Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by markp27
I haven't driven a 1/8th yet, but have just got a Vector NT - how would you compare the 1/8ths to the 1/10ths in terms of what they are like to drive?
It's quite different, 1/8 is like riding a rocket and trying to control it. 200 mm is more like trying to keep the speed in the turns, and keeping the good lines. You have to be more precise though.
After driving 200 mm, switching to 1/8 is incredible!! The track is much to small and you have the feeling that there is no straight, that you are beeming from corner to corner.
200 is fun though, it is just different!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

WHAT! Two things on your chest What are you trying to tells us about Michael!!!
Nothing about Michael, about me! I just wanted to say that I am not Michael and that I am pretty sure about this because I am a woman and woman have those..mhh?!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by MichaelS
It's quite different, 1/8 is like riding a rocket and trying to control it. 200 mm is more like trying to keep the speed in the turns, and keeping the good lines. You have to be more precise though.
After driving 200 mm, switching to 1/8 is incredible!! The track is much to small and you have the feeling that there is no straight, that you are beeming from corner to corner.
200 is fun though, it is just different!
The first time I saw 1/8th was this year at the EFRA Bamberg race - it totally blew my mind (my race report is on mytsn: http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publmem.asp?pid=8129

I'm looking forward to trying my Vector NT out.
I think one of my earlier questions got lost in the noise of the postings here: what do you judge as the improvements in driving the 950 over the NT?

Cheers, Mark,
Old 11-15-2003, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Dido
Nothing about Michael, about me! I just wanted to say that I am not Michael and that I am pretty sure about this because I am a woman and woman have those..mhh?!
Ach! Those!! We may have to ask you to prove it though
Old 11-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

The first time I saw 1/8th was this year at the EFRA Bamberg race - it totally blew my mind (my race report is on mytsn: http://www.mytsn.com/publ/publmem.asp?pid=8129

I think one of my earlier questions got lost in the noise of the postings here: what do you judge as the improvements in driving the 950 over the NT?

Cheers, Mark,
basically the 950 is a better NT. The NT is a good car, but has a little bit too much weight in front, which makes it understeer too much.
The 950 is also easier to work on and has the possibility to change the front roll center. But if you never tried a 1/8 scale before, the NT is fine!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

basically the 950 is a better NT. The NT is a good car, but has a little bit too much weight in front, which makes it understeer too much.
The 950 is also easier to work on and has the possibility to change the front roll center. But if you never tried a 1/8 scale before, the NT is fine!
I bought the NT with a view to learning 1/8th, so I wasn't interested in getting the latest-and-greatest, just something which wouldn't do strange things on the circuit.
It is apparently the ex-KHM car and it seems he got rid of the battery pack - instead the batteries are placed on the chassis (so, glued on) around the fuel tank area. Not sure if this was an attempt to re-distribute the weight or not.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Ach! Those!! We may have to ask you to prove it though
Hey this is a forum about cars... so this question is really not appropriate !!!!
Old 11-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe the NT will provide an advantage for me in learning 1/8th - as you say it is a bit heavy in the front and that it understeers - probably not too bad for a beginer - safe understeer?
Old 11-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I bought the NT with a view to learning 1/8th, so I wasn't interested in getting the latest-and-greatest, just something which wouldn't do strange things on the circuit.
It is apparently the ex-KHM car and it seems he got rid of the battery pack - instead the batteries are placed on the chassis (so, glued on) around the fuel tank area. Not sure if this was an attempt to re-distribute the weight or not.
Yes

we did that at the Euros in Spain. The track featured a lot of hairpins and that helped a lot!
Tech Apprentice

Cheers, Mark,

That’s difficult to subscribe.
If you buy a car, like a VW Golf III, what is the difference in driving to the newer VW Golf ?
With the 950 the cg is changed and you also can adjust the front rollcenter. The chassis is more stiff, and some little other things are also changed. A big difference is the fuel tank.
All these things helps, that the car is easier to drive.
And easier means faster. Not on one lap, but it’s more consistent.
I hope it answers your question.
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Dido
Hey this is a forum about cars... so this question is really not appropriate !!!!
I think we have converted this forum into a: Wine bar, Disco, Meet-the-Stars, etc. don't see why we shouldn't take it another step forward
Old 11-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Yes

we did that at the Euros in Spain. The track featured a lot of hairpins and that helped a lot!
Excellent! The front lower suspension looks as though it also has been modified - perhaps another attempt at getting rid of the understeer.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rene C.
That’s difficult to subscribe.
If you buy a car, like a VW Golf III, what is the difference in driving to the newer VW Golf ?
With the 950 the cg is changed and you also can adjust the front rollcenter. The chassis is more stiff, and some little other things are also changed. A big difference is the fuel tank.
All these things helps, that the car is easier to drive.
And easier means faster. Not on one lap, but it’s more consistent.
I hope it answers your question.
That's interesting that you know I have a VW Golf III

Thanks for the answer.

One more question: was the front lay down suspenion (shocks) an advantage in general, or is it dependent upon the track?
Old 11-15-2003, 03:08 PM
ub
Tech Rookie

I am a kind of amused following this forum. Okay, Michael likes wine, Rene doesn´t like orange. But didn´t it start with the seven-ten?
Old 11-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ub
I am a kind of amused following this forum. Okay, Michael likes wine, Rene doesn´t like orange. But didn´t it start with the seven-ten?
Seven-ten what! OH ehm, maybe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.