Wiki Posts
Search

MEGA (by Picco) thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default zx12

has anyone else had issues with the ZX12 Legal leaking excessive oil from around the carby area at all? I am going to seal it up with high temp siliconne sealent, but was just curious?

BB
Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)
Default whats a good low end tune ?

low end tuning

guys i can never get my head around a good low end tune.
provided the engine is warmed up, do you keep leaning the low end bit by bit till it idles for 10-20 seconds then takes off cleanly ?

or do you listen to the sound of the engine and lean it when the revs drop after a few seconds ?

idle tune: once the low end seams steady, do you adjust the idle so that its low enough not to stall ?

thank you
John
Old 09-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

I do it just by listening to the sound of the engine. After a few seconds full throttle it should drop back to idle immediately, and then run at a constant RPM. If the RPM drops a little bit, that's ok, but not too much. Then I tune the idle adjustment screw to let the idle be as low as possible.

When doing this, the engine takes off with a bit of sputtering, but without cutting out after about 20 to 30 seconds of idle.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
has anyone else had issues with the ZX12 Legal leaking excessive oil from around the carby area at all? I am going to seal it up with high temp siliconne sealent, but was just curious?

BB

I have the zx15 outlaw but they both suffer 'generally' from the same problems. Yes i've had that leak and I've sealed it up. It works pretty well now execpt for that exhaust gasket. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there. i've neve had that many busted gaskets with any of my other engines.

Anyway, seal it up, but don't go overboard doing it. In this case a little goes a far way.

Good luck
Old 09-19-2006, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Warmac
I have the zx15 outlaw but they both suffer 'generally' from the same problems. Yes i've had that leak and I've sealed it up. It works pretty well now execpt for that exhaust gasket. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there. i've neve had that many busted gaskets with any of my other engines.

Anyway, seal it up, but don't go overboard doing it. In this case a little goes a far way.

Good luck

Warmac:

Thanks for that, i will give it a try... little disappointed you need to do this though

BB
Old 09-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i dont have the problems of the carb leaking ? where is it leaking from ? the boot near the low speed needle. i found this did leak a little when running the engine in, i put this down to rich needle settings. it hasnt been a problem since it has been run in. also there are 2 types of gaskets for them as well. dont know if you know ? but the serpent pipes require the standardised gaskets, novarossi pipes require the non flanged gaskets, looks like a bit of rubber tube cut down to about 6 or 7mm. hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Bundy_Bear: You are welcome.

Pattojnr: It seems to be the luck of the draw. Where I drive, some of the guys have sold their engine, others have just put them down, some have no problem at all, yet another guy hs changed his carb to a rossi carb and seems happy and of course I've sealed mine up.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
i dont have the problems of the carb leaking ? where is it leaking from ? the boot near the low speed needle. i found this did leak a little when running the engine in, i put this down to rich needle settings. it hasnt been a problem since it has been run in. also there are 2 types of gaskets for them as well. dont know if you know ? but the serpent pipes require the standardised gaskets, novarossi pipes require the non flanged gaskets, looks like a bit of rubber tube cut down to about 6 or 7mm. hope this helps.
It looks like it coming from the throat of the carby where is goes into the crank case, but it is hard to be 100% sure as oil is all over the crank case. I have sealed it with high temp sealent and will see if i have any further problems. I am using that flat rubber gasket on the exhaust for my Skyline pipe

BB
Old 09-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default dsII .21 tune q..

hey guys
ive been tuning my engine i just have 1 question, the low end base setting is 2mm out from the carb..i have my top end set and now my low end needle is flush with the carb body pretty much..my top end needle is about 1/4 turn in from flush, any more and the engine hesitates.

If i go richer on the low end the engine has heaps of run on and actually sounds rich. with these settings now its still rich but keeps a steady idle for about 20 seconds and i can take off with a slight burble sound.

does this sound right ? i just wanna compare with some of your engine settings.

thanks heaps

Last edited by mrgsr; 09-23-2006 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 09-24-2006, 02:28 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Check my post 1 page back....
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=992

It's about the same.....
Old 09-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks MH7

are they your current tune settings or the standard settings ? thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 12:36 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Those are my current settings......
Old 09-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Originally Posted by Paolo M
Hi Mrgsr,

Main needle flush
Low speed needle 2 mm

This is a starter point on the rich side

Paolo
Does these setting apply to the ZX-12?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neltime64
Does these setting apply to the ZX-12?

The settings are for the ZX-21 DSII.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

m7h.. if i start the engine with the low end that far out it runs very rich, i now have my low end pretty flush with the carb body and it seams ok, but still only going to 85-90degrees Celsius and still rich middle range.

im gonna take it to the lhs the guy there is has been racing nitro for over 20 years his pretty good with tuning.. illlet u know how it goes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.