Wiki Posts
Search

Electric 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HVAC25000
Where can a zx-5 be purchased for 275? And a yokomo for 532?

X10, not 620. 572 TtechAmerica

Nonetheless, they are all still over 500 except the zx-5 which is plastic, probably heavier, and more fragile than the BJ4...
I went by TTech's price in pounds. You're right there.

The Yokomo can be bought for $532 straight from Yokomo USA.
The ZX5 can be bought for $275 from Amainhobbies.

When you get the aluminum parts for the ZX5, you come out to about $350...

Fragility is up to the driver. Id say they're about even for the most part. I don't think the ZX5 is heavier. Mine weighs about 730g roller with all the aluminum and without tires ...
Old 05-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Mine weighs 1532.3 grams (47.7 ounces converted to grams), ready to race.

Body, battery (4800 Peak), SS+ 5800 Novak, tires, transponder...you name it. It has front and rear shock tower braces, front pivot...and is VERY tough, at least compared to my XXX-4.

Is that "heavy"? I don't know the limits or what weighs what.

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 05-26-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Well hopefully now some people will start weighing their buggies It was an aspect I hadn't considered until recently.

Will a Novak brushless fit in the Yok? What about the zx-5?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Most everyone that seriously races agrees that the XXX-4, XX-4, an SB aren't really even options.

That's news to me.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

XX-4 does rough stuff well, doesn't accelerate. XXX-4 doesn't do rough stuff, accelerates great. Losi themselves claim those are facts!!!!!!!!!!! No one has any room to argue with those simple statements.

The goal here is to get something that does both, and doesn't break, so it can actually be raced on short, rough, high flying american tracks, like the one I have available. If you read my first post or 2 in this thread, you would know that

So that boils down to the BJ4, X-5, possibly the yok (although I don't recall if anyone who actually owns one has added any input yet? I'll have to go through the posts again) and the zx-5.

People have said bad things about the x-5 breaking just like the xx-4 and xxx-4 (except the plastic version which never broke, just bounced). Also it has no room inside. Haven't seen one with a brushless yet.

The Yok looks great to me, just parts are next to impossible to get, and there haven't been any real good reviews of it yet.

The zx-5 is 300 dollars as opposed to 500 for a reason. You get what you pay for. A plastic, brittle, possibly heavy car.

No one has said anything bad about the BJ4 except that the arms break, but with the new arms that is supposedly fixed. No one has had any other real complaints about it. And parts are very easy to get. Atleast for me they are.

Last edited by HVAC25000; 05-25-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

As a side note. By the time I save up 500 dollars, something new will probably be out anyways. Actually, I know there will be. The XRS. I REALLY wish Ttech would realease even a tiny piece of information about it, like what kind of track it's for. I'd love to preorder one, but not without knowing what I'm buying, lol.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

The zx-5 is 300 dollars as opposed to 500 for a reason. You get what you pay for. A plastic, brittle, possibly heavy car.
Dude...at this point, you need to step back and shut up. You don't have one, you don't race 4wd and frankly, you're doing nothing but flapping your gums about stuff you know nothing about.

It's not "plastic", it's made out of the same kind of stuff as a Losi or Associated or better Tamiya. It's not "brittle", it's as tough as any 4wd out there...but if you actually raced them, you'd know that already.

As for "possibly heavy"...I just weighed mine, so if you're such an "internet expert", you should be able to easily compare it to other cars. Short of that, it just sounds stupid.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 PM
FBR
Tech Adept

firat off on 4wd's breaking that is pretty much a given they have substantially less front kick up so the arms absorb more impact
now about brushless
i saw cha-lee's novak system up close and it fits very well in the bj4, i've also seen brownies bj4 with a brushless in it and scott spear's as well (brownie and scott use the lrp system while cha uses novak) and they fit no problem
i have seen brushless in a zx5 and it can fit but is very tight

the kyosho car has potential but needs some extra tlc to be solid i have a biased opinion on because i had severe parts issues as in couldn't get em at one point i had orders in to my lhs and an online store waiting for parts before an event and finally got the parts the day before i left but i had to wait a month for the parts (although i hear the availabilty issue is fixed)

with the bj i can use ae parts in a pinch for example if you break an hd front arm you can still use a b4 arm an the front you just have to shim it and anything i have ordered from jason i see in 2-3 days you can't beat that service

when i ran my yok i could always call yokomo (which you can't do with kyosho) for parts if you couldn't find em
Old 05-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Brushless setups are tight in just about any newer car...they fit fine in a ZX-5...tight, just like in a TC.

