Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks for all the great info!

I guess now I need to try and do some research on the Yok as well. Anyone know how durable it is, and how well it handles/accelerates on rough surfaces? It looks like an incredibly high quality buggy, atleast from the pictures on their website. Doesn't mean it handles though, lol.

My LHS carries Losi, AE, Jconcepts, and, if they don't have them in stock they can get them in 1-2 days, Kyosho parts, so really I can't just use which parts will be available as a deciding factor. That's why all the questions about durability and stuff. Only stuff they don't carry, I believe, is Ttech and Yokomo, but I really don't mind ordering stuff online and waiting a couple days to get it anyways. Especially if the vehicle I have is better than the ones they carry.

Anyone live in San Diego, or nearby, that wants to show me their buggy?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
Thanks for all the great info!

I guess now I need to try and do some research on the Yok as well. Anyone know how durable it is, and how well it handles/accelerates on rough surfaces? It looks like an incredibly high quality buggy, atleast from the pictures on their website. Doesn't mean it handles though, lol.

My LHS carries Losi, AE, Jconcepts, and, if they don't have them in stock they can get them in 1-2 days, Kyosho parts, so really I can't just use which parts will be available as a deciding factor. That's why all the questions about durability and stuff. Only stuff they don't carry, I believe, is Ttech and Yokomo, but I really don't mind ordering stuff online and waiting a couple days to get it anyways. Especially if the vehicle I have is better than the ones they carry.

Anyone live in San Diego, or nearby, that wants to show me their buggy?

Come on up to SoCal Raceway and I will

The new Yokomo is pretty fresh, so not many run it yet... check out this thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93080
Old 05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

I may just do that. Is there an actual 4wd class running at SoCal? If so, what buggies do people race?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Addict

it would appear that the choices boil down to the bj4 worlds car or the new yokomo. given that both cars now have very similar layouts, it would again appear that the choices boil down to belt drive vs shaft drive and which one of those handling characteristics that you perfer. personnaly, i like shaft drive with either the shaft one way or a front one way......or even both. an associated tc3 nitro front one way is a direct drop in on both the bj4 and bj4 worlds car and jconcepts offers an inexpensive shaft one way as an option to the worlds car.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've got both the ZX-5 and the BJ4WE (and a XX-4WE). The only part I've broken on the ZX-5 is a front arm from slamming into a pipe off a jump landing. I've also stripped out some steering knuckles, but that was my fault...I tend to overtighten EVERYTHING . I have the aluminum brace on it, but thats it. The suspension seems a little plusher on the ZX and once I got the shocks to stop leaking they've been great (used AE o-rings in the lower cartridges). I installed the Kyosho shock bladders and they seem a lot smoother with them. The BJ4 is an awesome car, but I've had some durability problems with mine. At one point I was snapping a front arm almost every battery pack. A couple were from solid nasty hits and expected, but most it seems were from just brushing a pipe or landing on only one front tire from a jump. I personally think the HD front arms on the BJ4 could stand to be a little stronger. Aside from the arms the only other wear I've seen is the rear end of the chassis from not running any chassis protection. The front shock tower looks exposed, but it's super stout. Jconcepts customer service is awesome...Jason has been very very helpful. I am torn between these two as I like aspects of each. Only other gripe (and it's just personal preference) is I'm not a big fan of saddle packs. I know it's not a big deal to some, but I much prefer 6 cells in a row...especially since I really like the new Orion Li-po plastic cased battery and would like to run it eventually. New Yok looks really great aside from the exposed diffs...it has what I think are the strongest fronts arms from looking at them. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

I lean towards the BJ4 since parts are readily available, and it's not even close to as cluttered as the Yok (that thing looks like it was built out of an erector set!).

I have yet to hear anything bad about the X-5 though, but I haven't heard a lot of good (I assume due to there being a lack of them in the field). Since it's made out of Losi parts, I would assume it's very durable. I know my old XXX-4 bounced like a ball whenever it crashed, and didn't break. And since it's based on the xx-4, it does the rough stuff very well, but still accelerates quickly since it doesn't have that complicated multiple belt drive system. BUT, I only know what X-factory tells me, so it could be different from reality

I really wish X-factory would get a real video camera, and show some up close action of their car on a track, without 10 other cars bashing into it. Heck, their video quality is so low I can't even tell which one is the x-5!

For me it seems to be a decision between the X-5, the BJ4, and the ZX5 since no one really has anything bad to say about them (except for the BJ4s arms, but I've also seen aluminum arms for that car for sale), and parts are readily available compared to something like the Yok. I'd give anything to have the 3 sitting infront of me right now so I could examine each in full detail. Hopefully I will get to see them both in action sometime soon.

That Predator x10 sure is neat looking...

Last edited by HVAC25000; 05-24-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

my bro in law drives an X-5, and a xx4, sold his xxx4 because he liked the x5 xxx4 better. make sure that you have enough parts to build a complete extra if not having an extra, because nobody will have parts for them and they will break. I think it breaks where you have to modify the chassis to fit the x-5 conversion, as much as the arms and such. Also make sure you do have the xx4 parts that it uses as well. I have heard thatthey do handle the rough better than the XXX-4, I guess, and they have the better single belt drive like the XXX4, the problem is the lack of room for the esc, needs a gtx or similar sized esc, which means no brushless, unless the sphere is smaller. I personally like my xxx4, handles the rough well enough fro me, and with the 9x2 it has plenty of oomph, even with the 6.5 velocity, my buddy's xxx4 does well in the rough.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
I lean towards the BJ4 since parts are readily available, and it's not even close to as cluttered as the Yok (that thing looks like it was built out of an erector set!).

