Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACADEMY STR4 PRO2

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

HEY ATR4TIGERS!

Nope!! Nothing from the hpi. You can use its shocks, gearing, rods, and a few other misc parts. The car is a bit longer than the STR as well. I have a hara version with the twister esc that some guys gave me before I moved to Missouri from Florida that everyone signed. It does at first glance but more so just the color purple off of the parts. The dif housing is different as well as the chassis top shelf even though it looks the same or close to the older style like you have str 4 pro. Sorry....I at first when I came aboard as a driver thought he same. If I get a chance, I drop the two side by side and shoot a pic for ya.. Then you'll see the difference but still sims to the cars as well.

As for parts that will work and that i use?? i just moved over my purple colored upper rods and steering rods from the HPI pro4 to the str recently. Nothing special about them just the glamour i suppose......I am also running and just switched the steering over from a TRF to my academy car as well. I now got about 20% more steering out of it. I only used the plate that connects the two arm rods instead of the rod itself from the str kit. Just in case if I ever was to need more steering. I also have a small hole drilled in my one way front dif case if I ever need to adjust it due to tight or loose tracks. Ive used this already 4-5 times. It does enhance the car. Hummm, what else..OH! I also have spacers behind the upper shock mounts to align the shocks better. They are off just a hair. I also installed alloy balls recently for the car off a kit on line. I used them for shocks and other. The shocks are so much smoother now. Next?? 2 sway bars soon and graphite parts.....

Team Academy / MRC / Team1rc.com
B'
Old 07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Academy
Small world then heavy, There probably neighbors<LOL>.. Sorry to hear the track is 700 miles away. WOW! I am like 20 minutes then 30 minutes then 3 hours form all the on road tracks here. I am so lucky for now till something changes and everything closes up as it normally does every 8 years or so here in the states. Its mostly due to politics and smac talk.

The track pictured?? is that the tile carpet track?? looks like a fun track to drive!

OH! those motors i got from Brian at team1rc?? I drove the 27t motor the other day at the track,,,,it was smoken bad and outdid most of the stockers there. Now keep in mind no team cars were there but still!! Their motors will not let you down and you have to check out the dyno sheets they send as well! Very Sweet!
I just live "near" Ipswich - "near" in Australian terminology means about 20kms away so unlikely they would be my neighbours.
While the carpet track is a long way away we do have plenty of racing opportunities and I usually get to race about once or twice every week, there are 5 onroad tracks (3 outdoor and 2 indoor) tracks within 40 minutes and 3 offroad tracks within 40 minutes so no worries finding a place to race.

I usually use Surge stock motors and thye have been very good for us, performancercracing is sending me one of the team1rc motors to try so we'll see how it goes.

Here's the address with photo's of the Canberra Carpet track. They have a big State Title meet on there this weekend but I am not sure of teh names of teh guys driving Academy.

Last edited by heavy; 07-11-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Small world then heavy, There probably neighbors<LOL>.. Sorry to hear the track is 700 miles away. WOW! I am like 20 minutes then 30 minutes then 3 hours form all the on road tracks here. I am so lucky for now till something changes and everything closes up as it normally does every 8 years or so here in the states. Its mostly due to politics and smac talk.

The track pictured?? is that the tile carpet track?? looks like a fun track to drive!

OH! those motors i got from Brian at team1rc?? I drove the 27t motor the other day at the track,,,,it was smoken bad and outdid most of the stockers there. Now keep in mind no team cars were there but still!! Their motors will not let you down and you have to check out the dyno sheets they send as well! Very Sweet!
Where do you race in missouri?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

Can you post up pics of the TRF steering mod?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I also have a small hole drilled in my one way front dif case if I ever need to adjust it due to tight or loose tracks. Ive used this already 4-5 times. It does enhance the car.

