Search
Like Tree2Likes

HPI Cup Racer 1M

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That 510 is Sweet!

We have raced M-Chassis and 4wd's together for a few years now here in our local club. The 4wd's were limited to the same fdr as the M03 and performance was pretty comparable and the M-Chassis usually won.

The track area is 60'x60' and we run black or silver cans. black cans really suck now!

Anyone know why the HPI Japan site takes away the Cup Racer link on it's homepage if you click the english version
Old 03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Here's a question for someone with some time on their hands:

Is the proportion of these cars vs. the proportion of a standard 1/10 TC similar to that of a 1:1 240Z or 510 vs. a 1:1 vintage Mustang or Camaro?

What I'm getting at is would these look right on the track mixed in with the USVTA cars, the way you would see them at a 1:1 historic event?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by academygaz
Nope, the max wheelbase is 225mm, not long enough for 10th TC.
this can only mean one of two things. Either our regular TC's are disproportionally long, or HPI's off base.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sabin
this can only mean one of two things. Either our regular TC's are disproportionally long, or HPI's off base.
Means neither. This is a 1/10 "Mini". Close to scale for an original Mini Cooper, but everyone thinks it's fun to see these Japanese sports shells on the same platform too. Which are totally out of scale but look great.

1/10th TC's are out of scale too. Wheelbase is far too short to represent a 4-door saloon like a Mazda6. But bang on for a Nissan Skyline, which was the first "touring car" Tamiya released.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Here in Malaysia, we used to run(and still does in some events) a mixed of M-chassis brands together...

But being that only the Tamiyas are 2WD in its original standard state, other 4wd brands are required to be changed into 2wd cars by the means of removing the rear differential...

There were talks in forums where people says the 4WD cars converted to 2WD would not perform well but as far as i see it, IT WORKS!!!

No disadvantage what so ever as far as a spectator may judge... although I dont have and have never driven an m-chassis before but I believe running different brands mixed up together works...

Just set the rules to 2WD and allow every brands to run together... either that or the option to have 2 separate categories 2WD and 4WD..
Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Well, there are comparisons that can be drawn either way. A Tekin RS brushless ESC is smaller than most ESCs.

The point is that I don't see where it would be so difficult to go brushless. Lots of people run 17.5 in M-chassis cars without any problems.
Pete, the reason that works in M-chassis cars is the fixed gearing. The gearing in a 4wd Mini is adjustable and you could say run a 4.0 FDR or less with a 17.5. The FDR in the M-chassis is in the 5.5 range. If both cars were geared the same, they would run similar lap times.

This also is true for 17.5 and silvercans. You can run a much taller gear with a 17.5. A silvercan can't pull as tall a gear as a 17.5. Again, fixed gearing would level that out

I don't understand the too expensive to run a silvercan statement. I don't have a brushless system because they are just too much money for my pocket book. You can usually find a pretty good esc on e-bay for less than $50 and a silvercan is $20 full retail. That silvercan will last me 2 years or more. It will be reliable, trouble and hassle free.

By contrast I've seen a lot of brushless systems catch on fire, quit working etc. If you want to get the most out of some brushless systems you need a computer to program it. Brushless system $250, programming module $80, laptop $500. A $45 Red Dot is pretty cheap in comparison. Also by instituting a rpm limit you can eliminate those.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
Pete, the reason that works in M-chassis cars is the fixed gearing. The gearing in a 4wd Mini is adjustable and you could say run a 4.0 FDR or less with a 17.5. The FDR in the M-chassis is in the 5.5 range. If both cars were geared the same, they would run similar lap times.

This also is true for 17.5 and silvercans. You can run a much taller gear with a 17.5. A silvercan can't pull as tall a gear as a 17.5. Again, fixed gearing would level that out

I don't understand the too expensive to run a silvercan statement. I don't have a brushless system because they are just too much money for my pocket book. You can usually find a pretty good esc on e-bay for less than $50 and a silvercan is $20 full retail. That silvercan will last me 2 years or more. It will be reliable, trouble and hassle free.

