Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by InitialD
You are right. Somebody mentioned about it. I believe it was Michael Salven. It was actually to give a reason why the shaft on the 710 was not hollow. The weight reduction in terms of rotational mass is insignificant considering the fact that a hollow shaft would greatly reduce strenght. Rotational mass savings would be insignificant due to the mass being centered very closely to the rotational axis.

Yes you are right. No doubt that there is some savings in rotational mass as well as static mass. Don't know about being more resilient though. I know that the 2 speed shaft on the 705 is pretty susceptible to bending upon impact.

I guess !
Hey Dee, Thank you for this, I thought as much, but my mind having been clouded by the dark side slows me down a little.

Just to clarify, is Titanium stronger than steel for the normal shaft? is titanium brittle?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thank AMGracer,

BTW

which one you race more often / like better?

VoneRR Evolution
HPI R40

and.. please dont laugh

what does AMG, stand for?
and DTM .. id like to know that one too
Old 04-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by AMGRacer
I am not the master with the very irritated looking ring
That's a nice one AMG !
Old 04-01-2004, 09:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Profoxcg
how often do I have to make these changes?? between heats??

what happens if i don't? will my car handle poorly?
Like Julius mentioned previously, you should be OK. That was why he went on to test his car recently till the tires wore off without changing anything. See his recent post. He started with a slightly different setup and the main point was he tried to find a setup that would be the most neutral to all the changes that the car will undergo in a long main like ride height and tire wear. He said that because the car has a wide speet spot for setup, it did not change the car handling much from beginning to end.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by BaxterC
Just to clarify, is Titanium stronger than steel for the normal shaft? is titanium brittle?
There's this thing about being harder and tougher. Titanium would be harder (hence more brittle) but steel would be tougher (bends but does not break). Those are general characteristics BTW.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

thank AMGracer,

BTW

VoneRR Evolution
HPI R40

and.. please dont laugh

Right now my R40 is getting a good workout. Darn nice car but not without its faults I think for my driving style it handles better than the V1RR. Not faster outright but more stable.

AMG is the in house tuning department of Mercedes. AMG is derived from the original founders' initials: Hans-Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, as well as the town in Germany where Aufrecht was born, Grossaspach.

DTM is Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

That's a nice one AMG !
What actually is it man?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Default Slowly the 710 is getting there....

Well, I've cancelled my order for my 2106 Novamega engine with my LHS here in DE and am ordering it via those nice guys at The Border Now it can't be too long before I get the 710 onto the circuit.

Tomorrow, the 705 makes its first venture onto the circuit since October - everything rebuilt, re-lubed and reset.
In rebuilding the 705, I saw all the mistakes I made when I first built it last year. It was then my first RC and I thought I'd done a good job in building it - now I recognise that there were several things which I hadn't appreciated when I was building it.

I just hope my engine still starts!
Old 04-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

thank AMGracer,

BTW

VoneRR Evolution
HPI R40

and.. please dont laugh

AMG is a company that makes performance parts for Mercedes like the AMG E55. Its the same as M Power for BMW cars. They have license with the manufacturers to produce these cars for Mercedes to sell. In F1 all the safety and pace cars are all AMG Mercedes. DTM is a racing class for factory modified cars I believe. They usually look like stock cars but much wider and faster.
Tech Fanatic

There's this thing about being harder and tougher. Titanium would be harder (hence more brittle) but steel would be tougher (bends but does not break). Those are general characteristics BTW.
Correct and not correct.

It depends what type of Ti you use. Most types of Ti are softer than Steel (6AL-4V for a starter which is the most common Ti used in R/C cars). The problem is using the Ti correctly. For instance, you cant use Ti outdrives with steel pin dogbones as these will just cut through the Ti outdrives in a matter of runs. yet you can use the steel outdrives and use Ti dogbones without any great deal of wear over a full year.

You then have to take into consideration whether the steel or Ti has been temp treated. This also alters the material making it more or less brittle than the next.
Tech Prophet

What actually is it man?
The evil eye !
Old 04-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Slowly the 710 is getting there....

Originally posted by markp27
Well, I've cancelled my order for my 2106 Novamega engine with my LHS here in DE and am ordering it via those nice guys at The Border Now it can't be too long before I get the 710 onto the circuit.
Finally ! Ummm, since you are ordering from the Border, why didn't you itch for the new JP FX12 engine?
Old 04-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
You then have to take into consideration whether the steel or Ti has been temp treated. This also alters the material making it more or less brittle than the next.
Thanks for the information and point taken. Like I mention, those are general characteristics of the materials BTW.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Right now my R40 is getting a good workout. Darn nice car but not without its faults I think for my driving style it handles better than the V1RR. Not faster outright but more stable.

AMG is the in house tuning department of Mercedes. AMG is derived from the original founders' initials: Hans-Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, as well as the town in Germany where Aufrecht was born, Grossaspach.

DTM is Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters.
Or Deutsche Tourenwagenmeisterschaft as InitialD speaks such good German
Old 04-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Slowly the 710 is getting there....

Finally ! Ummm, since you are ordering from the Border, why didn't you itch for the new JP FX12 engine?
Didn't consider it - what's the deal on it?

I wanted to go for a Novamega due to the avalability of spares at my LHS - don't think he has JP engines.

How's your bodyshell coming along? It's Friday!!! Show us the pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.