Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

make sure you get the s limited version as the older s-spec kit doesn't have the dampers.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Awesome thanks for the help, think I'm going with the S-spec!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I would like to retain the stock parts for now so how would one shim this and resolve the slop? The slop appears to be between the ID of the bearing and the OD of the plastic bellcrank retainer that goes through the ID of the bearing. It seems like excessive tolerances. I've attached an image of what I'm referring to but I'm sure you already know. The play itself doesn't appear to be a vertical up/down play but I could certainly put shims atop the upper bearing to see if that helps.

Dave

Originally Posted by Granpa
The first upgrade for the M05 is to replace the stock plastic bits with metal. You can shim a lot of the play out, but it's hardly worth the effort cause the first hard hit will usually tweak the right bell crank.

The Tamiya ones are the best, but 3Racings set up is less than half the cost. I used the 3Racing ones for awhile, but they got pretty sloppy after awhile. It did not seem to degrade performance, but all those pieces flopping around just bugged me.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-steering.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
I would like to retain the stock parts for now so how would one shim this and resolve the slop? The slop appears to be between the ID of the bearing and the OD of the plastic bellcrank retainer that goes through the ID of the bearing. It seems like excessive tolerances. I've attached an image of what I'm referring to but I'm sure you already know. The play itself doesn't appear to be a vertical up/down play but I could certainly put shims atop the upper bearing to see if that helps.

Dave
Frankly, I wouldn't waste any time doing that. Now this is just a personal feeling and others may disagree, but the built in slop will save the steering linkage a bit. I used to shim by putting thin shims above the bearings, but was tweaking the bell cranks more often than those who didn't. For some reason, the slop doesn't affect the steering nearly as much as a tweak in the steering linkage. Also, if you shim the slop out, it makes it even more important that the linkage is perfect.

Hint: if the car is fine on one run and goes "crazy" the next, you've tweaked one of the bellcranks. Nine times out of ten, it's the right one.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dirt_McGirt
I'm looking to get my first mini to race at the Tamiya test track in Aliso Viejo CA (outdoor asphalt) and wondering M05 handles better out of the box? The S-spec chassis or the pro chassis?
Sorry, have to disagree with the proponents of the S spec. The Tamiya track is my home track and almost all have gone to a MWB or LWB car. The consensus there seems to be that the M03 is the better platform at this track.

Please note, my comments only are for the Tamiya track. I prefer the M05 MWB for most other venues, but the M03 is the weapon of choice for lower grip tracks.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Frankly, I wouldn't waste any time doing that. Now this is just a personal feeling and others may disagree, but the built in slop will save the steering linkage a bit. I used to shim by putting thin shims above the bearings, but was tweaking the bell cranks more often than those who didn't. For some reason, the slop doesn't affect the steering nearly as much as a tweak in the steering linkage. Also, if you shim the slop out, it makes it even more important that the linkage is perfect.

Hint: if the car is fine on one run and goes "crazy" the next, you've tweaked one of the bellcranks. Nine times out of ten, it's the right one.
Thanks. I'll l eave it as it is for now and see how it goes. I haven't driven it yet but I'm not used to this much steering play. What do you mena goes crazy?

Dave
Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry, have to disagree with the proponents of the S spec. The Tamiya track is my home track and almost all have gone to a MWB or LWB car. The consensus there seems to be that the M03 is the better platform at this track.

Please note, my comments only are for the Tamiya track. I prefer the M05 MWB for most other venues, but the M03 is the weapon of choice for lower grip tracks.
I am running a MWB config on my S-Spec - I just flipped the rear arms. You will not be able to run the LWB config using the S-Spec lower suspension holder, but the kit does come with the stock plastic piece if you choose to run the LWB (just not with the extra 1 degree of rear toe-in). Some people favor the 03 over the 05 over here as well. I had an 03-R too, I simply prefer the 05. In the hands of the right driver, both cars perform exceptionally well.

Last edited by alphaqgti; 05-11-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Running toe-out on the front of the car will do wonders for the accuracy of the steering and the straight-line running. I'm currently at 1mm spacing on the steering links.

I still run the Tamiya plastic parts in the steering apart from the posts that the bearings run on - I have changed those for Tamiya's optional alloy ones. I'm not that happy about the fit between the cranks and the rack using the step screws, but my car runs well enough and I have yet to bend any of those parts.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the getting the whip ready for racing.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Guys, Just wanted to say hi and post up a few pics of my 6 year old M-03 with full bearings, a Castle Sidewinder/4600 combo on an Orion 4000mAh 2s LiPo, Tamiya TC oil filled shocks, Traxxas 2.4 Link radio and Futaba 3305 Servo, and M-05 C's and knuckles with Traxxas rod ends (with ANZA balls) , Kimbrough servo saver, and Associated Ti threaded rods. The wheels are still Tamiya, but the current tires and body are both HPI. It's been built as a basher, but may see track time at the HTU I work for this season.

BTW, the LED's are E-Flite, the buckets are RPM, and the paint is Pactra Galactic Purple 2 stage flip flop paint for the main color with Model Master AMC Sterling Silver lacquer (which is lexan compatable! ) for the rest.

And here's the M-05 C and Knuckle swap with Traxxas rod ends and Kimbourgh servo saver.

Steering seems way tighter this way and it will probably need 2.5° rear carriers if I put it on our track. As is it should be fantastic for gymkhana type driving
Old 05-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by alphaqgti
I am running a MWB config on my S-Spec - I just flipped the rear arms. You will not be able to run the LWB config using the S-Spec lower suspension holder, but the kit does come with the stock plastic piece if you choose to run the LWB (just not with the extra 1 degree of rear toe-in). Some people favor the 03 over the 05 over here as well. I had an 03-R too, I simply prefer the 05. In the hands of the right driver, both cars perform exceptionally well.
How do you mount the shocks with the flipped rear arms? Do you just mount the camber links on the back of the tower and put the shock tower in front of that?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by silvalis
How do you mount the shocks with the flipped rear arms? Do you just mount the camber links on the back of the tower and put the shock tower in front of that?
Rear shock tower mount goes in the furthest back holes, camber links go in the front side of the shock tower mount, and the camber links attach on the rear uprights on the back side.

EDIT: found some other pics where you might see how it is set up a little better...

Left - SWB, Center - MWB (arms in SWB position/suspension holder in LWB position), Right - MWB (arms in LWB position/suspension holder in SWB position)

Last edited by alphaqgti; 05-12-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gene1219
the getting the whip ready for racing.

That is one neat looking little Bimmer Gene
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

The third pic I just posted is what's sitting under that shell
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Hmm... I thought you said you flipped the arms, not the suspension holder/block thing. I was thinking it would be setup like LWB, but with the suspension block still in the SWB position.

Yours looks setup as per the manual?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.