Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Battery is 318g (RevTech 100c)
Solaris tires (S-TSHGM3W)...

I'm way under weight. I'm at 1323g and need to get to 1380g... so I have to add 60g....
Is there any paint on the body?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CNTRFLD
Thats awesome! How did you do that?! What type of polish did you use... tools? great work!
Thanks! well.. first I stripped the anodizing useing easy-off oven cleaner.. ( greased lightening also works) there are many videos on youtube on how to do it.. pretty simple.

Then I used this stuff called Mothers mag and aluminum polish.. I just took some of that and applied it with a cloth to each part.. then with a clean cloth buffed it and wiped it off.. worked great. It took forever to do it by hand though.. I would recommend a dremel with some type of polishing attachement

Well guys I got done building the kit last night at around 4am.. it was an absolute dream to build.. once I started I couldn't stop. I used to be an Associated fan..but, now I don't know if I could own another car other than an Xray. I built a TC6 a couple years back and it was a nightmare compared to the Xray. Even the parts I hate building (turnbuckles,shocks,diffs) went to well great. Love the quality it's totally worth the extra money.

I think the silver turned out looking pretty good on it as well oh.. and I know I'm missing my servo post.. I won't be using it also noticed I need to adjust my shock collars haha

Last edited by eds24; 10-29-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mb3195
surprised it is so low with such a heavy battery, although you do have a lighter receiver than me (mine is a sanwa 451) and I also have a slightly heavier than standard bumper.

But........better to be underweight and add the weight down low than be overweight!
I have also installed a standard bumper..
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eds24
Thanks! well.. first I stripped the anodizing useing easy-off oven cleaner.. ( greased lightening also works) there are many videos on youtube on how to do it.. pretty simple.

Then I used this stuff called Mothers mag and aluminum polish.. I just took some of that and applied it with a cloth to each part.. then with a clean cloth buffed it and wiped it off.. worked great. It took forever to do it by hand though.. I would recommend a dremel with some type of polishing attachement

Well guys I got done building the kit last night at around 4am.. it was an absolute dream to build.. once I started I couldn't stop. I used to be an Associated fan..but, now I don't know if I could own another car other than an Xray. I built a TC6 a couple years back and it was a nightmare compared to the Xray. Even the parts I hate building (turnbuckles,shocks,diffs) went to well great. Love the quality it's totally worth the extra money.

I think the silver turned out looking pretty good on it as well oh.. and I know I'm missing my servo post.. I won't be using it
Very nice... Now I want to take it all part and do this....
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

eds24, what did the aluminum look like after stripping, but before you polished it? Would it look OK just stripped?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M-Technic
eds24, what did the aluminum look like after stripping, but before you polished it? Would it look OK just stripped?
You may not want to do this... It will start to corrode thus the reason for applying the polish.... It will start to turn white and pit....
Old 10-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

I think the silver turned out looking pretty good on it as well oh.. and I know I'm missing my servo post.. I won't be using it

Very nice work. I admire your patience.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

The aluminum looks something like this if not polished..

I wouldn't suggest stripping the aluminum and not polishing it for the reasons bvolts stated..polishing protects the aluminum from corroding. As you can see in the pictures the pieces look to becoming somewhat white. The other thing is its very hard to strip aluminum without oxidizing it atleast alittle bit which makes the part look black. The polishing removes that black look. If your going to do this I highly recommend taking some time and polishing them.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well if you are polishing to protect it, then it's not a long term solution right? You will have to reapply the polish down the road to keep the aluminum from oxidizing.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well if you are polishing to protect it, then it's not a long term solution right? You will have to reapply the polish down the road to keep the aluminum from oxidizing.
Good point. I'm curious if spray lacquering or something similar would protect the parts after the initial polishing.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Anodizing does something to the surface other than change the colour, it makes the top layer much tougher, I'm not sure but stripping that off may effect the durability of the ali.

Bb
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

hmm that's a good point that slipped my mind.. we will see how long it lasts..it could be a reason to get them anodized eventually anyway. I don't mind if the parts get dull.. only if they start corroding or oxidizing.

Last edited by eds24; 10-29-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Check the right rear pin.

Snowy.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Essnowyt
Check the right rear pin.

Snowy.
Thanks haha.. guess thats what happens when you build a car late at night... just like those shock collars haha
Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CoreyW.
Well, yet another successful weekend for the T4! We were able to TQ and finish 2nd at the Halloween classic against a small but stout field -Keven Hebert, Josh Cyrul, Ray Darroch, Andrew Knapp to name a few. The car only needed a few tweaks from the setup we have been playing with since IIC. During the weekend, we had a tenth quicker hot lap(consistently I might add) than Keven and Andrew qualified almost 4 seconds ahead of him. This was especially exciting given the fact that Kevin was the only person really giving Ronald Volker a hard time at the IIC. The final was a fantastic race, both almost bumper to bumper for the entire 6 minute up until the final set of corners where Andrew made a last ditched effort to get by after an earlier bobble. Kevin is incredibly good out front and probably the hardest person to pass in RC As they came around the sweeper onto the straight they were side by side and they touched, as a result both needed to be marshalled. Andrew was marshalled a little quicker and therefore could have driven away for the win but he decided to stay put and let Kevin go across the line first. Andrew knew he forced the issue and decided it was not the way he wanted to win - a great move in the eyes of most. Despite losing the main, it was a great weekend and we learned even more about the new car and what it needs to be a legitimate contender.

One thing that I found very interesting was during the prep for the main. I noticed that I had not installed any screws to hold the spool cups securely to the spool itself(we all make mistakes right? )so like a good mechanic, I corrected my "mistake" and installed the screws. Up until the main, every round we had been clear of Keven by a tenth allowing Andrew to control the pace, but for some strange reason we lost that tenth in the main. We went from 9.2 to 9.3 and this small difference allowed Keven(he was also doing 9.3's) to pressure Andrew right from the start. After a debrief with Andrew, he informed me that the car was a little more "edgy" but other than that the car was almost identical to the runs previous. So now I have a suspicion that maybe the screws vs. no screws in the spool had something to do with it. Have I stumbled across something here? Unfortunately, I will have to wait till the weekend to test this but I thought I would throw it out there for people to discuss.
Or perhaps trying a couple of thick rubber O-rings behind the outdrives and screwed in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.