Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
How do you adjust engine timing on nitro engines? >

How do you adjust engine timing on nitro engines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

How do you adjust engine timing on nitro engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chickentrader
Very interesting; a couple of matters that I would like to learn more about:

1. Which areas should be roughened up with sandpaper for better flowspeed?
2. What is pumping effect of the crankcase?
3. Do you have a download link to the book that reloaf has recommended?

Any advice of would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Pumping effect: basically on a two stroke, the crankcase acts like a fuel pump and since the air is involved too, sort of like a supercharger as well. The higher the compression ratio in the case, the more the effect though higher ratios also mean less volume so you lose on volumetric efficiency so around 1.5 to 1 seems to be the magic number.

The link:

http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/
Old 02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Pumping effect: basically on a two stroke, the crankcase acts like a fuel pump and since the air is involved too, sort of like a supercharger as well. The higher the compression ratio in the case, the more the effect though higher ratios also mean less volume so you lose on volumetric efficiency so around 1.5 to 1 seems to be the magic number.

The link:

http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/
Many thanks for that information. I'll be busy for a while going through all that.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

What would happen if you ground the bottom of the exhaust port on the sleeve say 1mm to match the opening in the case?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Lord

You can get a worse milage. The small edge works like a gurney strip, any flow wil be bended up instead of direct to the port.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm trying to mod my older TN12 up. The piston/sleeve/Conrod are all good. The piston reaches the top of the sleeve with 1.5-2mm left before the piston stops. The rod also doesn't have any play.

From Steve Pond's article, I see that front port is smoothed out, but what about the exhaust port? Where would that be modified? What about the little groove on the crankcase, should I smooth that out a little bit? And what about the crankshaft inlet? How much material can be taken off a .12 piston safely?

I want to do this and am not worried about damage, but I'd like to do this correctly, or close, the first time.

Last edited by performula; 03-27-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

I'm looking for better top end results. Not the best.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by performula
I'm looking for better top end results. Not the best.
If you are looking to improve top end with a simple proven and reversible solution, place a shim under the sleeve´s edge and the seating area on the cranckcase, that way you´ll increase total exhaust timing giving you more top end. start with a 0.10mm shim. Don´t forget you´ll have to re-shim the combustión chamber accordingly, that is remove same amount of shim 0.10mm

AFM
Old 03-27-2013, 04:52 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by performula
I'm trying to mod my older TN12 up. The piston/sleeve/Conrod are all good. The piston reaches the top of the sleeve with 1.5-2mm left before the piston stops. The rod also doesn't have any play.

From Steve Pond's article, I see that front port is smoothed out, but what about the exhaust port? Where would that be modified? What about the little groove on the crankcase, should I smooth that out a little bit? And what about the crankshaft inlet? How much material can be taken off a .12 piston safely?

I want to do this and am not worried about damage, but I'd like to do this correctly, or close, the first time.
the exhaust port? Where would that be modified: for top end you would have to cut the top edge to increment exhaust duration, but that has to be done in degrees and very tricky if you are not experienced.

And what about the crankshaft inlet? here is where you get the most notorious engine improvement. Induction timing works like this: earlier opening = more low end . Later closing = more top end.
Also keep in mind that the greatest boost in power is gained by increasing total induction duration, and increasing inner diameter of passage in crankshaft.

How much material can be taken off a .12 piston safely? stay away from this option.

AFM
Old 03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

I cleaned up the front port, bottom of the sleeve, a tail groove on both side ports, I cleaned up the crank groove, and roughed up the inlet port on the front of the crank. I actually used a file in there, just a couple rubs nothing crazy. I kept reading about turbulence for better mixtures.

If it runs like crap oh well.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Modding

I would like to thank all that have posted info on this thread. It has helped a lot. I built an angle finder like Stefan posted using a 5 mm pinion gear glued to the back. I also made a piston stop to get TDC . I first Modded a Sportwerks .26 . I ground away the bridge at the bottom of the intake runners to match a Novarossi I had. I then sharpened the bottom of the sleeve. I didn't touch the ports on the liner but I ground on the crank to make it close at 65 degees after TDc with a 215 duration. It runs awesome I tried it in my driveway and I thought it was going to tear the driveline out of the car. I have a lrp 30 x I was going to do and it doesn't need alot . Maybe a couple degrees on the closing of the crank as it closes at 62 degrees. I wonder how thin I can go on the Crankshaft before it would break? It is 14 mm and the hole in it is 10.5 mm. I was thinking about going to 11mm. Fuel mileage isn't a concern.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

subscribed
Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alex_blais
What would happen if you ground the bottom of the exhaust port on the sleeve say 1mm to match the opening in the case?
This tread is 100 years old. If you go through a lot fo treads you will find all answers on you any raised question.
On this question I will answer for you-do not cut bottom edge of exhaust windows. If you cut and it will open while piston in Top Dead Center your engine will have decompression of crankcase, it will mess up all your timings, millage and power. What is the reason you want to cut it> do you think if you make smoother pass for better flow it will run better? It doesn't work that way, it is not sewer pipe with shit flowing in it, there are many processes involved, including sound wave, so that "smoothing" will do nothing in terms of better flow. But decompression will kill your engine performance, specially with tuned pipe. But I can guarranty you, it will work much better without tuned pipe.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

BTW, too many new faces here and most of them didn't read all our materials in 2004-2006 time frame.
Here is trick for you-if you want to change exhaust timing, or transfer timing and don't feel comfortable to mess with sleeve, you can do it change without touching sleeve. You can cut piston correspondent to port segment. Search somewhere in my tread Palmaris Engines ( http://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-n...ne-thread.html ) and you will find good pictures there how it is done. I did many many times. I know it is a lot of reading and searching, but it worth it.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingracer
Here is the wiki page on nitromethane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitromethane

As you can see from this info, nitromethane is explosive. Also, since it is an oxygen carrier, it requires less oxygen to burn. Since we don't usually reduce the carb venturi when going up in nitro % this will require a richer needle setting (same amount of air will require more fuel) therefore fuel mileage is reduced.

I have to agree with Roelof that more nitro is easier to tune up to a certain point. It will be much easier to tune a motor on 30% nitro than it will be on 5%. However, it would probably be quite difficult to tune them on really high % nitro simply because our motors are not designed for it. Now if we increased head volume and made numerous other changes it would probably work OK but no one I know has ever tried it.
Hey brother, do you know difference between explosive and combustion? Nitromethane is explosive, but very poor combustible material and Stefan is almost right. Dynamite is explosive, but try to light it up with matches-good luck with that! and stop reading Wikipedia, it is social source, not scientific
Old 06-29-2013, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Glad to see you back EdwardN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.