Search
Like Tree2Likes

Rc10ntc3

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by loosenut
Boomer,

What are your thoughts on Centax clutch? Thx.

G
I have one and am not using it. I prefer the stock clutch, with modified shoes or I'm thinking about getting the crazynut shoes. The centax is complex, has to be rebuilt or at least relubed on a constant basis and you really can't do that in-car. It's hard to get out while the engine is in the car, so you have to remove it to get the thrust bearing out and relube it. . .and you really should do that a LOT.

I found that if you drill a very small hole in the meat of the shoe, the stock ones work well. Scuff them up now and again (when you go through the engine and the car. . .) and they work fine. With the hole in them, they're slightly lighter and they engage just slightly later (less mass means less centripetal force means they spin outward slightly later engaging the bell later) when the engine is at higher speed - more snap. This, combined with the shorter ex manifold, has given me at least the impression of more power - my lap times DID get faster.

It's also MUCH cheaper this way. . .

The response from the crazynut shoes has been very good. I'm not running them at this time (although I'm running the head - THAT'S GREAT, btw), but those who are kept saying how incredible they are, how positive they engage, etc. It's nice how they work with the stock clutch system, either 2 or 3 shoe.

My motto is, if it ain't broke and it works great, don't spend hundreds getting something that just might work. I had to take the summer off (work) but I waaaay outqualified quite a few who were running a lot more hopups than I was (I run about 95% stock. . .) and expect to do the same this fall when I can start up again.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with Boomer on the Centax Clutch...the stock clutch setup is alot easier and less maintenance. Mine never failed me but it seemed like to much work to constantly clean and relube and set the right amount of gap and then reset your spring for your desired engagment ever time you race the car. And not to mention the Centax Clutch setup weighs more so you have more rotating mass to get spinning.
As far as the aluminum shoes I am not fond of. I have used them a bunch in 1/8 scale buggies and find that while the hookup is great they also present some problems. The shoes as they wear start getting aluminum buildup on the edges and will hangup against the sides of the clutchbell and cause inconsistent performance not to mention when that material breaks away and is slinging around the inside of the clutchbell getting trapped between the shoes and the bell. This can be cured by regualr maintenance and cleaning the edges off but you still have alot more excessive wear on the clutchbell itself. If you dont mind the maintenance then they are a good choice and will out perform the stock shoes.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

for u to try hooked on
Old 08-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Trinityracinnut
for u to try hooked on
Old 08-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

Boomer or Kreidel, have either of you tried the MIP clutch for the NTC3? I have heard that the MIP is even better than the 3 shoe clutch. I used the MIP on the old RS4 and I thought that it worked great with very little wear and maintenance. The adjustablilty made it very snappy when needed. Let me know.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Sorry, I have not.

Like I said, I run about 95% stock. The only parts I'm running that are not stock are the tie rods (all changed to Lunsford Titanium), the servo saver spring, TheFix (or a version thereof), modified ex manifold, RPM front bumper and f/r sway bars. Everything else is stock (okay, except for springs, but duh! )

I still find the car very very good, nearly stock. Of course, I'm thinking about getting "TheChassis" and if I do that, all bets are off - but until then, I'm very close to a full stock guy.

Last edited by Boomer; 08-18-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

My car is also 99% stock. I have no hop ups nor the need for them. The MIP clutch shoes would be considered a performance hop up I believe. The car wins races as is out of the team kit, with slight beefy modifications and no after market parts.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Exactly - my sentiments!

Although the RPM bumper is FAR superior to the crappy AE one. . .

I've also found "TheFix" to be a beneficial upgrade. . .

Post your thoughts on the MIP shoes, if you get them. . .

Last edited by Boomer; 08-18-2003 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

Will do.....I will drop one in before the next SWCS out at Texas Motor Speedway and let you know. I have seen someone else run one with a modified engine and it was very snappy off the corners. I believe he mentioned that it was not even trimmed. So, we will see.......
Old 08-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't you guys mean the RPM bumper?...
Old 08-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Ummmmmm, yeah! That's it!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by sook
Boomer or Kreidel, have either of you tried the MIP clutch for the NTC3? I have heard that the MIP is even better than the 3 shoe clutch. I used the MIP on the old RS4 and I thought that it worked great with very little wear and maintenance. The adjustablilty made it very snappy when needed. Let me know.
the problem is,the Rs4 clutch had 3 holes in it..so you could adjust it

the tc3 clutch does not..

I tried the MIP..its OK for a low powered engine....but my RB turbo runs alot better with the teflon shoes and HD springs...

it really launches with that set up..
Old 08-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by sook
I have it on my NTC3. Very smooth engagement from low-end to top-end. Unfortunately it's not as tuneable as the HIP version (only one mounting hole).
Old 08-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Tech Adept

Fellas, is there no way to trim the MIP shoes to your own personal setting.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

whats the servo saver spring?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.