Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Burney
This is the track he is talking about its very unique http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvtVIQ7mf5k
That's about the same as the track I raced at a while back. Very narrow.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Can't believe I'm gonna do this but.... Yokemad, if it's GMCC your running at, can I suggest you go and have a look at Rich Thorpes car... he's running a 416, so should be able to help you out on a setup direction

As for the setup, I would certainly say you were running it too softly sprung to start with... White/Blues is deffiently the way to go for the springs.

Also, have a check of those 44mm rear driveshafts, and make 100% sure they aren't touching the diff nut anywhere during the suspension movement. Given your running the rear end even narrower than kit, I have a suspicion that the 44mm driveshafts might be binding up at the rear on compression, as I know I could get the blade too touch the nut with the XA/E blocks on and 2° of camber...

And change the rear blocks to XA/E, whilst the narrower ones give more grip and a bit quicker rotation, they can be very hard to drive... with the 1mm under the rear blocks, you should have enough rotation already.

As for the ackerman, less shims will take aware overall steering, but increase initial responsiveness, whilst more does the opposite... by the sounds of it, you want to put more shims in there to calm down the twitchyness (as has already been suggested)

And one final thing to try, if you have shead loads of grip... go too 7F/6R on the droop... it works a treat to stop the car traction rolling (ran on the sweeps and X1 this weekend at MM-RR, and that helped a load).

HiH
Ed
Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Thanx Mate
Thorpe Is a Diamond Fella and Very Helpfull
He noticed I put 2 of the Reversable Wishbones wrong way around LOL
I just try to Collect as much Ideas As Possible before the Meeting
How About Top deck Cut ? Is it better to go Normal Top Deck?
All The Best
Old 12-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What is the thickness of the 416X? mm please thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by energydrink
Oh ok, good thing there's a setup for us regular guys. Phew, that was close. But good thing there's other people who have set-ups for us non-Randy-Caster drivers.

See everyone Friday!
The TRF website had the Corey Lewis setup on it but for some reason it's not posted now ??? I guess the biggest tip I can give anyone is negative expo may need to be used, the track is very high bite and most cars feel twitchy.

Like I said, I'm glad to give my setup out to anyone, but I'm still willing to help those who would rather I lie about how it tends to drive.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

i have the 416 center one-way set NIP for sale,
PM me
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello,

at the moment I am planning to make new TRF Damper Spring retainers, which will be suitable for HB Springs AND Tamiya Springs.

At the moment I am making the final drawings for Square. So they can make the retainers in early 2010.

In the attachment you will find a picture of some prototypes. They fit perfectly and holds both spring types firmly.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yokemad,

What's the surface of the track? Tarmac or cement?

We're putting our very own track right now but it's cement. Wonder how to increase the grip? Sugar water?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet
Hello,

at the moment I am planning to make new TRF Damper Spring retainers, which will be suitable for HB Springs AND Tamiya Springs.

At the moment I am making the final drawings for Square. So they can make the retainers in early 2010.

In the attachment you will find a picture of some prototypes. They fit perfectly and holds both spring types firmly.
Very good idea !!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello,

Great news Dai. See you got the X built...
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonest
Toh,

All chassis are different from each other.

1) 416 vs 416WE battery position moved forward 5mm

2) 416 & WE vs 416X rear diff moved backward by 1.8mm & motor mount moved in centreline (belting) by 1.0mm

3) 416 & 416X battery position same, hence different compared with WE.

I have both the 416 & WE but I'd still prefer the original 416 (more steering), but I'd upgrade the top deck & motor to WE.

The only thing u could use from 416X on 416 & WE is the motor mount but u need to remove some carbon on the lower deck, where the motor sits. But if you like to up grade ur 416 to 416X, u will need the new top deck, lower deck, motor mount & rear bulkhead, maybe the front bulkhead as well (this I'm not too sure).

Hope this helps.
Toh,

My apologies.

Since I just got the kit, it seems that the new chassis is rather similar with the ori 416 with some minor changes. So If u want to use the new chassis on your 416 or WE, there shouldn't be any issue but u may consider getting the new motor mount as well.

Cheers.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hello,

I'm saw Tamiya Team Driver used HPI shock spring over 4 years ,
so is a best spring !
Old 12-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jonest
Toh,

My apologies.

Since I just got the kit, it seems that the new chassis is rather similar with the ori 416 with some minor changes. So If u want to use the new chassis on your 416 or WE, there shouldn't be any issue but u may consider getting the new motor mount as well.

Cheers.
Sorry, not correct.... if you measure the rear screw positions, the screws that mount at the back of the rear bulkhead are further away on the X, than on the 416 and WE (which makes sense given the new diff position). I discovered this whilst measuring up Elliott's car this past weekend.
Also measured the top deck, and the flex scetion between the rear top deck screws is also slightly longer than on the WE and X. Kinda between where they are on the WE and removing the third screw... see the picture to see whaty I mean

Basically, you can't use the X chassis plate with an orig or WE 416, without getting the new rear bulkheads (and the new centre bulkheads, and top deck in turn).

However, you CAN use the new motor mount on an original and a WE, but like mentioned previously, you'll lose a screwmounting hole in the top deck.

HiH
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-top-deck-rear.jpg  

Last edited by TryHard; 12-10-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Any suggestions on how to keep a car from stepping out in a high speed sweeper around the middle, and on through to the end? It's otherwise stable around the rest of the track, but I can't drive the sweeper with any confidence at all. I've shaken down the whole car looking for something bent or broken, and tried all kinds of setup stuff. I wonder if less ackermann (5mm currently) would help?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What's stepping out, front or rear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.