Wiki Posts
Search

HPI's new F1

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Wow

No love for the red headed stepchild of F1. Been trying to find a dealer that can get the HPI Type C wings into the USA. Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dynamic_e
Just picked up a F10 with exotek chassis and a bunch of Yeah Racing orange bits on it and it's pretty slick looking. Only thing is it's terrible on the rug. Any ideas for a baseline? I had it with kit fronts and soft rears, but after I got home, picked up a set of soft fronts. I would love to run foams, but throwing another $100+ at this car is out of the budget(just bought a new 3racing f109 as well) Besides, this is my sons car, and the durability of rubber tires is a great appeal to me.

Any baseline setups for medium bite carpet on the HPI soft front and rear rubbers?
What is it doing wrong on track?
Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk
Finally got around to putting my F10 together, quite happy with the results. i think it looks pretty good.
I'm running an Epic Duo2 21.5
Was planning on running it later this week at the track, unfortunately when I took my S compound tires out of the package I noticed there was a mold defect in the sidewall of one of the rears and it has a hole in it. I'll have to give HPI a call tomorrow, and of course I can't find anybody with rear S compounds in stock Minor setback I suppose.
I fitted the Type C front and rear wings, and I'm running the stock body off of my F104 for now (thats why there are two holes drilled in the nose) but I have a new stock F104 body on order.
Indeed- looks really nice!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Ok

Car is exotek chassis(fatty oring under the back bolt of the t-bar as per instructions), hpi softs front and rear, orange middle shock spring

Problem is lack of steering, so I first lightened the front springs from .04 to .02s. Still no front traction, so then I put a few oz of weight on the front nose, thinking it was lack of weight. Each time I cleaned the tires and sauced them.

A pan car guy reccomended putting goo in the center dampener, so I put in spedmerchant medium tube goop on the top and bottom disk. Car was a little more respnsive and steering started to come up, but then when taking corners at speed, rear end of the car would shudder(maybe the tires trying to slip on the carpet) and often when letting off the juice would spin out. Car has factory t-plate. Another pan car guy reccomended going up in center spring tension to speed up weight transfer. I gave up for the night and just ran my good ole reliable F103 w foams.

I still want to figure out this car. I am running on high traction carpet, silvercan, mini lipo etc.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just picked up a F10 with exotek chassis and a bunch of Yeah Racing orange bits on it and it's pretty slick looking. Only thing is it's terrible on the rug. Any ideas for a baseline? I had it with kit fronts and soft rears, but after I got home, picked up a set of soft fronts. I would love to run foams, but throwing another $100+ at this car is out of the budget(just bought a new 3racing f109 as well) Besides, this is my sons car, and the durability of rubber tires is a great appeal to me.

Any baseline setups for medium bite carpet on the HPI soft front and rear rubbers?
I bought mine and went to nitro foams to start....it was better..then I took an xray TC shock and put it in to replace the friction thing it came with. again it got better. tweek screw added...got better. then the best thing I did...the game changer.....I went to 1-10th pan car foams.... the pan car axle is a direct fit and AE ride hieght adjusters work and the AE T3 truck inline axles and blocks in the front... corner speed is incredible...I just need a metal motor mount and maybe an Exotek chassis....
Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

I've alwasy been a bit unsure of pan wheels on F1's. I have seen it done a few times and just think that if you're going to run F1, stick with the same (or similar) dimensions to other F1's. Cars like the Corally etc have a MAJOR advantage with being able to use pan wheels, and I personally think it makes the playing field un-even. People can't run bigger wheels in any other RC class, same goes for most motorsport in general.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

From what I gather...this class was popular about a decade ago.and the cars were modded 1-10th cars. At least that was the story I got from the guys at the Indoor Champs in Cleveland. I ran a F1-09 and there was a F104 pro and another 109 in the field against older pan car type F1's and 1 lone HPI ..(it had pan car tires) the race was between the older cars....they are just way faster thru the corners.....the Hpi was close and the 104 was after he converted it to pan car tires.....I sorta like the way it looks too....it's all in the rules for what you can do...
Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default pancar tires on F1 cars

Mine was the lone HPI F-1 at the Indoor Champs. And yes, it had 1/10th scale pancar tires on it. It's also true that my HPI car, even with it's WGT tires was not quite the equal of the 3 pancar conversions that were in attendence. My reasons for putting pancar wheels on my HPI F1 car were:

A) I thought about getting a Corally F1 and making life easy on myself. But doing that just didn't quite "feel" right since most would agree that the Corally is a chassis with a distinct performance advantage over any traditional F1 car. In the interest of "fairness" I chose a more traditional (and inexpensive) F1 platform. But the HPI comes set up only for rubber tires, and Cleveland was a foam tire race. Hmmmm, what to do?
B) I quickly found that pancar tires are easy to obtain. F1 tires are hard to find, and the selection of compounds is limited.
C) WGT tires are just over half the cost of F1 specific mounted foamies. That savings a big deal to a cheap guy such as myself.
D) pancar tires are available in a variety of compounds that are good for tuning.
E) I needed to convert the F1 car to run with foams somehow, and it turned out to be less expensive to get a WGT axle than to get a specific foam tire F1 axle and diff from HPI.
F) I thought that the car would work better on high grip surfaces with low profile tires anyway.

Since Cleveland, I've found that most clubs tend to frown on the use of pancar tires on the F1 cars. Bummer. Now I've got a decent handling cheap F1 car with no place to run it. I find this odd considering that most of the more competitive F1 pilots are still using F103 cars. Sadly, those are no longer available. If the F104's were competitive, I'd get one and run it. But, judging from what I've seen at every venue where I've been, the faster "traditional" F1 cars are all F103's. It does strike me as curious that same guys who frown on others running a cheap and available car, enjoy the performance advantage of still running discontinued cars that cannot be had at any price. If there's to be an online discussion of fairness in the F1 arena, where's the fairness in that? If pancar tires are to be disallowed in the F1 club racing arena, perhaps unavailable cars should also be disallowed.

