Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi guys,
I've replaced my TC5's front balldiff with spool. it actually worked better for me, however after every heat, one of the bone blades breaks.

Any suggestion to solve this issue?
Any experience?

Thank you in advance for your response.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

any comment will be appreciated guys, any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM
rMa
Tech Rookie

Check the outdrives for wear. It doesn't take much for the bone pins to eat their way in and when that happens blades just don't last. Even with new outdrives blades tend to brake occasionally from a slightest hit. Slipper spool would be more forgiving.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Karatayk
Hi guys,
I've replaced my TC5's front balldiff with spool. it actually worked better for me, however after every heat, one of the bone blades breaks.

Any suggestion to solve this issue?
Any experience?

Thank you in advance for your response.
I would check and make sure that your bearings all are spinning freely, if one is seized or gritty it could add a vibration that fatigues the outdrives. Also check that none of the CVAs are bent. Lastly I would look to make sure that the CVA and outdrives aren't being pushed into the center of the spool, like under full steering lock or suspension travel. Being jammed in could easily snap one off.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

My neighbor Alec is just getting into RC racing and is looking at a TC5 for his first car, which he will probably run in VTA. Is there anything he should look out for or be cautious about when shopping for this car. Any strengths/weaknesses (I know you all have drunk the TC5 cool aide but an honest answer would be appreciated). And what spares parts should he consider buying too? Thanks

Last edited by John Wallace2; 05-08-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
My neighbor Alec is just getting into RC racing and is looking at a TC5 firs his first car, which he will probably run in VTA. Is there anything he should look out for or be cautious about when shopping for this car. Any strengths/weaknesses (I know you all have drunk the TC5 cool aide but an honest answer would be appreciated). And what spares parts should he consider buying too? Thanks
I run one in VTA and works pretty good.
If he's a first time racer than he will break lots of servo horns, caster blocks, steering blocks and rear hub carriers. Have 1pkg f/r arms too.
We've all broken them many times, that is, until you stop hitting the boards.

Depending if running 48p or 64p. If 64p get extra spur gears because he most likely will set gear mesh wrong.

If you look back a few pages the tc6 gear diff will work in the car. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...d-tc5-877.html
I run spool front and gear diff rear.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

My neighbor Alec is just getting into RC racing and is looking at a TC5 for his first car, which he will probably run in VTA. Is there anything he should look out for or be cautious about when shopping for this car. Any strengths/weaknesses (I know you all have drunk the TC5 cool aide but an honest answer would be appreciated). And what spares parts should he consider buying too? Thanks
Definitely servo horns. On both of my TC5s I ran aftermarket stronger servo horns. Other parts that I have broken were castor blocks, and steering blocks. Its just a good idea to have all suspension components as a spare, pretty much as stated above. Otherwise its a very solid car. Fairly easy to work on, just a bit of a hassle to change spurs, but thats it.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys hope there is more to come. Some things on my check list from randomly going through the posts are: a spool, ITF chassis or the TC5R version, the set up sheet for the car as is, and the spare parts that come with the car. Anything else I should be looking for? BTW ALEC has been driving my Cyclone TC in Novice and doing much better than I ever expected. He won Novice two weeks ago by 3 laps in his 2rd race and people are already suggesting that he step up. Not sure I want him to yet and he is getting good experience driving (or more like avoiding traffic) which he won't get if he moves up too soon.

Keep the suggestions coming Thanks again
Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys hope there is more to come. Some things on my check list from randomly going through the posts are: a spool, ITF chassis or the TC5R version, the set up sheet for the car as is, and the spare parts that come with the car. Anything else I should be looking for? BTW ALEC has been driving my Cyclone TC in Novice and doing much better than I ever expected. He won Novice two weeks ago by 3 laps in his 2rd race and people are already suggesting that he step up. Not sure I want him to yet and he is getting good experience driving (or more like avoiding traffic) which he won't get if he moves up too soon.

Keep the suggestions coming Thanks again
Getting the TC5R really depends on the surface or class. The TC5F (or the original which is identical minus aluminum diff outdrives) works just fine on all conditions or tires. Its easy to set up the TC5F for both rubber or foam tires, carpet or asphalt. With my TC5R it was strictly a VTA car. The tires provided very little grip on carpet, and only decent on asphalt. The R chassis is good for lower grip, rubber set ups. The ITF chassis and top deck are used on the R version and provide better flex as they are thinner, and the top deck doesn't have braces across. The ITF would be nice if you primarily race rubber tires on low grip, but the regular chassis will work just as well, and better all around with the proper set up. Between my two TC5s, one regular, one R, they had almost exact opposite set ups but worked equally well. I personally never ran a spool in my TC5s, and never had before, until I got my xray. Its very different, and required me to slightly change my driving style and set up, but I really like using the spool on that car. So I might get one as a tuning option.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mschumi101
Getting the TC5R really depends on the surface or class. The TC5F (or the original which is identical minus aluminum diff outdrives) works just fine on all conditions or tires. Its easy to set up the TC5F for both rubber or foam tires, carpet or asphalt. With my TC5R it was strictly a VTA car. The tires provided very little grip on carpet, and only decent on asphalt. The R chassis is good for lower grip, rubber set ups. The ITF chassis and top deck are used on the R version and provide better flex as they are thinner, and the top deck doesn't have braces across. The ITF would be nice if you primarily race rubber tires on low grip, but the regular chassis will work just as well, and better all around with the proper set up. Between my two TC5s, one regular, one R, they had almost exact opposite set ups but worked equally well. I personally never ran a spool in my TC5s, and never had before, until I got my xray. Its very different, and required me to slightly change my driving style and set up, but I really like using the spool on that car. So I might get one as a tuning option.
I did forget to mention we are racing on low to medium grip asphalt parking lot tracks and he'll have VTA tires that aren't known for high grip either. I'll probably never drive another car without a spool; it made a great deal of difference in my cars and in my driving. Alec is going away to college so I'll have him check on what racing is around where he will be. Good feed back on the F Vs R model
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by chongo
I run one in VTA and works pretty good.
If he's a first time racer than he will break lots of servo horns, caster blocks, steering blocks and rear hub carriers. Have 1pkg f/r arms too.
We've all broken them many times, that is, until you stop hitting the boards.

Depending if running 48p or 64p. If 64p get extra spur gears because he most likely will set gear mesh wrong.

If you look back a few pages the tc6 gear diff will work in the car. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...d-tc5-877.html
I run spool front and gear diff rear.
Hey Jeff, Could PM your TC5 VTA setup. I have a new never run TC5 R on the shelf. Maybe its time for me to try belt drive. I still like my simple TC4 shafty.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL
Hey Jeff, Could PM your TC5 VTA setup. I have a new never run TC5 R on the shelf. Maybe its time for me to try belt drive. I still like my simple TC4 shafty.
Or maybe post that VTA setup here for all of us to share? BTW one of the fastest VTA cars this weekend at the final AROCS series race was a TC3. Only modification was ceramic bearings in the drive train.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:04 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Does anyone have a recommendation for FDR for the USGT Class? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
Does anyone have a recommendation for FDR for the USGT Class? Thanks.
Depends on the size/layout of your track. With a Novak Ballistic 21.5, I'm running 4.34 on my TC5 (46/100). But it's a small track.

Mark
Old 11-01-2014, 07:07 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Depends on the size/layout of your track. With a Novak Ballistic 21.5, I'm running 4.34 on my TC5 (46/100). But it's a small track.

Mark
Thanks for the quick response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.