Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Had a great day of racing getting ready for our big event coming up next weekend. Our biggest class today was the open TC class with most drivers running 6.5 turns with some sort of boost/turbo. Fastest car on the track was a very well sorted Serpent S411 at the hands of Martin Crisp. Being able to pit across from Martin is always a treat as I get a chance to learn more about chassis set-up in an afternoon then I would ever learn in a weeks time with trial and error.

As a novice to modified TC racing indoors on a more technical track I've been putting the S411 through some durability tests and the car has held-up extremely well.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

I also had a great time with the Serpent 411 this weekend . I feel Serpent did a really great job with the design and drivability of the car. I hope all you hobbyist have as much fun as I have been having with the car .

Go Team Serpent !
Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

I had a DNF today with the front end of the car vibrating itself apart. Running a gear diff in the front with 200k Xray oil there is a significant wobble with the gear diff casing. I had the sway bars come undone a couple of times and bind up the front end by the end of the run. Second final I had one of the screws in the shock cap come undone and the front end gave way. No damage luckily but has anyone else experienced this?

Other than that and ripping out a sensor cable when i was leading the last A-main i had my best weekend with the car so far.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i have this wobble also, it doesnt bother my cars. i always do up my shock screws very tight.

i had a run in stock today, one last time , as i have been helping with settings for the SP guys. found a nice consistant setting in the speedy, and i re set the race time record today in blistering heat. track temps up to 61C and 39 C in the shade. the S411 was very consistant to drive, our readouts take 3 lots of consistancy times, first row, all lasp are counted, second row i think is taking off your worst lap, 3rd row is taking of your 2 worst laps. it didnt matter, my consistancy was 0.12, 0.12, and 0.11. there the 3 rows, and new track record set. very happy with the chassis for both Stock and Modified, just very easy cars to drive fast. i never run stock before, and i think Nationals just gone by, fastest race time i thikn was 20 laps 6:06 . today i did 4 runs Minus that time, and re set the race time at 20 laps 6:02. Awesome cars
Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
I had a DNF today with the front end of the car vibrating itself apart. Running a gear diff in the front with 200k Xray oil there is a significant wobble with the gear diff casing. I had the sway bars come undone a couple of times and bind up the front end by the end of the run. Second final I had one of the screws in the shock cap come undone and the front end gave way. No damage luckily but has anyone else experienced this?

Other than that and ripping out a sensor cable when i was leading the last A-main i had my best weekend with the car so far.
Treadlock my friend
Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I am heading out today for a club race and the serpent is pretty good. I am looking to remedy a mid corner to exit push without sacrificing rear grip.
Sounds like everyone ran well yesterday, good to hear. I think we will have more tc drivers joining the serpent team which will result in even more support....
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Last Leg of Grand Slam Series

Originally Posted by JamesReilly
Kelso race the same set-up with only a minor change for driving style he used a 2.6 front spring and the stock shocks same oils.
Hey guys I know late been extremely busy. Yes me and James ran the the exact same set up except the stiffer spring upfront as James stated. I felt as though the car carried a little more corner speed. I qualified 3rd and Finished 3. I had a rough start which put me at the back of the pack. I had to fight from 10th place back up to third. The car was simply amazing ran the fastest lap of the weekend of a 10.801 just more mistakes on my end.

Currently getting the car ready for Canadian on road Nationals this coming weekend. Very excited about that not sure about the traction level but I intend to pick Mr. Crisp brain. Lol

Last edited by 98tahoeboy; 03-04-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I also noticed that the bearing surface on the gear diffs allows the whole assembly to wobble some. I've shimmed mine a little to take most of the end play out, problem solved and the driveline still runs free.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

I have a couple questions.
1 how does using the 2.0 block instead of the 1.0 block in the front effect handling?
2 I have been using 300 cst fluid in the rear diff for break in process and it has now been 3 full weekends of racing and practice, probably 45 min to 1 hour runtime. My track I am racing is low traction and tight asphalt, what would be a good replacement weight? keep in mind rear traction has been hard to find.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 PM

I had same issue before. It turn out the diff case is slightly off center causing the diff do not turn truely..... I change to new diff case and it seems to be slightly better.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
I have a couple questions.
1 how does using the 2.0 block instead of the 1.0 block in the front effect handling?
2 I have been using 300 cst fluid in the rear diff for break in process and it has now been 3 full weekends of racing and practice, probably 45 min to 1 hour runtime. My track I am racing is low traction and tight asphalt, what would be a good replacement weight? keep in mind rear traction has been hard to find.
From what i understand Running both 2.0 blocks make the car less twitchy as you are not running any arm sweep and and it also takes away some steering with the wider wheel base.

As for diff oil, on Pattos suggestion i loaded up 600cst(losi 42.5) rear with a 200k front diff and the car felt awesome. Pm me your email and ill send you a low grip set up. Patto's bays water from the Serpent site is where i started.

Originally Posted by jf813
I had same issue before. It turn out the diff case is slightly off center causing the diff do not turn truely..... I change to new diff case and it seems to be slightly better.
I have 4 diffs. This will be a costly exercise. Plus one of my kits was an LE and the other a version 2 with the 2.25 chassis. I would have thought these would come with the newer diff cases.

Originally Posted by pcar951
I also noticed that the bearing surface on the gear diffs allows the whole assembly to wobble some. I've shimmed mine a little to take most of the end play out, problem solved and the driveline still runs free.
Where did you add shims and how many? I have a lot of shims from when i ran the bastard Spec R diffs in the Mi4.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Where did you add shims and how many? I have a lot of shims from when i ran the bastard Spec R diffs in the Mi4.
1 or 2 shims seemed to tighten it up enough (.03mm I think). When 2 are required, use one on each side. If you only need one, put it on the short side. Works for me...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

From what i understand Running both 2.0 blocks make the car less twitchy as you are not running any arm sweep and and it also takes away some steering with the wider wheel
True, really settles the car down.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Regular

thx again.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Good Racing this Weekend

Grant and I went to the One Lug Carpet Showdown. We had a blast with practice on Fri, Qualifying Sat and then when it was time for the mains we went from Qual having 4-5 cars to 8 cars for the mains. The track was pretty small without any good place for passing. It was take the pass or hope the person in front moved over. If neither of those were an option it was good opportunity to just hit each other. It truly was a fun track to run on but with 8 cars and various skill levels it was a bit of crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.