Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever... >

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2910Likes

1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Enforcerman
Well, I have been a Team Lotus fanatic since the early 60's. I'm 54 and I remember Jim Clark and Colin Chapman, Graham Hill, Jochen Rindt, Fittipaldi, Peterson. Andretti, Mansell, Senna, etc and ALL of the Team Lotus glory years, and there were many!

Anyway, I am completely on the side of Tony Fernandes' Team Lotus as they have tried to do things the right way and they have the legal right to the Team Lotus name. Proton Group Lotus may own Lotus road cars but they have no real connection to Team Lotus, despite how the Chapman family feels; I don't think Colin would agree with his son Clive. They are simply trying to screw things up for Tony and Co. Thanks to Proton/Lotus stealing the idea for the black & gold livery, Tony's Team Lotus will be using the green & yellow livery again this year. The gorgeous livery you see on the Lotus T128EF will be on a show car only.

Still it would be awesome if somebody duplicated it for an rc F1 car!

The Proton Lotus is just silly,it might get a nice big Lada logo on it also as they are keeping the Russian, so how many different car companies are sponcering the car,Ive lost count

The Fernandes Lotus feels more like Lotus but its isnt either.Its the Elvis inpersonater of F1.They bought the jumpsuit but cant sing or dance like Elvis.

So you have two cars that are not what they want to be. One is painted in winning colors (Green and Yellow) and lacks performance,the other is just a billboard for different car companies other than Lotus and a cigarette that nobody smokes anymore.

Last year Clive was all for the Fernandes car being a real Lotus,now he is all for the Proton Lotus.

Its a Joke all this Lotus bussiness. It will not matter as neither car will get much TV coverage. Proton will be off the pace and Lotus is a back marker without a popular driver. Last year I saw more of the Senna`s HRT than Reanult on TV.

Anyway the JPS color is beatiful.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sauber F1
Not much stranger than two Red Bulls.
I allways serperated Red Bull and Toro Rosso because of Berger.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Adept

Well I agree that neither is the original Team Lotus of old; but as a life long Lotus fan, I'll take what I can get. After all, McLaren isn't the same McLaren as when Bruce owned it, but we still recognize it as McLaren. Ferrari is still Ferrari even without Enzo. I guess only Williams is still what it always was as Frank still owns and runs it.

I'm just glad to see the Lotus name back in F1. If Colin were still around he probably wouldn't have anything to do with modern F1 racing anyways since the FIA "idiot" rulemakers have restricted to death any innovation in F1 design; and we all know that being creative, thinking "outside the box", being innovative was what inspired Colin Chapman, and is what made Lotus, Lotus.

I hope this whole legal mess concerning both Lotus F1 teams is worked out quickly. Maybe in 2012 or 2013 we will get to see Team Lotus racing with the livery of the winner of the "black & gold livery" contest that I posted. At least ground effect is going to return to F1 in 2013. That would please Colin.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

F104 videos up @ rc.F1.blog
Old 01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
This is cool.
Hangin at the bench with the robdude!
Lots of the common sense stuff that gets overlooked and some insider tips to help get this car settled down.
Nice.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks for these robk...very good to watch.

it helps me to see the 'in the know' people go through the process of car setup. very useful
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Rookie

awesome vids Rob, i learnt a tonne of stuff, with the front end reactive caster, you dont need to worry bout shims under the rear studs etc or using shorter front studs, i have been using the factory built in reactive caster setting for a little while now, if you look at the bottom arms you will notice tamiya has already moulded a reses into it for the heads of the ballhead screws that go thru the camber mount if you assemble like the manual, all you do is remove the spacers between the lower arms and the camber mount and everything drops into place nicely, only thing you have to do is remove the screw and washer from the lower arm that acts as a stopper for the top arm, and then you can adjust your reactive caster via spacers under the front ball stud nut. also doing it this way evens out the angle change between the upper arms and the steering links.

hopefully that all made sense, been meaning to post it up for a while, just havnt got round to it yet haha. one thing tho i did notice the reactive caster is better for rubber tyres, i found it made the car a little too aggressive on foams, although i run eagle foams so that cud be the reason, il test the reactive caster with other foams next time im out.

cheers ray,
Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Parsons
awesome vids Rob, i learnt a tonne of stuff, with the front end reactive caster, you dont need to worry bout shims under the rear studs etc or using shorter front studs, i have been using the factory built in reactive caster setting for a little while now, if you look at the bottom arms you will notice tamiya has already moulded a reses into it for the heads of the ballhead screws that go thru the camber mount if you assemble like the manual, all you do is remove the spacers between the lower arms and the camber mount and everything drops into place nicely, only thing you have to do is remove the screw and washer from the lower arm that acts as a stopper for the top arm, and then you can adjust your reactive caster via spacers under the front ball stud nut. also doing it this way evens out the angle change between the upper arms and the steering links.