I have yet to hear anything bad about the X-5 though, but I haven't heard a lot of good (I assume due to there being a lack of them in the field). Since it's made out of Losi parts, I would assume it's very durable. I know my old XXX-4 bounced like a ball whenever it crashed, and didn't break. And since it's based on the xx-4, it does the rough stuff very well, but still accelerates quickly since it doesn't have that complicated multiple belt drive system. BUT, I only know what X-factory tells me, so it could be different from reality

I really wish X-factory would get a real video camera, and show some up close action of their car on a track, without 10 other cars bashing into it. Heck, their video quality is so low I can't even tell which one is the x-5!

For me it seems to be a decision between the X-5, the BJ4, and the ZX5 since no one really has anything bad to say about them (except for the BJ4s arms, but I've also seen aluminum arms for that car for sale), and parts are readily available compared to something like the Yok. I'd give anything to have the 3 sitting infront of me right now so I could examine each in full detail. Hopefully I will get to see them both in action sometime soon.

That Predator x10 sure is neat looking...

I have a buddy who has the X-5 and ZX5. He prefers the ZX5 and I've seen and driven his ZX5. The setup is crap compared to a correctly setup one...

If your xxx-4 was durable then I guarantee both the zx5 and BJ4 will be even more suprising. There are so many xxx-4s I've seen at SoCal get really messed up. They keep 3-4 chassis for the xxx-4 readily in stock because its such a problem... I drove a buddy's car once. Got hit by another car going over a huge jump. Flipped the car and landed upside down. Broke 2 dual front shock towers, the chassis, and front gear cover... $$$

I can't say much for the x-5. My buddy doesn't run his anymore. And the only time I saw one race recently was a non-local and he DNFed 1 qualifier and DNSed the main. Not sure why...

SoCal for the most part has a 4wd class every Friday I go. Sunday too the days I've gone. Only 1 time I've gone has there not been a 4wd mod class...

Note that for a front one-way, you do have to spend $50 extra for the BJ4... Included with the ZX5... But you do have to spend about $65 on the ZX5 for aluminum parts...
Old 05-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default xx4

im back to my old 1997 xx 4 , it seems to deal with a set up thats a tad off a little better, my track is smooth and with a swaybar kit its dialed, i have had mine forever and it still has the original solid chasis without the battery slots and motor hole, i just added threaded shocks and the new belts,i can keep up with almost all 4wd's at the track with the exception of the x 10 wich is a rocket, but very brittle, i also have an original predator wich is a shelf queen,and a pain to set up. i was going to get the x 5 but i want to see one go in person and check it out. my vote goes to the old xx4, hell, mine even has the trinity aluminum front bulkhead, servo mounts, motorclamp and heat sink ,mount rear cr conversion mounts and aluminum xx cr rear hubs , so mine is close to bullet proof thats my 2 cents
Old 05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

I really don't like the idea of not being able to fit a brushless setup in the x-5. If I have my way, I will never own another brushed motor in my life.

The general consensus seems to be that the BJ4 and the ZX-5 are more durable than the Losi type vehicles.

I feel sort of bad about this. I've always been quite loyal to Losi, avoiding other companies, especially AE, like the plague, but it is starting to appear that Losi may have dropped the 4wd electric ball here. Cars that are weaker than the competition. Cars that are so ill-designed that they have to have 2 different models to get the job done, and then have a third party company take both their vehicles and turn them into one working vehicle. That's really sad... Losi needs to just drop both the ones they've got now and start over with a bunch of carbon fibre and aluminum, I think.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

Some interesting stuff right here.

http://atomic-carbon.gforceimages.net/
Old 05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Just incase there's anyone here that doesn't watch the for sale/for trade forums.

I'm looking to sell, or, preferably trade, my Ofna Ultra MBX for an electric 4wd, so if you'd like an 1/8 buggy in good condition and have a 4wd electric lying around that you'd be willing to trade, shoot me a PM.

More info here:
http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=115037
Old 05-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

WEll, i would have to say that the XXX4 is not as fragile as everyone thinks it is, I think if you are running the graphite it is, but I FLEW off of a jump and hit a piece of plywood and landed about 26 feet from take off, and only cracked the front diff, no arms or anything else. I have hit railroad ties, and other stuff at full speed ( like bumping it from the side) and had no damage, I think in order to break teh arms you have t hit it absolutely perfect , or else hook a wheel. And with some diff straps you can limit the breakage there as well. I am not 100% postive on teh lack of brushlees, but am pretty sure he runs a gtx and 9x2 brushed motor due to size issues. The GTB "might" squeeze in there, but I can not be certain. There are about 3 guys in walla walla that run the x-5, adn really like it, and 2 of them have had xxx4's, ( both of them had mine at one point in time) and my bro in law has a xx4 that he runs as well.
ROd
Old 05-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had a XXX-4 G+. It wasnt worth the $ or time. I then changed to a XX-4 WE. But the parts were expensive and the bulkhead in front broke too easy. The car just didnt feel right. I then bought a BJ4 standard. The car is durable as hell, is maintence free (NO belts) and it handles and accelerates the best. Id go with a BJ4 over anything with belts, I have yet to try out the ZX5 tho...
Old 05-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any comments regarding the Academy SB V2? The price makes it tempting, but you generally get what you pay for.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.