Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Losi XXX-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

Default Steve Wang?

how thick are the shock towers? I'm looking for some like the stock ones, but in graphite plates. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: ackermann

Originally posted by pro3racer
i'm still confused, okay, i think i have a regular xxx-s, manually made into a G+, i bought the car from a "almost" factory driver, very fast, best equipment. On my car, stock, there are three holes on the the bar that holdes the two steering systems together. Two holes are to hold the parts together, and one is to have a ball stud, connecting to the servo, is that it, i've done the factory mod and drilled a center hole, but the stud doesn't fit with a cup on it, can i flip it, or buy a new part. I want the better adjustments, and a good factory mod.
well there's why your confused... your asking about 1 mod and actually triing todo another...lol

the mod you are referring to I am usure of why they do it, but my best guess is to change the "lineri feel" of the steering throw because a longer link should (in theory) be less effected by the arching motion of the servo savers throw....
First you don't flip anythng, you must use a black (short) ballstud, and possibly still have to trim some material from the top of the rod end....

Now the flipped acherman position actually has to do wth the 2 bellcranks that the bar you modified is attached to....

Here is a pic of the speedtech aluminum counterpart of what we are talking about.....

http://www.sslorder.com/Shop/Images/.../imageSteering Bell Crank.gif

Now if you look at the bottom of the chassis where the 2 screws go to attach the posts the bellcranks ride on there are 2 sets of screw holes for the attachment, you will want to move the posts to the position that is farthest forward. Now from the top of the car you want to take the 2 bellcranks and actually flip them over so that the sides with the small holes are facing forwards... reattach all of the hardware and that bar you modified just as you would in the stock set-up.... there you go!!!
Old 08-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The reason for using the ball stud in the center of the track rod is for when you use the forward ackerman holes in the chassis. When you use the forward holes and the standard location for the tie rod off the servo saver it puts the rod at an angle and that will lead to a funny turning curve. You can do a couple things to fix this.....1 use a ball stud in the center of the track rod....2 move the ball stud further out on the servo saver so the tie rod stays inline or use a HPI servo saver(it moves the ball stud out with out using washers and is stronger too)....3 not suggested but you can move the servo forward as well. All this is done to try to keep the same relation of tie rod to the drag link as it is with the bell cranks in the stock locations.

And you can flip the bell cranks so the shorter end is forward...this will alter the ackerman even more. This is whats on most of the set up sheets when they say "Forward Fliped"...this means they are using the forward holes in the chassis and the shorter end is forward aka "fliped". And the silver ball stud is the shortest of the Losi ball studs.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what's the effect if i just move the steering bellcranks forward, but without flipping it?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:37 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys i can get a good deal on a slightly used xxxs(not graphite edition)

is the old xxxs(non graphite edition) still a viable racing car against the FTTC3 and such?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Crono,

The normal XXX-S is quite heavy to compete with the FTTC3, believe me! I had one

If you are interested I have an XXX-S graphite, titanium everything, Matt Francis hop ups, ceramic bearings, etc. etc. and will sell it at a reasonable price. If interested reply here or send me a private message.

Best regards, McLaren
Old 08-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Steve Wang?

Originally posted by Nightbreed
how thick are the shock towers? I'm looking for some like the stock ones, but in graphite plates. Thanks.
They are 3mm thick.

Steve Wang
Old 08-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

No offence Mcklaren, but I am not triing to sell a car.....

Yes the standard XXX-S can still compete, however it will be at a slight disadvantage due to weight, and the fact that there are several very important tuning options included in the G+ kit.... if you can gt the car for say around $150 with threaded shocks or $100 w/o the shocks the car will be worth it because you can upgrade to the graphite kit and come in under G+ kit costs.....

You know what they want for the car and you can find the value of the hop-ups on-line.... see if it seems worth it to you.....

Remember things like Yellow belts, and titanium turnbuckles can be replaced as the old parts wear out....

With that being said I am sure MClaren's car will be a great deal, but I would say he still wants a nice chunk of change for it..... However I am unsure of what he is looking for....
Old 08-13-2003, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

IMPACTPLAYR

Is the roll center adjustable on the xxxs?
(maybe that just one of the adjustments features you are talking about?)

also i hear that the stock xxxs comes with front shocks that are too long is that another weak point that should be resolved?

i race at club level nothing fancy!
Old 08-13-2003, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

The standard car doesn't have the roll center option, but it only costs $5 or so to purchase...
Yes it has long shocks in front, these only cause problems when you run low diameter foams..... If he has threaded shocks on it you can assume it has the shorter shock on the front.....
Old 08-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

IMPACTPLAYR

sorry to bug you with this

but could you tell me what are the important tuning options that i would need to make the car as tunable as the xxxs G+ car?

thanks
Old 08-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
The standard car doesn't have the roll center option, but it only costs $5 or so to purchase...
Yes it has long shocks in front, these only cause problems when you run low diameter foams..... If he has threaded shocks on it you can assume it has the shorter shock on the front.....
Why would the longer front shocks cause a problem with small tires,you need to make the overall shock length longer anyway.

Last edited by BrianJ; 08-13-2003 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by highwayman
what's the effect if i just move the steering bellcranks forward, but without flipping it?
This would reduce the overall ackerman in the steering.Both wheels will turn more om the same plane.This can be helpful when running a spool.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Hey brianJ, I noticed you're from illinois, what part? If you race where? I'm from Illinois too I haven't started racing yet but I will at the hobbytown in St. charles.

ZAch
Old 08-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by BrianJ
Why would the longer front shocks cause a problem with small tires,you need to make the overall shock length longer anyway.
Duh...sorry, I meant with larger diameter tires...LOL it places the piston way to high in the shock..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.