refering to rod lenght-here is MT12.
For parking lot I would go to MT12, for huge permanent track MR12 , SX 12 or RB V12.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ditto on all those engines!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.