Just food for thought from an F1 outsider who's looking in.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Car is exotek chassis(fatty oring under the back bolt of the t-bar as per instructions), hpi softs front and rear, orange middle shock spring

Problem is lack of steering, so I first lightened the front springs from .04 to .02s. Still no front traction, so then I put a few oz of weight on the front nose, thinking it was lack of weight. Each time I cleaned the tires and sauced them.

A pan car guy reccomended putting goo in the center dampener, so I put in spedmerchant medium tube goop on the top and bottom disk. Car was a little more respnsive and steering started to come up, but then when taking corners at speed, rear end of the car would shudder(maybe the tires trying to slip on the carpet) and often when letting off the juice would spin out. Car has factory t-plate. Another pan car guy reccomended going up in center spring tension to speed up weight transfer. I gave up for the night and just ran my good ole reliable F103 w foams.

I still want to figure out this car. I am running on high traction carpet, silvercan, mini lipo etc.
No contest to compare an F1 on foam vs F1 on rubbers. Number one comment on the HPI tires is that the car becomes too hooked up- simply because the HPI front 'softs' just do not generate enough front bite on high grip tracks. Great for outdoor low grip tracks for sure.

More Steering- A few more steps you can try is to move the steering link IN on the knuckles and OUT on the steering rack. Take out the 2mm spacers on the front upper inner arms. Add 2-3mm of wheel spacers to the rear wheels (make the rear width wider).
Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vafactor
Mine was the lone HPI F-1 at the Indoor Champs. And yes, it had 1/10th scale pancar tires on it. It's also true that my HPI car, even with it's WGT tires was not quite the equal of the 3 pancar conversions that were in attendence. My reasons for putting pancar wheels on my HPI F1 car were:

A) I thought about getting a Corally F1 and making life easy on myself. But doing that just didn't quite "feel" right since most would agree that the Corally is a chassis with a distinct performance advantage over any traditional F1 car. In the interest of "fairness" I chose a more traditional (and inexpensive) F1 platform. But the HPI comes set up only for rubber tires, and Cleveland was a foam tire race. Hmmmm, what to do?
B) I quickly found that pancar tires are easy to obtain. F1 tires are hard to find, and the selection of compounds is limited.
C) WGT tires are just over half the cost of F1 specific mounted foamies. That savings a big deal to a cheap guy such as myself.
D) pancar tires are available in a variety of compounds that are good for tuning.
E) I needed to convert the F1 car to run with foams somehow, and it turned out to be less expensive to get a WGT axle than to get a specific foam tire F1 axle and diff from HPI.
F) I thought that the car would work better on high grip surfaces with low profile tires anyway.

Since Cleveland, I've found that most clubs tend to frown on the use of pancar tires on the F1 cars. Bummer. Now I've got a decent handling cheap F1 car with no place to run it. I find this odd considering that most of the more competitive F1 pilots are still using F103 cars. Sadly, those are no longer available. If the F104's were competitive, I'd get one and run it. But, judging from what I've seen at every venue where I've been, the faster "traditional" F1 cars are all F103's. It does strike me as curious that same guys who frown on others running a cheap and available car, enjoy the performance advantage of still running discontinued cars that cannot be had at any price. If there's to be an online discussion of fairness in the F1 arena, where's the fairness in that? If pancar tires are to be disallowed in the F1 club racing arena, perhaps unavailable cars should also be disallowed.

All good points worth further discussion.
In our local F1 series the rules simply state F1 wheels only. What you put on the wheels is open as long as it fits into rubber or foam classes but it obviously locks out the pan cars with pan car wheels.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Did you get the instruction sheet with that Exotek chassis? It has some setup suggestions you can incorporate while building it. I'd check to see if the original owner built the car with those suggestions.

IIRC, it had something to do with incorporating spacers here and there to adjust t-plate geometry and maybe the front links.

I drove mine a few times on concrete with HPI Soft tires all the way around. Car was a dream with steering to spare.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

...Since Cleveland, I've found that most clubs tend to frown on the use of pancar tires on the F1 cars. Bummer. Now I've got a decent handling cheap F1 car with no place to run it. I find this odd considering that most of the more competitive F1 pilots are still using F103 cars. Sadly, those are no longer available. If the F104's were competitive, I'd get one and run it. But, judging from what I've seen at every venue where I've been, the faster "traditional" F1 cars are all F103's. It does strike me as curious that same guys who frown on others running a cheap and available car, enjoy the performance advantage of still running discontinued cars that cannot be had at any price. If there's to be an online discussion of fairness in the F1 arena, where's the fairness in that? If pancar tires are to be disallowed in the F1 club racing arena, perhaps unavailable cars should also be disallowed....
Agreed. At Horsham, the F104W type of cars are starting to win over the traditional F103 cars. In my opinion, it's the 104 style battery layout that is making the difference on that high-bite carpet. It would seem fair to allow any tire/rim up to the traditional F103/104W width, even if that means cutting off a few mm from WGT tires/rims. We used to do that back in the day when RC10s were used for paved oval racing since pancar tires were so readily available and the aftermarket hadn't caught up with the concept of using an off-road buggy on-road.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

103's can still be had. You just have to search for them and parts are still available. 104W is definitly a great handling car too.
My quam is link vs t-plate. My opinion on link cars is you might as well run WGT. Formula 1 is not supposed to be a crazy fast class. I think?
Old 12-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

F103s are a dime a dozen on ebay, and option parts are plentiful.

That being said, F104W cars are close to the same thing.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Speaking of 103's
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84191

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.