Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack. >

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC 4000/25C/3.7V single cell Hardcase pack.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

3.2v is bone dry
Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
does SMC have a suggested storage voltage? there was some mention last year that the popular storage setting 3.9v per cell was too high.

so is 3.2v a good working number for storage?
This is me personally, after the last race I store all my lipos with what is left in them. I have never really checked them after finishing for the day but they charge to spec or close to it. I was told by a team driver if storing for a month or more, put a full chage in.

This was posted on another site........

"For long term storage of your LiPo packs you should charge them to their nominal voltage of 3.7 volts per cell and keep them in a cool place. Unlike NiMh batteries LiPo batteries hold their charge for a lot longer and you never want to let LiPo cells drop below 3.2 volts per cell, or you can cause permanent damage.
--
Joshua Gordon
Common Sense RC
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Toll Free 866-405-8811 "

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adamge
3.2v is bone dry
Originally Posted by lidebt2
This is me personally, after the last race I store all my lipos with what is left in them. I have never really checked them after finishing for the day but they charge to spec or close to it. I was told by a team driver if storing for a month or more, put a full chage in.

This was posted on another site........

"For long term storage of your LiPo packs you should charge them to their nominal voltage of 3.7 volts per cell and keep them in a cool place. Unlike NiMh batteries LiPo batteries hold their charge for a lot longer and you never want to let LiPo cells drop below 3.2 volts per cell, or you can cause permanent damage.
--
Joshua Gordon
Common Sense RC
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Toll Free 866-405-8811 "

Hope this helps.
oops, my typo. should have been 3.7 instead of 3.2. earliear in this thread Danny indicated 3.9 was too high, but i never saw a preferred storage level. i guess 3.7 to 3.8 is it.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
AMC
Tech Rookie

Default Lipo cell voltage storage

I understand why a low voltage storage of Lipo's could be a problem say for example 3.2 But why would 3.6 3.7 3.8 be an issue.

Really looking for a technical response please if anyone knows.

Danny you have PM

Last edited by AMC; 09-09-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default .

Last edited by mikecatts; 09-16-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

"Ran the pack till it dumped" <-- basically NEVER do that. Lipo's do not tolerate being run down too low on voltage, that's when they swell up.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default .

Last edited by mikecatts; 09-16-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikecatts
I was told via another post that if I use V198 or higher with the tekin..I HAVE to use the esc switch to get it to cutoff?...Is that true? If so..Thanks Tekin for not telling...(nothing but headaches with the tekin)..
I dont use the esc switch..I was told not to..To use the battery and bypass the switch..Now Im told different? very confused!!!
If i switch the esc switch..while using the single lipo...what will happen?
I havnt tried..
Got a novak booster, and a ching chong one..will try that with the Novak 4 cell esc..rather than using a seperate reciever pack...any tips using this set-up?
I go from Battery, to booster, then to reciever? yes?
Do i still use the esc switch?
Using the SMC 4900 3.7v single cell. I want to sort this out before i use my NEW 5000 50c 3.7v cells.
Thanks for all the help guys..
I have noticed today that the single cell has gone down..the sweeling has gone? Weird..is this normal?
Mike
Hi Mike,

I would personally never rely on the ESC to let me know when my Lipo pack is done. I know roughly what I use on an 8-minute run and it isn't anywhere near the capacity of the pack. When I practice I set the timer on my transmitter to let me know when 8-minutes is up. By that time my tires are done anyways, althought the battery could easily go another 8-minutes if I chose to set the radio timer for something longer than 8-minutes.

It sounds like you have your booster wired correctly. Power comes in directly from main leads and then out to an aux or batt/BEC on the receiver. I do believe for the Lipo cutoff to function on that ESC, you do need to switch the ESC on and not just the booster. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but again I don't personally rely on the ESC to tell me when the battery is done.

The lipo swelling is what happens when they are run down too far. I've never seen or heard of a lipo un-swelling after it has puffed up, but I've personally never had a lipo swell on me.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

mike catts, what company makes these 5000mah 50c lipo's?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

SMC makes a 50C
Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was told via another post that if I use V198 or higher with the tekin..I HAVE to use the esc switch to get it to cutoff?...Is that true? If so..Thanks Tekin for not telling...(nothing but headaches with the tekin)..
I dont use the esc switch..I was told not to..To use the battery and bypass the switch..Now Im told different? very confused!!!
I havnt tried..
Got a novak booster, and a ching chong one..will try that with the Novak 4 cell esc..rather than using a seperate reciever pack...any tips using this set-up?
Using the SMC 4900 3.7v single cell. I want to sort this out before i use my NEW 5000 50c 3.7v cells.
I have noticed today that the single cell has gone down..the sweeling has gone? Weird..is this normal?
Mike
who told you how to hook up your tekin speedo up in 1s configuration? if you were working with Randy, then I assure you that he would have explained how the 1s setup works.

to have the speedo "do it's thing" you need to turn the speedo on. without turning the speedo on, you are bypassing some of the logic that the speedo has. the cut off circuit is one of the things that you are by passing.

as most of the replys have said, most are not running the 1s cut off, most don't run their cars for more then a full race time. that is 8 min. with a 17.5 you use about 1300-1500 mah, with 13.5 you are about 1800-2100mah. with a booster you are using a little more.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hi,

Sorry i am not sure if this was asked before..

Have anybody used the SMC Marc Reinhard edition lipos? Are they any good?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

SMC was released 50C+ Series LIPO NOW !
http://rcmarket.com.hk/index.php?man...8leqei35q2t0o1
Old 11-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arahawak
Hi,

Sorry i am not sure if this was asked before..

Have anybody used the SMC Marc Reinhard edition lipos? Are they any good?
tested lower IR & had more punch !
other battery can't support .
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Tech Adept

I havnt tried..
Mike
ths switch is handyier than having to pull out the plug. Easier to reach on the car with the body on. If you think it's trouble source, don't use it.

About your battery swell up, easy rules to follow:
Always use balancing process during charge.
Always use Lipo mode on the speedo.
Never store a full battery.
Always use storage function after using the battery.

Yes, if the shape is back to normal, that means the inner chemistry get back to normal, you're lucky. Respect the rules above and everything should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.