Wiki Posts
Search

Losi xxx-4

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool Losi xxx-4

Didn't see a thread for this and thought there should be one for such a great piece of kit.

Info on set up on this car can be a bit rare in the UK as the snoring cars are so popular off road numbers are becoming smaller, is this class still big in the states?

I have just finished building mine and hope (rain permitting) to race it on sunday on a large grass track. I will start off with the kit settings, but it seems really soft, anyone have any tips or tricks that i should know?

Team drivers here in the UK are putting their rear shocks behind the rear shock mount to improve stability (apparantly it means hacking the wing a bit) has anyone tried this and does it help at all?

Can any one help with the slipper, how tight/loose should this be as a starting point? How do you test how tight it is etc?

So basically fellas lets get this thread going and keep it at the top of the list

Chris
Old 07-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

We'll my last upgrade for the xxx-4, was the team trinity xxx-s aluminum steering bell cranks, the aluminum xxx-s steering brace, steering bearings and lunsford titanium turnbuckles.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

xxx-4 carbon fiber shock tower braces are on order.
http://home.comcast.net/~teamprp/
Old 07-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Kit set up

I Have been racing my XXX4 all summer on a blue groove somewhat small off road track and have been using the
kit set up. The buggy is very quick and responsive and a blast
too drive--I am setting in third place in points right now and
hope too move up Sunday as the first two drivers are at the
Nats this weekend.

About the only change I have made from the kit set up is
using the 10 degree front mount---and tried several tire
combos--they seem to change from week to week as to want one works best.

good luck and have fun.

R.G.Keiser
Old 07-28-2003, 12:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by jakes7
xxx-4 carbon fiber shock tower braces are on order.
http://home.comcast.net/~teamprp/
Will the carbon fibre braces stiffen up the chasis where the front shock towers bolts to the chasis. Is that what the small pieces of carbon fibre are for?
I broke my chasis when i lawn darted up side down of a big triple at my local track. I was using the carbon front shock tower on the stock plastic chasis.
Just lookin for something to stiffen up the chasis in that area
Old 07-28-2003, 01:12 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for your replies.

The weather held out...just! had a down pour but the track managed to drain nicely.

It has been about 5 years since my last off road race and i loved it! The car was handling nicely although with a new set of Schumacher blue mini spikes on grass meant alot of grip mid corner which kept catching me out. I moved the shocks to their outer most holes front and back on both the wishbones and shock tower, this made it a little better, but i still need a few more tuning options such as springs and pistons to get it working really well.

Speed was good but i feel the diffs and slipper were not set up right, can any body give me a few ideas on how to set these up?

I was in 3rd spot going into round 5 and mid way through whilst flashing for FTQ hit the double jump slightly off centre at full speed, the car flipped mid air and landed on the rear shock mount, it cracked it right through the middle...! some of you seem to be using the carbon fibre ones, are these stronger/better than the Losi graphite ones?

Overall well impressed with the car.

How did everyone else do at the weekend?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Chris
Old 07-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

We'll the carbon fiber is not a replacment shock tower.
First time i drove my car on a track, within half a pack i broke the rear shock tower. I bought the losi carbon shock towers and the carbon fiber braces and have not broken one sense.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by jakes7
We'll the carbon fiber is not a replacment shock tower.
First time i drove my car on a track, within half a pack i broke the rear shock tower. I bought the losi carbon shock towers and the carbon fiber braces and have not broken one sense.
Is losi making the carbon fibre braces? If so do you happen to know the part no.?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

no, losi does not make the brace, but it is on the website listed above for $23-25
Old 07-29-2003, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Cheers Jakes7, looks like a order to PRP will have to be made. Because the graphite towers are only 2mm thick and the standard compisite items are a bit thicker, do you have to add spacers to the shocks to get the kit angle (hope that makes sense!)

Still need a little bit of help with diff and slipper set up. Fast Buggy/Jakes7/SrRC what settings do you take to the track as a starting point?

Thanks

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 12:48 AM
Tech Initiate

I have problems with my sliper tighting up on me when ever i race it. Ill go out to race my frist heat, an half way through it, my sliper is all the way tight. has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Ray V,

How do you test if the slipper is tight or not? That is one of the things that i am still not sure on.

Thanks for your help

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Tech Initiate

well there is a nut, that looks like a washer on the top bracket, by where the sper-gear is located. An i loosen it up so i turn the sper with my thumb, an then put the cover on it, an through it down on the track, an see if its to tight, or to lose. An i just cant seem to get it to stay where i leave it. ill have it just right, an then it just tightens up on me when i run it. any ideas?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:19 AM
Tech Regular

That sounds like a very frustrating problem! As i'm new to this car i can't really say too much except for a strip down, clean and check of the spur/slipper unit. I'm sure you have already done this but if possible replace any worn or maybe bent items that may be putting pressure on the slipper nut causing it to tighten (a shot in the dark!) When the slipper unit is apart go back to the instructions and double check that the order of parts are in the correct order and seated properly etc. Are the two screws holding the spur gear assembly in to the chassis too tight?

This is all guess work, maybe some of the others guys on this thread can give you some more detailed advice.

Hope you get it sorted

Chris
Old 07-29-2003, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by ray v.
well there is a nut, that looks like a washer on the top bracket, by where the sper-gear is located. An i loosen it up so i turn the sper with my thumb, an then put the cover on it, an through it down on the track, an see if its to tight, or to lose. An i just cant seem to get it to stay where i leave it. ill have it just right, an then it just tightens up on me when i run it. any ideas?
It is very frustrating and I have yet to see a solution that works consistently. Mine and others does the same things. If I find out how to fix it I will post it for the world to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.