Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO) >

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22SCT Thread (Check First Page for FAQ & INFO)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kuya_Kimo
Check your diff first, make sure it's butter smooth while tight (this truck likes a tight diff)

I'm a new owner of a 22sct and found a sweet spot early on. This truck has A LOT of steering and body-roll (roll should be fixed with the sway bars). However, I did have to redo my diff after only 2 race nights and no practice laps. I bought the AE diff rebuild kit for $8 and used all those parts minus the big rings as suggested by the rctech community.

(My b4.1/t4.1/ex-sc10 diffs last me months)

Try a less aggressive front tire too, this truck has plenty of steering and it'll just work.
2 race nights? thats crazy. Frank Root claimed he doesn't rebuild a diff w/ the tungsten diff balls until the outdrives wear out, and thats a lot of time on a diff.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildrcracn
Ok what about the shims or sway bar
We are getting a turn out about 40 people to our track and more than half using gladiators or choppers
Choppers do seam to be working better but my truck still loops out way to much
And I have been racing for years and my xxx sct never did this
I went from winning all the time to the back of the pack now
What setup did you run on the XXX-SCT. Just curious what you like as far as setups.

I would go with some extra toe in for a loose track like that. Stock the truck comes with 3 deg I would go 3.5-4 deg of rear toe in. What compound tires are you running and are you using gladiators front and rear? For loose conditions especially I always try and run a harder tire up front then the rear. Not knowing how loose the dirt is but may want to try something in a M4 in the rear and M3 in the front if you like pro-line tires or Panther makes some great treads and a SS in the rear and a S in the front. Either a Raptor for med dust and hard base or a boa for deep loam.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewTom
2 race nights? thats crazy. Frank Root claimed he doesn't rebuild a diff w/ the tungsten diff balls until the outdrives wear out, and thats a lot of time on a diff.
I was optimistic with the Losi screw and thrust washers thinking I could get a lot more out of them than those "complainers". I was wrong, I do know a lot of 22b/t drivers who use AE diff parts and spurs.

I guess I just joined the "crowd".
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Thumbs up Same Thing!!!

I heard the same thing... Don't touch it till it goes bad or you wear out the outdrives!!! How do you guys break in a ball diff??? I used a drill.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ran the new truck last week for its first race...

We run 17.5 blinky on astro turf. There where still a few guy out with 13.5 running some boost. So I tried not to pay to much attention those trucks. I had electronic gremlins all through qualifying but manages to Q-3 in the A-main. 13.5 ahead of me. I ran very close to box stock with 35 caster and schumacher mini pins. Everyone is still trying to get used to the new astro turf and the truck felt very edgy in the corners...

Truck jumped like a trooper. even with the 17.5 it was a pleasure to drive. So relaxed compared to my 22buggy LOL The A main started off great 3 of use took off in a line and battled closesly for a few laps... then it happened! BODY TUCK!! WTF???? Im not racing touring cars am i? Well i lost a few laps to it as none of the marchals i stopped infront of saw the tucked body! LOL Oh well i finished 4th but had a blast..

Tomorrow nite ill have the velcro on the nerf bars and body to hopefully stop that from happening... I suppose ill toss the nerf bars if this happens again though.. I may try to reduce the caster as well, but I will be trying out some Dboots multibites first.

Anyway love the truck way better then i recall my SC10 i ran a few years ago..

Ball diff is feeling great. I guess 17.5 will do that...

My budy Chris painted the lid for me:

Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Ran the new truck last week for its first race...

We run 17.5 blinky on astro turf. There where still a few guy out with 13.5 running some boost. So I tried not to pay to much attention those trucks. I had electronic gremlins all through qualifying but manages to Q-3 in the A-main. 13.5 ahead of me. I ran very close to box stock with 35 caster and schumacher mini pins. Everyone is still trying to get used to the new astro turf and the truck felt very edgy in the corners...

Truck jumped like a trooper. even with the 17.5 it was a pleasure to drive. So relaxed compared to my 22buggy LOL The A main started off great 3 of use took off in a line and battled closesly for a few laps... then it happened! BODY TUCK!! WTF???? Im not racing touring cars am i? Well i lost a few laps to it as none of the marchals i stopped infront of saw the tucked body! LOL Oh well i finished 4th but had a blast..

Tomorrow nite ill have the velcro on the nerf bars and body to hopefully stop that from happening... I suppose ill toss the nerf bars if this happens again though.. I may try to reduce the caster as well, but I will be trying out some Dboots multibites first.
I would try 0 hubs and run the 30 kick. It makes it less aggressive but it still has a ton of steering..
Old 12-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

I have chopped all the nerf bars off my trucks. I did that on all my Slashes, (yes, plural) it was the first thing I did on my XXX-SCT was chop them off (eventually went to SCB chassis) and it will be the part I leave out on my 22 when i get it.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by spider882009
I heard the same thing... Don't touch it till it goes bad or you wear out the outdrives!!! How do you guys break in a ball diff??? I used a drill.
of the two times I've built a ball diff, I have broke it in via the method stickied in this forum.
the method is the one where you go one tire to the other tire slowly building rpm and tightening the diff as you go.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I use a fast drill and/or the regular method. If the diff is directly going in the truck, I'll use the truck/buggy to do it.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I use my Hitachi cordless drill with a drill chuck installed. Hi speed setting is 600 rpm's, about the perfect speed. I can feel as the diff breaks in. Works great for me.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I just put my 1.5mm in the left outdrive and turn my throttle trim up to the slowest cog free speed I can get, for about 3 minutes, tighten and repeat until I hit my setting. I'll do something like mount tires or build shocks while it runs.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank Root
I just put my 1.5mm in the left outdrive and turn my throttle trim up to the slowest cog free speed I can get, for about 3 minutes, tighten and repeat until I hit my setting. I'll do something like mount tires or build shocks while it runs.
so, you basically have the truck/buggy fully assembled (tires off?) with a 1.5mm allen drive in one outdrive holding it still while the other side spins slowly.

would it be necessary to switch the allen drive from one side to the other???
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

so, you basically have the truck/buggy fully assembled (tires off?) with a 1.5mm allen drive in one outdrive holding it still while the other side spins slowly.

would it be necessary to switch the allen drive from one side to the other???
I do it with the tires on but not required. I run my diff both ways when breaking-in like Frank described.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

i'm getting close to a rebuild on my XXX, so I will have to try that.
IMO, "there are many ways to skin a cat".
I have heard of numerous methods to break in.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I do it with the tires on but not required. I run my diff both ways when breaking-in like Frank described.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.