Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by artoftatt2
In all honesty it is going to boil down to the fact that you cant beat the tried and true 103. F1 is finally making a comeback and I don't see this chassi being able to compete. I have a trg, f104 trg, f104,f109,exo 104 and 103 and a few other variations of the f1 and tried and true the easier the car is to set up the faster you can go. I've tested them all on several tracks with tons of variables and still have yet to see someone be able to knock down a 103 with a good pilot. Theirs no way. It's like putting a pan car up against a mini Cooper , the rear suspension and gearing of this f1 will keep it slow. Always live by the fact that it's easier to keep it simple stupid.

not really true,all the cars you are comparing are pan cars! my IRS chassis with a silver can is still quicker than the pan 104's even with my locked out gear ratio (3.25).i have the same amount of drivetrain loss as you do, all i have is the a pinion and dif thats the only gears. but like i keep saying throw a motor with some power into a pan chassis and the game is over.i for one and glad this car is coming because after everyone gets them i will have a class for my car that is fair because as of right now it is not. there is not a 103 that can keep up with me on asphalt foam and especially not rubber. fact is that you can drive and IRS car on a track that is not fully prepared , argue if you want but to fully get performance out of any pan car on foam the track must be prepared. want to test out this theory someone put a 17.5 3s into their 103/104 and drive it on asphalt( you can get a 3s batt for 10.00).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gQfVTzJJNQ

i own both types of cars so i think my opinion means a little something! its hard for someone to base an opinion when you havent driven an IRS car or even seen one on the track. i have a very quick f104 on rubbers the IRS is 1.8-2 seconds quicker per lap on foams its 1.1 seconds quicker and laptimes are in the low 20's on the same track in the video. when this car hits the market i think the game is going to change. i give the 103 props on a short carpet track but thats about it.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

i disagree with that...and i wont even get into the fact that f1 is finally getting on its feet again...i would hate to see it get pushed out again because of people putting too much money out to have the good (car) and take the fun out of it for the next generation....just like when 2wd buggy and truck got destroyed by 40 yr old men who had thousands to drop in their hobby, hard to keep kids interested when everything cost so much...but in all reality good luck on your works evolution is great, but if it is int broke don't fix it..
Old 08-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Tech Champion

There is good wisdom in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but there is also stagnation and progress is extremely limited if any. IRS cars don't necessarily have to be expensive...what makes TC expensive is the combination of a fully independent suspension and a 4wd drive train. Stick with a more traditional front end and only 2wd and costs are reduced quite a lot. Heck I used to own a 2wd Yokomo Silk Cut Jaguar that had a fully independent suspension and was less expensive than most of the pan cars I have owned.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Is the release date getting close?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Usually it will block double post sorry.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 08-02-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Kyosho had something similar to this in the early 90's and it never caught on. Its basically like a touring car with an F1 body on it. Good if you want to spend a heap of money on something that goes only slightly faster in the corners.

Mike
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I might be barking up the wrong tree here being a newbie to RC, but surely the IRS and gear box will allow you to put more horsepower onto the track surface without loosing traction and you will be able to corner with more grip.

How could this make a slower car?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
Kyosho had something similar to this in the early 90's and it never caught on. Its basically like a touring car with an F1 body on it. Good if you want to spend a heap of money on something that goes only slightly faster in the corners.

Mike
Kyosho's IRS car was a 2wd with a horrible gear box and really bad suspension

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
I might be barking up the wrong tree here being a newbie to RC, but surely the IRS and gear box will allow you to put more horsepower onto the track surface without loosing traction and you will be able to corner with more grip.

How could this make a slower car?
Gear box cars have a lot more drag in the transmission as they typically have 3 or more gears meshing vs only 2 in a pan car. Often the internal gear ratio of the gear box makes it difficult to get gearing as low as it can go for silver can through 13.5T motor racing. Also the suspension components are heavier which slow down the car. Theoretically it should have more rear grip than a pan car suspension...but if the car was pushing already adding more rear grip is only going to slow it down in the corners. If the car was loose to start with then it could be a good thing. Also in high grip situations like carpet racing the gain in corner speeds may or may not make up for the faster acceleration and higher top speeds that the pan car type F1s will have.

That said...I think an IRS car could be a really good thing for F1 if it is done right. If you can get the suspension to look "scale" and not add too much weight and keep the price reasonably close to the pan car style F1 cars then it might just catch on.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

It may not be for everybody. But it is interesting to others. If its a good car, word will spread, more will try it. Maybe not enough to start a big series, but enough to justify keeping it in production. If its a turd, it will disappear like the rest. There are probably just as many reasons people want to buy it as there are for people to not. The market won't lie. But I see no point in trying to dissuade people before its even released. Is buy it just to have, and to bash. Looks like a cool car, but no plans to race it. I had no plans to race my F109, but as soon as people saw it on the track, they tried it out and got there own. Now we have a class.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Default UF1 Series

This Sunday August 14th... UF1 Series race 6 will be at Monte Carlo ( Speedtech )

http://uf1series.com/schedule.html
Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Found more info about the FGX: http://os.3racing.hk/carkits_web.php?carkits_web_key=15

This is definitely on my "need to purchase" list...

Old 09-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is this car available yet? Looks very cool and scale realistic!

I'm very surprised that there is not more posting on this topic; I'm the only post so far today! I mean, this is the most innovative and totally new F1 car in a long while; there should be a lot more interest from us F1 fans, you would think!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

It looks like alot of work. A lot of tedious, mind numbing work that I for one can not wait to be forced to do on a nightly basis. Class or no class I want one, and I want more info. And an expected price. Just looks fun to tinker with.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Sweet! Due to the lack of f1 support in my area I'm liking this for a mod street weapon. Already had 17.5 boost in a 103. Thinking this could handle more! Release date? hope I don't have to wait for Santa!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

As I look at the pictures of the car now, I am wondering where the receiver and the esc are placed. I was thinking the left side of the lower chassis, but that would be in the way of the side-opening battery door; and the servo goes on the right side of the lower chassis. So where do the receiver and esc go?
They can't go on top of the chassis, as that might interfere with the body and the optional graphite chassis stiffener.

Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.