Wiki Posts
Search

BMI's DB12R

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by protc3
Dont worry about it buddy. I took care of it already.
Thank you Jason, I get back to work last Tuesday and its 14-14-12-10 hour work days... I'm just starting to get caught up.....
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

Does the DB12rr come with a pod thats balenced for brushless or brushed? If its balenced for brushless you just shim the brushed motor right?

I'm going to run brushed stock until I use up my old collection of motors then switch to 17.5 brushless.

Nice looking car.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The pod is designed to be balanced for brushless. You can run brushed motors also and IRS has a motor plate shim for using brushed motors.

Brushless and brushed motors fit into the pod with ease and with no disassembly. If your not carful, either motor will fall out of the pod.

Thanks for the kind words about our car. We really are proud of it.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

The pod is designed to be balanced for brushless. You can run brushed motors also and IRS has a motor plate shim for using brushed motors.

Brushless and brushed motors fit into the pod with ease and with no disassembly. If your not carful, either motor will fall out of the pod.

Thanks for the kind words about our car. We really are proud of it.
You got mail.....
Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks thats all I needed. I just found the info for the rr. Looks like you fixed everything on the r car. I was looking at simple t-bar cars to jump into 12th scale with, but selecting t-bars doesn't seem simple at all. I like the ability the 12rr has to adjust roll and bump independantly and still roll like a t-bar car. Nice servo mount slots to, I stink at drilling servo mount holes.

The batteries look like a tight fit. I might just make the packs with a wire in the middle like a saddle pack to get them in and out. Someone recommended I get 2-3 packs so I can get enough track time.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Thanks thats all I needed. I just found the info for the rr. Looks like you fixed everything on the r car. I was looking at simple t-bar cars to jump into 12th scale with, but selecting t-bars doesn't seem simple at all. I like the ability the 12rr has to adjust roll and bump independantly and still roll like a t-bar car. Nice servo mount slots to, I stink at drilling servo mount holes.

The batteries look like a tight fit. I might just make the packs with a wire in the middle like a saddle pack to get them in and out. Someone recommended I get 2-3 packs so I can get enough track time.
You would be the first person I know of that would put a wire in the middle..... Ther are about 15-20 BMI racers in the DC area and we all use the straight 4 cell assemby....
Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Zerodefect

Its not as tight as it looks. This is the most adjustable 1/12th car on the market. With other cars you will need to change out springs and T plates to adjust spring tension. Eache flex plate has 6 different spring rate options with no changed parts. You will find it to also be the most durable and tweak free also. If you need any help just let me know.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:33 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You do not need that much steering throw. You will be fine setting it up the way you have it. Take a pic and post it for me when you can so i can see and make sure i am understanding exactly what you are saying.
the outside arm clears but the inside arm catches the head of the upper pin. if i raise the servo to the top of the mount then i just need to raise the ball on the steering arm to reduce bump steer? or do you run it like this? here is what i was describing.

BMI's DB12R-a1a.jpg

BMI's DB12R-a2a.jpg

Last edited by avs; 02-08-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: missing text
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Lord

That is more than enogh steering throw. If you want more you can use the rear holes in the servo mount where it mounts to the chassis and run the ballstuds on the back of the servo saver. This will make the turnbuckles dead straight when looking down from the top of the car.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
avs
Tech Master

That is more than enogh steering throw. If you want more you can use the rear holes in the servo mount where it mounts to the chassis and run the ballstuds on the back of the servo saver. This will make the turnbuckles dead straight when looking down from the top of the car.
ok thanks i will run it as is.

moving on i have a couple more (hopefully last) assembly questions.

1)
the instructions indicate that setting the 'overall shock length' to 66mm should provide 1.5mm droop. if i install the front shock support 1 hole fwd from the most aft position (see pic below) then i need to make the shock length 69mm (center to center of ball cups) to get 0.0 droop.

if i move the fwd shock support to most aft location then i get shock length to droop setttings more like the instrctions but then it looks like there is a battery clearance problem.

so is 69mm the right length?(use a longer ball cup) or should i raise (shim) the ball stud on the front mount?

2)
also regarding battery packs, it looks like the battery packs are one piece, (ie not saddle packs with a center jumper wire.

if so, then is it std practice to remove the shock to get batteries in and out?

BMI's DB12R-a4a.jpg

thanks again for your patience and attention.

Last edited by avs; 02-08-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by avs
ok thanks i will run it as is.

moving on i have a couple more (hopefully last) assembly questions.

1)
the instructions indicate that setting the 'overall shock length' to 66mm should provide 1.5mm droop. if i install the front shock support 1 hole fwd from the most aft position (see pic below) then i need to make the shock length 69mm (center to center of ball cups) to get 0.0 droop.

if i move the fwd shock support to most aft location then i get shock length to droop setttings more like the instrctions but then it looks like there is a battery clearance problem.

so is 69mm the right length?(use a longer ball cup) or should i raise (shim) the ball stud on the front mount?

2)
also regarding battery packs, it looks like the battery packs are one piece, (ie not saddle packs with a center jumper wire.

if so, then is it std practice to remove the shock to get batteries in and out?

Attachment 415765

thanks again for your patience and attention.
the 66mm setting is for the original shock. you are running the new silva bladder shock which is longer. so basically wherever hole you chose according to your setup you will just need to adjust the ball cups on the shock to get 1.5mm of droop. running the shock in the hole farthest back will give you the most steering.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

and yes we always pop off the shock to remove the battery. just need to remove it on the top plate side
Old 02-08-2009, 01:22 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xtrememadness
the 66mm setting is for the original shock. you are running the new silva bladder shock which is longer. so basically wherever hole you chose according to your setup you will just need to adjust the ball cups on the shock to get 1.5mm of droop. running the shock in the hole farthest back will give you the most steering.
ok thanks, i will do that.

so you don't fiddle the front mount height to tune the shock just the fore aft position?
Old 02-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Eache flex plate has 6 different spring rate options with no changed parts.
Care to expand on that? I can think of 4, but 6?

DK
Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by avs
ok thanks, i will do that.

so you don't fiddle the front mount height to tune the shock just the fore aft position?
ok. sorry. yeah for high bite carpet we run a medium height ballstud(black) and 2mm shims under antenna mount. this is the same as running the tall ball stud except the tall ball stud bends like a prezel the shims under the mount is a jason schreffler trick. the higher the shock the more entry steering i believe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.