2009 Halloween Classic Presented by The Gate and Northeast Grand Slam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2009 Halloween Classic Presented by The Gate and Northeast Grand Slam

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Big Thanks to Chicky, Goetz, McSmooth, Mr. Catricala and everyone else who started and continues to keep the NEGS series running! Also thanks to all those who helped run and promote the Halloween Classic. There was a lot of talent present this weekend and I enjoyed watching races just as much as racing myself. You guys have a great thing going here and I'm planning to attend as many of these races as possible. I appreciate the effort you guys put forth and especially Chicky's effort to keep foam tire racing alive!

Thanks Jack for keeping me stocked up on Jaco Lilacs to practice and prepare for this race. Drew and I worked hard to adapt to the new compound of foam and it paid off pretty well for us both. Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark506
the foam guys ran spec lilacs if anyone cared...........
And the unofficial poll was they spent about 30% less on tire than the rubber tire racers did
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by miller tyme
And the unofficial poll was they spent about 30% less on tire than the rubber tire racers did
I don't think thats a very fair comparison. One spec tire against a variety of spec tires.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Yeah, this is misleading. The Sorex & SJR tires are the most expensive out there. There's better options in a spec tire when it comes to price and longevity. I'm not a big fan of these semi-open spec rubber rules.

Spec foam is a nice idea, it's too bad it couldn't get any momentum 3 years ago when people started asking for it.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I spent a lot of money on rubber tires. However I have tires for club racing for the next 2 months left over from the race.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks to Paul, Chris and McSmooth for putting this series together and to the rest of the Gate crew for setting up and tearing down the track. Congrats to all of the winners. I had a great time this weekend... and thankfully learned a lot though failure.

I do have a suggestion to help keep rubber alive without effecting tire options. Why don't we limit racers to two sets of rubber tires for qualifying and the main? Tire quantity limits are used in Europe, like in the ETS series, and would make the cost of rubber closer to the spec foam series.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
I spent a lot of money on rubber tires. However I have tires for club racing for the next 2 months left over from the race.
Yeah that is my thought too. I spent $75 on rubber tires and $40 on foam (though I only used $20 worth of them). But my rubber tires should last me a long time for club racing. The spec foam was nice though.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Yeah that is my thought too. I spent $75 on rubber tires and $40 on foam (though I only used $20 worth of them). But my rubber tires should last me a long time for club racing. The spec foam was nice though.
You ran 1 set of foams for practice, quals and the mains? did you start them at 60mm?
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
You ran 1 set of foams for practice, quals and the mains? did you start them at 60mm?
Yeah, almost. Started at 59mm and they ended at 57 mm by the end of the weekend (11 runs). Wear was great. Might also be the reason why I finished last in the B but hey, 5 people did worse than I did. They probably had the same stragegy. .

Foam was just a time filler for me. I hadn't run it in 3 or 4 years. It was fun though! Forgot how easy they were to drive. I just regret that I think it made me worse in rubber TC.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Yeah, almost. Started at 59mm and they ended at 57 mm by the end of the weekend (11 runs). Wear was great. Might also be the reason why I finished last in the B but hey, 5 people did worse than I did. They probably had the same stragegy. .

Foam was just a time filler for me. I hadn't run it in 3 or 4 years. It was fun though! Forgot how easy they were to drive. I just regret that I think it made me worse in rubber TC.

I ran 3 sets starting at 57.00. Ran them to about 56.20 then threw on a new set.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

(please, god of the heavens, don't let this thread go the route of so many others).

i must say, it's quite nice to be racing again. brad johnson gave me the best six minutes i've had in a long time. i'm totally jazzed about the mimi's leg and that other big race they're doing ..

thanks to everyone who made a trip out. be it to race, or simply to witness. it's you who keeps the tank just full enough to enable us to give it one more go....
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I was just wondering if someone can explain why NEGS does not spec a rubber tire?

Every other race has a spec tire for rubber and it seems to work very well. Not spec'ing a tire in rubber is a sure way to kill it, some of the great strides that rubber tire has made in the US is partially due to the spec nature of the class. By having an equal tire for all racers it makes you work on setup and driving and takes the tire game out of the picture.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

i believe it is because the series is sponsored by a few rubber tire companys..
Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my turn on foam I ran 2 sets started them at 56 and didn't glue them. ran one set friday practice about 6 runs then 1 practice and 3 rounds saturday. third round they were showing through, really through, I mean white rim and all, even though I turned an 11flat with them. then put another set on sunday morning and ran the 4th round only half a tenth faster which I would attribute to the track being faster and my getting the track layout right. and then I ran the main. and they are still good. of course that was after getting the lucky dog award
I finished 3rd about $30 worth of racing expence as far as I'm concerned... I didn't even bring TC tires with me planned on buying more and might next time as they worked great and you couldn't beat the price and I get hobby shop discount. great idea of keeping foam running. still wish I could of ran paragon though

thanks to everybody that helped me get my car safely back on the grid...
Old 11-03-2009, 03:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by seaball
brad johnson gave me the best six minutes i've had in a long time.
Wow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.