hopefully that all made sense, been meaning to post it up for a while, just havnt got round to it yet haha. one thing tho i did notice the reactive caster is better for rubber tyres, i found it made the car a little too aggressive on foams, although i run eagle foams so that cud be the reason, il test the reactive caster with other foams next time im out.

cheers ray,
Nice find Ray, I never thought to try that. It's a lot easier to raise those front ballstuds than the rear

I usually run foam on carpet, so if you guys do asphalt, your mileage may vary...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

haha, yeah over here its mainly asphalt and not allowed to use tyre additive, theres a cuple of places that run indoors on turf but mainly outdoor asphalt. being a lazy guy i usually like to run rubbers so have been trying to get them working enough to compete with the foam guys, so far havnt got there yet so usually for the bigger meets just resort back to foam to have a chance. but hopefully with some of the things i learnt from your vids i can close that gap a little more. i never thort of the upper deck flex stuff b4 now. when i can close the gap it will be good as im far too lazy to alter the car as the foams wear out every race meet big meets its ok but i rather not do it at all haha. i fear i wont be able to get the rubbers to match the foams but will keep trying.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Cool vids Rob
Goes to show you can always learn something
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Parsons

cheers ray,
I reread this a couple times and don't get it but I haven't gone out to look at the car to try to figure it out.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Enforcerman
Well I agree that neither is the original Team Lotus of old; but as a life long Lotus fan, I'll take what I can get. After all, McLaren isn't the same McLaren as when Bruce owned it, but we still recognize it as McLaren. Ferrari is still Ferrari even without Enzo. I guess only Williams is still what it always was as Frank still owns and runs it.

I'm just glad to see the Lotus name back in F1. If Colin were still around he probably wouldn't have anything to do with modern F1 racing anyways since the FIA "idiot" rulemakers have restricted to death any innovation in F1 design; and we all know that being creative, thinking "outside the box", being innovative was what inspired Colin Chapman, and is what made Lotus, Lotus.

I hope this whole legal mess concerning both Lotus F1 teams is worked out quickly. Maybe in 2012 or 2013 we will get to see Team Lotus racing with the livery of the winner of the "black & gold livery" contest that I posted. At least ground effect is going to return to F1 in 2013. That would please Colin.
You know HRT could rename thier team Lotus World Wide Racing and paint thier cars in STP colors.. and then there would be three teams using the Lotus name. I know not F1 but as we are streching the Lotus name allready why not go Indy.

One of my friends only races using JPS colors so he doesnt have a F104. As long as one of the teams uses it he will finally be able to buy an F104.So that s good.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Just my 2 cent over the "Lotuses"...

I'm a fan of Lotus since 14, which means about 30 years now... (getting older...), despite being Italian...

I've also the pleasure to own some parts of the real cars, from the 79 to the 88 to the 99, to the 101 (Clive Chapman sold parts from the old F1 he still owns).

An I've to agree with Bakaguyjean, more or less both of them "bought the jumpsuit but cant sing or dance like Elvis".

Unfortunately a F1 car is not a rose (A rose by any other name would smell as sweet).

Mclaren and Ferrari both were having a "line" after the original founder departure. Those teams, they just "pretend" to be.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

On a slightly different matter...

Tamiya has recently released some "old" F1, and is relatively easy get "old timers body" like the Mclaren M23-Wolf-312T.

What is your opinion on having some "historical races", like those:
http://www.historicgrandprix.com/
http://historicformulaone.com/

Easy rule: mandatory tires those big rubber supplied with the kit, plus a 540j

This might encourage also some body maker in making more "old timers"
Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lotus pretenders or not I honestly think that both Team Lotus & Lotus Renault will be fighting with the Williams & Sauber for 5th position. It is interesting to note that Team Lotus will be using Redbull's gearbox and what they need to improve on is their 2011 aero package. They I think would be the "surprise" team of 2011.

On the part of which is the real Lotus, I feel Tony's team is more in the spirit of the old. The old Team Lotus was privately owned, having their own car, engineers & crews, their own factory etc. Proton have no intention of developing their own cars and they decide to enter the 2011 season as a sponsor to the Renault team. Ironic isn't it. It's like eg Alfa Romeo coming back into F1 by sponsoring the Mercedes Team.?!

I wondered why Proton & Petronas both Malaysian government owned companies are not working together. I remember there were talks in 1997 about them joining to form a team. I guess they do not want to put the eggs in the same basket.

Lastly history have shown that teams of private owners stay longer in F1. Just look at what happened to Honda, Toyota, BMW, BAR, Jaguar? Let's see how long Proton will stay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.