Like Tree1Likes

Losi xxx-4

Old 08-04-2003, 07:51 AM
Tech Adept

Was is just the rear bouncing or the front?

Lucky you my car has the same problem. It doesn't ride the track near as smooth as my XX4 did.

I've been playing with Front kickup and rear anti-squat some and also shock dampening. The Losi Slider Axles also help according to Robbers...I have yet to get them to try.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It seemed that the rear was the problem, between the immense oversteer and boucy back it was a handful to drive! My mate was racing a xx4 and his seemed alot more planted but then he has had it for a few years and i have had mine 2 weeks so to TQ was quite good.

Have you had any sucess with things you've been trying? What are the principles behind those alterations? Why do the type of driveshafts alter the handling?

What ride hight do you tend to run on a track with jumps and ruts?

Thanks for the help...again!

Chris
Old 08-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

The sliders are very free and eliminate alot of the binding in the drivetrain that occurs when the car is under acceleration and moving through bumps. That's what I was told and that's what I remember when I played with a friends Losi Spec car and the old Losi cars that they came standard in. I have yet to try it but I have no reason not to believe it doesn't work. I'm just waiting on some parts to come in for me to try them.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:43 AM
Tech Regular

Do you have the part numbers for the parts needed? is this mod rear only or would it benifit the front also?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

This is what I ordered. I think it is enough to complete the "conversion." Plus the pulley and the parts to complete a diff.

Molded Universal Set [LOSA3013]
Molded Out-Drive Set:XX [LOSA3095]
Molded Out-Drive Universal Pivot [LOSA3096] x 2
R Axles,Washer,Pin [LOSA3015]

Links to the above items
http://h1070670.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=LOSA3013
http://h1070670.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=LOSA3095
http://h1070670.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=LOSA3096
http://h1070670.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=LOSA3015

Also, did you get the 1 deg rear hubs to put in the back to give you 3 deg of toe-in. I've never ran the car without them but it would probably take some steering away and help the rear get more bite coming off the turns.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Just noticed...

New setups posted on the Losi site. One is for a bumpy track.

Marcus Lubke Rough/Bumpy Track Set up
http://www.teamlosi.com/pictures/jpe...ubke_bumpy.jpg

Ryan Cavalieri's 2003 Losi Race Set up
http://www.teamlosi.com/pictures/jpe...e_TLrace03.jpg

Humm interesting...Front internal spring.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Another trick to try on rough tracks is put a CR rear end on it.

You need the XXX-S inner pivot blocks, longer rear inner hingepins and XXcr rear hubs.

Replace the rear inner pivot supports with the XXX-S parts. You will need to move the front set back exactly one hole. This is accomplished by mounting them one hole back from the exisiting mounts (the XXXS mounts have 4 holes so you can just move the mount back, and drill a new hole using the extra hole in the mount as guide). I will try and draw up a picture later if you don't understand.

If I remember you still will need to shim the arms to get the right spacing.

Install the CR hubs in place of the XXX hubs.
Remove about .030 limiting from the shocks.

This moves the inner hingepins out farther and helps the car resist roll. It seems to work on rough tracks but on high bite applications it makes the car push.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Jared/Skip gear

Thanks for all the info there, looks like a order to the LHS is definately in order and a good days testing!!

The CR conversion sounds like it would eliminate most of my problems! Skip Gear if you have time a drawing would definately help, its hard to picture your explaination without a car in front of me (at work!) Does this conversion make a big difference? If you could supply part numbers that would help also.

Jared thanks for the links to the set ups and part no's. Can i use this conversion with the CR conversion Skip Gear has mentioned? Had a quick look and is that guy using an internal spring to limit shock travel? Have you heard of this before?

Right back to work!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:42 AM
Tech Adept

That spring does go in the shock internally. The theory came out with the XX-4 back when it was first released I think. I never used it so I don't know the effects. I didn't race the XX4 before the worlds edition and even then I only got to run it about 5 times in a race. (It seems the yankees think they should only run 2wd).

You can use the Losi sliders with the CR rear end.

I'm going to try and get to the track this Thur evening for some Setup R&D. I'll let you know how things go and if I find anything that is worth trying.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:14 AM
Tech Regular

Jared, do you use the CR rear end? I really want to try out alot of these new ideas from you guys, only thing is off road is just not popular any more, its a real shame. Some supberb tracks have just been concereted over for touring use!

With that conversion will the shocks still be able to be mounted on the rear of the tower?
Old 08-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

I don't use it nor have have tried it. It was something that a few of the team was playing with and Skip tried it and liked it. He's taken it off though because it did put a push into the car. I think you can make the stock rear end work with some time. At least learn it firt. That is just my opinion.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

Question for you, who makes those mini-pin tires I see pictured alot on the european 4wd cars for both front and rear?
Old 08-05-2003, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Have you got a picture in mind? Just a guess but the only tyres not really avaliable to you in the USA are schumacher and Ballistic Buggy tyres. These tyres are the tyres the BRCA have issued as control tyres for national tyres. If you have a pic that would help.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

I took a look at Ballastic Buggy's website and those was the ones I was thinking about.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

For those in Europe. I sent over a few pairs of my arms (see link below) to a team that was looking for a more laid down front shock position for the grass tracks.

I haven't gotten a lot of feedback, and I primarily race on looser tracks.

Have a look if you haven't seen these yet. I've got about 60 pair of these in circulation with very good results so far.

www.dpmracing.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.