By contrast I've seen a lot of brushless systems catch on fire, quit working etc. If you want to get the most out of some brushless systems you need a computer to program it. Brushless system $250, programming module $80, laptop $500. A $45 Red Dot is pretty cheap in comparison. Also by instituting a rpm limit you can eliminate those.
Hi Granpa-
I was referring to the M-Chassis only to relate that it was feasible to fit a brushless system in a small car -- not to comment on the effectiveness.

My statement about not being able to afford to run silver cans was sort of tongue in cheek. It was just a comment on the massive variation in performance possible between silver can motors via tuning. Invariably, many racers looking for fun, inexpensive racing get left out in the cold because they either don't know the tricks or can't/won't buy a $50 red dot.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Hi Granpa-
I was referring to the M-Chassis only to relate that it was feasible to fit a brushless system in a small car -- not to comment on the effectiveness.

My statement about not being able to afford to run silver cans was sort of tongue in cheek. It was just a comment on the massive variation in performance possible between silver can motors via tuning. Invariably, many racers looking for fun, inexpensive racing get left out in the cold because they either don't know the tricks or can't/won't buy a $50 red dot.
Glad your statement was tongue in cheek. The point I was trying to make is that you can run both 17.5 and silvercans together, but you must specify the gearing. ABC is selling a lot of their 4wd and HPI will be releasing theirs shortly. I have a feeling that these are really going to be popular and could revive on road racing. What killed on road was the $500 kits with an additional $2-300 in option parts.

These kits are $200 or less and if people don't have to buy a motor system that costs more than the car, it could get more people started. You could get a pretty good outfit together for a lot less than the cost of one of our latest TCs. And I'm talking about car, radio, li-po, charger, motor and esc. I'm an advocate of silver cans with a rpm limit to eliminate the "massaged" motors.

I understand your point on the RED DOT type motors, but a simple rpm standard will eliminate them. You don't have to tech every motor, just spot check the ones that look too fast. If done tactfully it needn't cause too much embarrassment and will get the message out very quickly.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

I agree in theory -- I just hope it will work in practice. I love silver cans and thing silver can speed is perfect for fun, close racing. Maybe I just read the TCS thread too much where there's non-stop drama over silver cans, RPM limit or not.

I believe HPI is also coming out with a front-drive mini platform as well to get into the mix.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

anyone have a release date for the states?

It's easy to spot out cars that are too fast in a silver can race. They sound fast and most of all, blow everyone away on the straights. The other racers will protest, and the inspection crew will audit the car. But if you have to use a red dot or an ancient 4 slot to win, you've got other issues.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I guess I just don't understand why these little cars need to go 40mph to be fun. Everything is always faster faster faster. I enjoy close racing much much more. And 19t would be silly in these. The ABC SPEC series is going to be running silver cans. The crazy motor power is what killed the Micro RS4s...it just get's silly. Locally we will be running silver cans and just having a good time racing...just like M03s. This isn't meant to be a sedan replacement.
We fully agree, why go blistering fast where the fun is in close racing where you can showcase your lines and accurecy skill, that is why we run spec silver can
Old 03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Not a big fan of all the Jap racer shells on these new minis. Would be nice to see something different. Like some British roadsters, MG, Triumphs, and Austins. Since I'm a big fan of Poniac right now, how about Fiero?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

A first generation MR2 would be nice, since it's a small enough scale to be a mini. ABC Hobby already has lots of bodies available. HPI will probably have more later.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Seems JPN shells will predominate. US shells already have the TA class.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Not a big fan of all the Jap racer shells on these new minis. Would be nice to see something different. Like some British roadsters, MG, Triumphs, and Austins. Since I'm a big fan of Poniac right now, how about Fiero?

OOOhhh...Triumph TR-6 convertible with a driver bust....I'll take mine in British Racing Green please....

-rocky b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.