Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BardSmith
So what kinda pinion sizes have you experimented with for 17.5?
I race at aldershot track uk and we are in mid to low 3 fdr for 17.5t blinky
So 22t at 3.60 fdr up to 28t at 2.83 fdr would cover all motors
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know the Evo is pretty new, but any thoughts on how it'd do on a tight mid-high grip carpet track? I'm debating grabbing one for indoor racing this winter.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Anyone ever went from a T4 to Mi5 evo? Curious on thoughts. (durability, quality, handling, etc.)
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Anyone ever went from a T4 to Mi5 evo? Curious on thoughts. (durability, quality, handling, etc.)
I have but am still building mine?
Hopefully have it ready for Sunday!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OVA
The Evo being out a week now...Well it is better than Mi5?
Mine will hit the track tomorrow, and I plan on doing a direct back to back with the Mi5. So can tell you for sure then... if it doesn't rain!

Originally Posted by shoman24v
Thank you. I wanted to be sure it wasn't made in China or something.
Seriously, without being rude, would it matter if it was made in China or somewhere else? I really don't get ruling out a product just because it's made in a specific country, pretty short sighted IMO. Baring the fact that most products in our lives (not just RC) tend to have components in some form or other connected to the big C, regardless of what it might say on the box...

Originally Posted by AMorgan
I know the Evo is pretty new, but any thoughts on how it'd do on a tight mid-high grip carpet track? I'm debating grabbing one for indoor racing this winter.
Originally Posted by Dan
Need to give it a bit more time in all honesty. It has only been a week since us "normo's" have had the car... Having said that, the initial feedback I've had from other drivers is been overwhelmingly positive, and I noted in my build that the plastics quality and so on has taken a step forward.

Ed
Old 06-27-2014, 03:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

AMorgan, I race at MRH in Maryland...a tight high grip carpet track. Although our indoor season has not started yet so the bite is not at its peak, my car felt very good on the practice day I had it out. Compared to the Mi5 the car seemed to transfer weight right to left faster. In the corners the car seemed to stay flatter. If you liked the Mi5 then it will be real hard not to like the Mi5evo...
Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I never had the mi5, but the evo looks gorgeous (my track won't even open until early September for the indoor season). Reading the review posted a few days ago it sounded like there was a lot of effort to make the car better in loose conditions so I wanted to make sure it hadn't gone too far in that direction. I guess when it comes down to it, I can wait a few weeks before deciding, lol.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ran my evo first time today, our local track is somewhat high traction tight track. the car like mi5 before it has difficulty with fast Z turn, the tail slide out with fast left right turn. with one of the rear wheel lifting. I soften the front spring and add support pose to the front hole on the upper deck to reduce the problem. maybe a 3mm upper deck will help. what is your suggestions, are was full stock setup,
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Evo's first outing

Originally Posted by Car Breaker
ran my evo first time today, our local track is somewhat high traction tight track. the car like mi5 before it has difficulty with fast Z turn, the tail slide out with fast left right turn. with one of the rear wheel lifting. I soften the front spring and add support pose to the front hole on the upper deck to reduce the problem. maybe a 3mm upper deck will help. what is your suggestions, are was full stock setup,
We race 13.5 boosted Indoors on carpet med grip with sore jb 28.
first outing and first impressions..... very good from kit setup out of the box was right on pace. Had a few issues with mid corner back end sliding ( controllable ) but just backed off the droop at little and this came back. I also think I will try softer front and stand the rear shocks up more. Currently red front green rear.
Cars steering is unbelievable even better than the mi5 change of direction is very quick but I turned my steering curve down to tame the back end. I am going to play with a list of setup changes but keep reverting back to base to compare before changing to mid motor as I don't think I tested rear enough with the mi5 before changing.
Our club is very competitive and on its first outing qualified p4. Very happy and after a few weeks testing hopefully it will get better still.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Take out the shims under the rear arm mounts and watch the rear end slide disappear .
Old 06-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
Take out the shims under the rear arm mounts and watch the rear end slide disappear .
Ah yeah to be honest I did the same with the MI5 but added the shims under the camber link balls to keep the same height but lower the roll centre.
also helped with the mi5 if you broke a ally screw ...
Old 06-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mutley001
I have but am still building mine?
Hopefully have it ready for Sunday!
Well, ran the car for the first time indoors on carpet today and very happy - car was easy to drive and carried great corner speed. Used the kit carpet setup but with 350 shock oil all round, kit green springs front and rear and the optional front Ackerman plates. Roll on thursday for it's next outing at a bit more competitive venue!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default "Big Mini" Mi5

after the release of Mi5evo, I had hard time selling my great condition mi5 even at dirt cheap price. I was fascinated and inspired by some Hong Kong with what they do with their old touring: the "big mini" (大隻仔) so I decide to make one as Mi5 has huge space electronics, It is a wonderful platform to create one.
look from top, there is a full size servo there, which mean even competition 120a esc can fit in with low profile servo with rx on top of servo. on the battery side, due to the reduces spaces, battery has to be secured in ARC R10 method unless someone planning to use a shorty.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1404106821
this car was designed to use traxxas 1/16 body so I have to keep the wheel base to about 210. I am still struggle with the choice of front belt. Schumacher 140t will give a wheel base of 208~209 (I cut the chassis 3mm longer than what the belt can fit) other choice I have will be Atomic VMii belt (145t) that might fit into the car without shorten the chassis. I am waiting for the belt and body before having a racer cut me this finalized version.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1404106821
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-imag0502.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-imag0503.jpg  
Old 06-30-2014, 04:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Mi5evo first run

So, had my first run with the evo on the weekend, and have to say, I'm very impressed. Overall seems to have more steering, and carries good corner speed.

Started out with an adapted version of my Mi5 setup, and tried quite a few things through the night. Main issue I had was the initial steering making the car a bit inconsistent. Adding the forward upper brace on the top deck helped a lot with improving the feeling. Also had added on all the wishbone straps, but ended up with just the FF and RR strap on, which also helped to steady the rear end in the lower traction.

Also played with the ackerman settings, and ended up with 3mm of shims to make the toe links straight. I did want to go back and test the kit settings again, but rain stopped play! Next time...

I did manage to do a quick back to back with my Mi5, and, well... the evo was quicker. Factoring in some differences (setup, track condition, etc), was guessing there was around 4/10ths difference, to the evo. I have to admit I was surprised it was that much, especially given the balance of the evo wasn't as good as the 5 at the time of the back-back.

Pretty impressed...Fundamentally think that the setup window of the car is much larger now, as if that is how the car works in low traction, really looking forward to getting onto higher grip, as there is tuning options aplenty still to go!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

yesterday first race at our local track with 2 Mi5 evo (me and a friend)

very impressed of the improvement from the Mi5...more corner entry, more corner speed, more corner exit...what else?

we run with Sorex 36SY, on a high grip asphalt and we started from the Grainger setup with only some small changes

very very satisfied!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.