As for TLC, the biggest thing I did was start boiling arms and towers, just like on an HPI. I don't break anything unless I hit something pretty hard...not bad for a little car that will smoke most 1/8th scale buggies on a straight. I have more fun with that car (and less hassle) than any other car I've ever owned...except for when I was running mini coopers with a brushless...LOL

Parts are dirt cheap, readily available (the first month was iffy, but still better than my Pro4 ) and it's VERY easy to work on. It will run with any 4wd and you don't have to worry about going broke racing it.
Attached Thumbnails Electric 4wd-rcstuff-019.jpg  
Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Too bad there is only two buggies that will accept a Lipo pack?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Turbo joe, blow it right out your ass. These are opinions, you stupid douche. Don't get all pissed off because someone thinks a 500 dollar carbon fibre and aluminum car is better than a 300 dollar plastic and graphite one.

"The ZX-5 out of the box ($300) is fragile. I upgraded to the aluminum shock tower mounts and front arm holder(rckenon.com $80 total), and Carbon Works chassis, top deck, battery strap and shock towers ($130). The car is now extremly tough and hooked up." Might as well buy a 500 dollar car right out of the box!

"i had a zx-5 and the car had a ton of potential but i raced it on an 1/8th style track as well and had issues braking parts"

"I have broken a lot on my ZX5?

"The ZX-5 handles very well and is easy to setup and work on. There are a few parts which need to be replaced to make it durable enough race with confidence."

It's not my fault I'm not a moron. When 4 different people tell me a particular car breaks, I'm going to believe that it breaks a lot!

Go play with your turbo economy cars, leave the real racers to the intelligent people.

My ignore list keeps getting longer and longer these days, lol.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

See if you can buy the Durango from someone then. You'll definately get a lot then

Is it possible you just don't like cars that don't have CF chassis?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Any buggy will accept a lipo pack, just in the case of cars like worlds editions, you have to have 2 small packs Wouldn't deter me from buying a 2 pack car.

So does anyone know if a Novak Brushless will fit in a Yok? Or know a better place for me to ask the question?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Don't durangos cost like 1000? and aside from that, aren't in production yet.

Despite what anyone may think, I don't have any preconceived prejudices. I can't because I only know what YOU people tell me. I'm making judgements based on what YOU guys are telling me, then checking back with others in the group, and people like turbo blow it out his ass joe get pissed at me. I'm not the first one to say the zx-5 is weak, 4 people said it before me. I wasn't saying it as if I'm a mother ****ing god or something and everything I say is right. I'm just saying what people have told me to make sure I understand, and to see if other people agree or disagree. The problem is, some children in here, like turbo joe, don't know how to properly disagree.

I owned a XXX-4, the plastic one, only reason I sold it was because I had nowhere to race it. I tried to buy it back from my friend last week but he likes it too much.

I own a mini inferno. A kyosho product, made of plastic, and I love it. It's not weak though like it's larger cousin. I have an AON 4900 brushless and an 8 cell gp1100 pack, so it gets some good speed but never breaks. Cartwheels like a cheerleader :-D not as entertaining though...

I own an 1/8 buggy, aluminum chassis, I'd actually rather have an aluminum chassis than a cf one. I'm going to get an aluminum one for the mini inferno because it's stronger. I'm tempted to make one for whatever buggy I get in the future as well. I'd rather go a little slower and never break a chassis.

I'd absolutely LOVE to have an x10, but it's not made for my style of racing. And I doubt their new vehicle will be made of cf, but if it's made for my style of racing, I'm getting it.

And most everyone here has agreed with the xxx-4, xx-4, and thus the x-5, have a weak front end (do I really need to copy and paste quotes of this info too?). It's not my fault they don't have a carbon chassis, that's called coincidence. The chassis isn't even the part that breaks though.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

XX-4 does rough stuff well, doesn't accelerate. XXX-4 doesn't do rough stuff, accelerates great. Losi themselves claim those are facts!!!!!!!!!!! No one has any room to argue with those simple statements.

Again, news to me. I doubt Losi has ever said that, but that's yours to believe if you like. With today's motors and ridiculous capacity batteries, making a XX4 accelerate like a rabbit with it's tail on fire isn't much of a task. Just because it has three belts doesn't make it a leper. And the XXX4 is still a killer on hardpack tracks. Trying to find one car that does everything perfectly may be a difficult task, but then again, you're the one who asked people for their opinions. Many people who own them will swear by an X5, which has combined the best of both the XXX4 and XX4, and is doing it very well. You won't find many X5 flag wavers here, as they have their own forums (which the BJ4 does not, so you might be getting a bit of a biased consensus).

Quite honestly, you came to a forum and asked for opinions—and that's what you're getting. Take it in stride. It sounds like you have your mind made up anyway. I honestly don't think you can go wrong if you buy ANY of the 4wd cars on the market right now. They are ALL top shelf cars and most have proven track records of winning at the very highest levels in the world, over a long period of time.

And if you buy something that you don't like, you can turn around and sell it on the forums, and buy something different the next day. No matter what you buy, someone will want to buy it used. Good luck with your pick.

doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.