B'
Last night I had my STR4 going really well and in the last race it was very sluggish out of teh turns and I thought I had run my motor one too many runs between retrues or something like that and it also spun out a couple of times so I thought maybe a broken CVD or something like that. On closer inspection after the race I found that the torque limiting adjustment on the front Oneway had come really loose so I basically wasn't getting any front drive. Have you had this problem and if so how do you stop it coming loose ?

heavy
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Tech Regular

A touch of threadlock will fill the thread out... just make sure it has no excess .
Running the front oneway very tight is my personal opinion.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

Im doing Bobs suggestion about the access hole for the oneway adjustment,
Have you tried the standard diff up front or treied to build a slipper spool?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

No haven't tried teh diff yet - built one ready to go - might try it this weekend. Haven't built teh spool yet - waiting on teh heavy duty diff outdrives for that. A spool would hammer the standard diff outdrives.

I run the front oneway torque setting very tight as well, I used some light thread lock on it today when I tightened it, should be good to go now.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Heavy, I am going to get some picts up I hope soon for all of ya to see. I drilled that small hole on the top dif case to tighten or loosen the front oneway. I wll say, I am glad however i did not lock it up with anything. I have found thus far if you go from a tight track to a loose style track? Making that little adjustment on the front oneway?? truely helps. I had it suggested by someone in Cali who raced with spools before they got popular. i spoke with him asap when I got my sponorship with academy. He gave me that advice and I am now so greatfull that I can adjust it or fine tune it for each track. The hole is ntohing large and barely noticable. Mine is about a 1/8 inch just enough and plus some so I can slip my hex / ball wrench into the case and into the grub / set screws. I aligned and marked my holes before however I assembled the car. I also polished all my susp rod, reamed my arms and also made the shock hole a bit larger but not much for free travel and less bind. That to helped in the corners. To me the infield is what makes you win as there is and always will be more of it....

B'

70-76 stock gear with a 23-26 or there abouts?? whats ya running now heavy??
Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

Congratulations to Adam Gustafson of Team Academy making 2nd place in stock at the ACT Tiles within seconds of 1st in his new STR4 Pro2.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Tech Regular

Also a congratulations for David Guyatt(aka Heavy) for coming 10th at the QLD Winter Champs with a stock out of box STR4 Pro2.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

CONGRAT'S ALL TO THE EXCELLENT DRIVING!!! Way to go! I am so stoked! Glad to hear the results. Hey heavy heres that dif mod i did below, if ya look close to the pic, You'll see the insert that is white with a small lip. Also you can see the set / grub screws easy to acess as well.

Congrats again guys!!!! and girls if any<LOL>..
Old 07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default steve???

Hey steve, I am trying to get over to KS Fastlanes to run with Randy and them but havent so far. Been testing and working on the new ride. I am pretty much dialed. Need to reduce a little weight but nothing serious with some screws and rods I found. I am starting up with Chris in Roxana IL and hitting some others in Central IL as well. I will also be in Ohio for the nationals there. Where ya at steve???? and what ya driving, I see your a reg tech here<smile>in the forums.

B'
Old 07-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Hey steve, I am trying to get over to KS Fastlanes to run with Randy and them but havent so far. Been testing and working on the new ride. I am pretty much dialed. Need to reduce a little weight but nothing serious with some screws and rods I found. I am starting up with Chris in Roxana IL and hitting some others in Central IL as well. I will also be in Ohio for the nationals there. Where ya at steve???? and what ya driving, I see your a reg tech here<smile>in the forums.

B'
I live in tulsa,ok i race at Acr carpet track you can ck it out at www.okrcracers.com,i currently run a rdx,if you get a chance the 1st weekend in august there is a race in memphis,tn. Beat the heat lots of fun good groug of guys,let me know when you go to fastlane i can make that trip.

Steve eaves
Old 07-16-2006, 01:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

CONGRAT'S ALL TO THE EXCELLENT DRIVING!!! Way to go! I am so stoked! Glad to hear the results. Hey heavy heres that dif mod i did below, if ya look close to the pic, You'll see the insert that is white with a small lip. Also you can see the set / grub screws easy to acess as well.

Congrats again guys!!!! and girls if any<LOL>..
Sounds good mate but can't quite see it - looks like you forgot to enclose the pic.

Congrats Adam - great work at the ACT Titles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.