To Balance or Not to Balance Lipo Packs while charging

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Balance or Not to Balance Lipo Packs while charging

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Rookie

You 'probably' don't need to balance your batteries every charge, but if you have a balance charger (such as the Digital Balance Charger from Common Sense RC), it is just as easy to charge through the balance connector, so why not? If anything it will just help keep your batteries even healthier and extend their life.

Common Sense RC
Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trashedmaxx
What balancer would work for the orion 4800's and a maxamps 4s pack?
About any balancer would do as long as they can handle 2S-4S lipos. The problem is finding/making different adapters for the two different balancing taps.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wd40prerunner
how do you balance orion lipos if that dont have the taps?

go to the orion forums at their website. this has been discussed. you have to buy a few things to do it but there are instructions on how to modify and set it all up correctly.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

My balancers let me balance at charge amps (1c) so why not
Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

With the taps you really do not need to have a balancing charger. All you have to do is charge one cell at a time. The charger will cut the voltage at 8.4 for each cell in turn balancing the pack. Just make sure you have your charger set to charge 1S or you will ruin the pack and possiblily start a fire when doing this. The mAh setting should not change. The balancing charger will be faster though than this method but as stated eariler it does not have to be done every time.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by sport10
With the taps you really do not need to have a balancing charger. All you have to do is charge one cell at a time. The charger will cut the voltage at 8.4 for each cell in turn balancing the pack. Just make sure you have your charger set to charge 1S or you will ruin the pack and possiblily start a fire when doing this. The mAh setting should not change. The balancing charger will be faster though than this method but as stated eariler it does not have to be done every time.
if your willing to waste 3hours of your weekend waiting for each cell to peak at 0.1volts, then go for it.

but for me i rather spend $30 (same cost as a set of tires) to buy a balancer and save me 3 hours of my time for something else.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by pdungadamo
if your willing to waste 3hours of your weekend waiting for each cell to peak at 0.1volts, then go for it.

but for me i rather spend $30 (same cost as a set of tires) to buy a balancer and save me 3 hours of my time for something else.
It does not have to be done everytime. More like once a month so the extra time is not matter to me.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

So based on most of your opinions here, I guess I can safely charge my 4400mah 2s Lipos at 1C at the track with my non-balancing fast charger...
and use my balancing charger (Common Sense/DN) at the end of the day to charge at a slower 2Amp max current at home?

Great! Then I wont have to replace my chargers yet.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I charge my pack with 0.1v of inbalance and at the final each cell reach 4.2V at same time

and it take less time to charge it with no balancer

best balance it with hx8080 charger individual cell charger
Old 09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I have a related question.

I got an MRC 989 charger that will do lipos, but what I don't understand is when you buy a seperate balancer, do you somehow hook in the charger to the balancer then the balance to the lipo? Or is the balance ran seperately?

Exactly how does all this work together?

Seriously thinking of going to a 1 battery lipo setup here in my stadium.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Initiate

if you take equinox it balance between charger and batterie

the blinky astro flight balance when you plug it seperately with or without charger

i like the balancer seperately because the cable for balancing is very small for large current