Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi JRXS

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

As much as I love Losi nothing will ever be faster then a shaft driven car.....Losi has gone from one belt to 2. I cant see that helping in any way...just my .02
Old 12-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by terapin
As much as I love Losi nothing will ever be faster then a shaft driven car.....Losi has gone from one belt to 2. I cant see that helping in any way...just my .02
At the risk of starting ANOTHER shaft vs belt argument I just have to respond to this post.

1. Losi's single belt transmission is poorly designed. There are much better ways to do it, yet they chose what we see on the XXXS. Any decent 2-belt drivetrain will actually be more efficient than this so Losi were correct to change.

2. Belt drive transmissions become more efficient as speed increases, whereas shaft drives are the opposite. So on any decent size track with a mod motor, the JRX-S will be operating at it's maximum efficiency - the shafties will not be

It might be a little different in Stock, but remember the JRX-S has other features which will offset that!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:05 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't even see where the argument would come into play. All you have to do is look at the latest win sheets from just about everywhere in the world.

Belt driven cars, somehow despite their 'horrible' inferiority compared to shafts, are winning more often. Period.

When I look at the Orion news update, and I see who and what is winning around the world, the same names keep appearing.

-Schumacher (2 belt)
-Xray (2 belt)
-Tamiya (2 belt)
-HPI (shaft)-and only then when Hara is driving
-HPI (3 belt)-in nitro

Thats four outta five cars that are winning most these days that are belt systems.

I don't have the technical background to argue the physics of what works best and when. But I can read the race results. And the race results tell me that whether its 1 belt, 2 belt, 3 belt or shaft. It still comes back to good set up and good driving, and NOT the oh so popular 'how many seconds do your wheels spin' test.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by James Nguyen
Different front dogbone driveshafts to achieve different steering characteristics. Much like the rear of the offroad buggies and trucks. Like how you use cvds on some surfaces and dogbone driveshafts on other types of tracks. Same thing but for the front of the sedan.
Hi James,

Thanks for that insight...Hmmmmm, I cannot think of a characteric that would make me revert back to the older driveshaft technology after installing the new ones. But, I am sure you can enlighten me at the track tonight...Coming?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by terapin
Hmmmmm....ODD....Tamiya's Shaft drive does not do as good at the track like there there belt drive.....ODD.....Funny things is the XXX-S when built right is much more free than most shaft drives iv seen..hmmmmm.....odd.

Last edited by Gearhead3; 12-01-2004 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by Robz; 12-15-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JRX-S Bill
Hi James,

Thanks for that insight...Hmmmmm, I cannot think of a characteric that would make me revert back to the older driveshaft technology after installing the new ones. But, I am sure you can enlighten me at the track tonight...Coming?
Probably not coming tonight, I have a meeting at work tonight.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

All I have to say is this car looks awesome, I've never had a belt driven car, but when the jrxs comes out i am switching. To me, the way the drive train is configured is more important than just whether it is belt of shaft, either one can be more or less efficient than the other.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Mal

Funny how a lot of people with no engineering degree can critique these cars and make their opinions sound like fact.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Tht's not the funny part... the funny part is how a lot of people that have not even seen the car in person let alone run the car can critique these cars and make their opinions based on photos.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by Robz; 12-15-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Robz
Well, im doing the last year of a masters Degree in Engineering ...Sorry Guys
from me... no need to apologize What you say may be true, but I think that I'd still like to try it out and see if it works for me. good luck with finishing your masters.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Robz
Well, im doing the last year of a masters Degree in Engineering in UK AND ive seen the car in the flesh alot. I think the arms are FAR too short, when you see how short all links are you will understand. This makes for an extremely sensitive to setup car. Very small changes are going to make big differences. I think the most important thing about car design is suspension geometry. and low CofG. Losi have gone about it the wrong way by placing cells and starting with that.

Sorry Guys
that's interesting. It's nice to know some are actually schooled on such things and post here.

But what about the balance factor? Having the batteries on one side of the car or the other throws off the balance before you even start applying the suspension geometry and layout. I think that is what losi is going for here. All the major weight of the car down the center, and working around that. (as you stated)

So... given your knowledge of engineering....what car would you say has the best overall layout, susp geometry, and CG? Of all the cars currently on the market, or soon to be on the market? (I'm not asking to be a smart**s or anything like that, I'd be interested to hear what your informed opinion is... )
Old 12-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well it seems to be doing pretty good for a car thats got it all wrong.

To me, the battery down the center seems to be THE best method for placement. Again I refer to my experience with my KX-1 and the time I've seen people doing very well with HPI Pro 3's in the past. The ballance of those cars is wonderful. You never get the feeling of the car steering better to one side or the other. And you don't spend all your time sticking weights to one side just to get it balanced.

The same goes for saddle packs. But somewhere along the line, racers got too lazy to want to bother with saddle packs.

I think the average racer spends WAAAAYYYY too much time worrying about the car designs. These companies have teams of engineers working with THE best CAD software to come up with these things. So why question it before you even try it. And if there are that many doubts in someone's mind about a design, there are plenty of others to choose from.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by Robz; 12-15-2004 at 09:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.