Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default minis

yes that yokamo is nice i also had one years ago was one down from yours without the shocks . if your having problems with the front end bye a one way kit for it we use it and it works great have front a little under level and after you get use to it you can dive into the corners just like you had brakes .another way you can go to is to put one or two more washers in the balll dive and tighten it down it seems to work good to . if you want to go for speed get the baja motor that comes in the kit is 540 can fancooled internaly and on trinity monster machine 8.99 volts 54.000 rpm is just ballistic to drive
Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Freddie ~ Get back over to London RC
Old 09-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tony gray
A custom-build ULTIMATE electric Mini would have to be based on this - the Yokomo YRF2 SP.
Easily the coolest Touring Car ever built and a shrunken one would make an AWESOME mini....
Yeah I've been thinking the same thing ever since I got my M03...now with my M03 all beat up I'm thinking about scratch building something.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Tony! I've been perusing the rc-mini site for some time now, and noticed that you guys don't seem to like Tamiya tires. Does anyone in your crew run them, or are you all fortunate enough to have easy access to the south Asian market and all of it's goodies?

If so, what do you run if you're racing on carpet? We don't see much of anything besides Tamiya tires here, and people seem to have success with them. Are any of the tires you guys have reviewed on the site suitable for indoor carpet use?

Anyone else want to pipe in on this one? I'm looking for a new tire combination, and besides maintaining the great traction I've got now, I'd like to reduce the amount of rolling my car does. It's not much, but even once per race is a little annoying. I'm running 60d slicks on the front, and S Grips on the rear. Hard inserts all around.

Jim
Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Because Tamiya tires are very mediocre Jim.... Nowhere near as good as most of the aftermarket ones. And given that 99% of our racing over here is done on Asphalt it's a no-contest situation for us.

But...we do run Tamiya tires if we run carpet. S grips mainly, and they work fine there.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I've actually been pondering the idea of popping for some Team Powers tires from Harris RC. When you guys mentioned the wear characteristics, I thought my dreams had come true. That and they don't allow for much in the way of speed rolling. Seems to me I've spent more money on far more foolish things in the past.

We need a Canadian distributor to end the virtual monopoly that Tamiya's got here for m chassis tires.

Jim
Old 09-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One thing to remember Jim is that the rules we run under for CARCAR and WCICS (or at least my interpretation of them) would not allow non-Tamiya tires. I realize that the situation at KARZ is different (probably for the better too ) but it's something to keep in mind for those of us running multiple series.

Having said that I've been thinking of trying out the non-Tamiya alternatives too!

Cheers,
Mike

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
I've actually been pondering the idea of popping for some Team Powers tires from Harris RC. When you guys mentioned the wear characteristics, I thought my dreams had come true. That and they don't allow for much in the way of speed rolling. Seems to me I've spent more money on far more foolish things in the past.

We need a Canadian distributor to end the virtual monopoly that Tamiya's got here for m chassis tires.

Jim
Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Yeah, our rules at KARZ are fairly relaxed. We've even got some of the kids running on touring car foams, since it likely doesn't make much of a difference for them. Stu had some interesting rims he ordered in from somewhere, with a different offset. A few weeks back, Aaron was running some HPI X patterns on his M04.

As race coordinator, I'm completely cool with it, unless someone gains a massive, dominant advantage over everyone else because of the gear they're running. You, Stu, Josh, etc all did well not because of tires, but because you are all very good drivers.

So, until something momentous happens, KARZ is going to be relaxed about the tire rules. Everyone just has to remember to use the correct rubber if/when they run at CARCAR.

Hey, while I've got you here, Mike, it was M Grips you were running at all 4 corners, right? They seems to allow just enough slip on the carpet. Very nice.

Jim
Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone else want to pipe in on this one? I'm looking for a new tire combination, and besides maintaining the great traction I've got now, I'd like to reduce the amount of rolling my car does. It's not much, but even once per race is a little annoying. I'm running 60d slicks on the front, and S Grips on the rear. Hard inserts all around.

Jim
We've been running Minis on carpet for about the last year and a half and most are running S-Grips up front and Slicks on the rear with stock Tamiya hard inserts. A little CA glue on the front sidewalls will cure the traction rolling problem.

Anyone run enduros with Minis? We've run a few over the last year and they have been a blast! 1.2 hours, three man teams and a manditory motor change. The last race was decided by .2 seconds! Here's the results:
http://www.hobbyplexraceway.com/resu...nduro+Results/

Tim Ski
Old 09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

We're running an enduro in November. Probably be about 3 hrs total track time that evening. Should be a blast!

Jim
Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey, while I've got you here, Mike, it was M Grips you were running at all 4 corners, right? They seems to allow just enough slip on the carpet. Very nice.

Jim
Yea, I was running M-Grip Radials on all 4 corners. It was a total experiment as I had only ever run the slicks and the kit tires (are they S-Grip?) until I read somewhere that someone was running M-Grips, which I had never even really heard about. I honestly don't understand the range of tires available from Tamiya Anyway, I ordered a number of sets with firm and soft inserts (black and the blue ones from Tamiya) and glued up a set between the first and second heats. My car has NEVER been that hooked up before! It was a little tricky in that if my line was less than perfect or I came into a corner a little too hot the car traction rolled, but when I drove good lines the car carried insane corner speed. I ran 1 firm insert up front and 1 soft insert in the rear and used no traction compound.

I'm thinking I'll have to try out a swaybar up front just try to deal with the traction rolling and make the car just a little bit more forgiving. Anybody have any experience with the swaybars and their effectiveness (or not!).

Cheers,
Mike
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm don't know about the sway bars. I ran a set a while back, found the the car didn't handle as well, and rolled over just as much as ever. But, like like it says on rc-mini "Some people swear by them, others at them."

I'm going to try running S grips on the front and M grips on the rear this weekend, with hard inserts all around. I may even try to double stuff the fronts.

Jim
Old 09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default tires

Originally Posted by tony gray
Because Tamiya tires are very mediocre Jim.... Nowhere near as good as most of the aftermarket ones. And given that 99% of our racing over here is done on Asphalt it's a no-contest situation for us.

But...we do run Tamiya tires if we run carpet. S grips mainly, and they work fine there.
the tamiya m tires are good to but can only get from hong kong ?????????????dont know why
Old 09-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Default kropy

Originally Posted by Kropy
Freddie ~ Get back over to London RC

what are you doing over here in the mini section you couldnt handell these cars
Old 09-30-2008, 09:28 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

This summer I ran "S" grips all the way around with HPI medium/hard molded inserts, double stuffed in front and HPI medium molded inserts in the back with sway bars and it ran well in our parking lot series with almost no traction rolling. I ran an M03L. My friend ran the same set up on his M03M and has similar results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.