Search

Ask Aaron Waldron

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Jon - Coming from someone stuck in the Sportsman B main and worried about beating...whatever Jay had that day...

...that doesn't even hurt.

Cody - Doooooon't start!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I am running lipo/brushless 1/10th truck this summer w/ a123 cells. The cells weigh about 650 grams which is heavier then your typical 4xx gram pack. Do you think It would be worth the effort to try running a forgiving setup w/ an over powered motor since the heavier cells will help to keep the truck from pulling the front end up, or should I just stick to something closer to what I enjoy driving atm?

Just a heads up, if you learn to drive these cars you will learn how to keep them from breaking. I am at 4 gallons and counting on a drake 1 that hasn't broken ne parts. Once you figure out what breaks what you will stop breaking. If you are still having troubles then perhaps you should invest in one of the rtrs, they seem to hold up pretty well to the new guys who like to run them in to walls.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Jon - Coming from someone stuck in the Sportsman B main and worried about beating...whatever Jay had that day...

...that doesn't even hurt.

Cody - Doooooon't start!
Oh, that's cold. And I had no worries about beating Jay that day. Now give him my car or your car, then I'd be concerned.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Cody - Doooooon't start!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Cody - I'm not kidding...you're a little kid walking into a big kid's fight. Haha. I'm sure I've had many years more smack talk experience than you do! (Read the next paragraph, haha.)

Jon - If Jay had my car (or his own Losi car, haha) you wouldn't have anything to worry about. All the Losi cars already beat you, what's one more? DOH!

party_wagon - I haven't seen a brushless-lipo "Pro Truck" race, let alone driven one, so I'm not really sure. If the track is really big and driving skill is less important than straightaway speed, I say go for it. However, more HP doesn't always mean faster lap times, and the stock and 19T classes are usually as fast, if not faster, than the mod class at the club level (comparing drivers of the same experience, of course). Those trucks were designed with a ~400 gram battery and standard application motor in mind, but if you feel that your driving is up for the challenge and you've got the coin, might be worth a try.

Many drivers find it tough to control a lower turn brushed modified motor in off-road, something 11 turns or below. And many tracks don't have the room for that much power. Races aren't usually won on the straightaway.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Are there any real differances in the power band of a nitro and an electric? I have been running nitro 1/10th scale the past two years, and I figure that a soft track setup with the heavier cells should help to balance out the fact that the front will raise more under power. If it doesn't then I'll probly just switch back to a more aggressive setup and a milder power plant.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

I don't think a softer truck with heavier components and more power will necessarily be faster around the track (I'm assuming you're looking at some of the sensorless brushless systems like Lehner, Hacker, etc.?) versus a well-sorted truck with standard equipment.

The biggest gain will be in run time, which I totally understand.

Like I said, I haven't driven a brushless/li-po truck, and I don't know your driving capabilities or the track you're racing on. You might very well be able to wheel a truck with that kind of power and that kind of setup, and you might have the room to use the power.

Gas engines will never be as linear as an electric motor. You've got an internal combustion engine and a centrifugal clutch. You can make a gas truck motor very smooth and easy to drive but it will still be different than an electric motor. Perhaps not in a bad way, but still different. Also, the setup differences from gas truck to electric truck will always be a factor.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Are there any real differances in the power band of a nitro and an electric? I have been running nitro 1/10th scale the past two years, and I figure that a soft track setup with the heavier cells should help to balance out the fact that the front will raise more under power. If it doesn't then I'll probly just switch back to a more aggressive setup and a milder power plant.
I think nitro and electric powerbands have tons of difference. I like the gas trucks much better, they feel more fun even though my times are generally the same between the T4 and GT. The novak brushless 6.5 is the most nitro-like feeling motor I've drivin. I limit the throttle epa because it is un-necessarily fast from mid to full throttle. Now have the 7.5 in it, but it does not feel as fun of a motor to me. But I haven't played with the settings much with it yet either.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

You and I might be the only two people that want their electric trucks to feel more like gas trucks...haha.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

is there going to be a new Losi truck before this year is over
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You and I might be the only two people that want their electric trucks to feel more like gas trucks...haha.
If the speedos had a nut for adjusting brake, and a screw for adjusting the throttle I would feel much more comfortable dialing it in than looking for flashing lights.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Spoken like a true gashole.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 05-16-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

pink_sleeve - I assume you're talking about electric trucks?

I haven't heard any word on a new truck lately, so I'm not sure.

jbrow - Now you're speaking my language!

Jon - You say that like it's a bad thing?

You race ON-ROAD. You have no right to call anyone by any names!
Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just wondering...

Why is it that 1/8th scale 4wd buggies have same width front and rear tire while electric 1/10th scale 4wd buggies have wider rear tires?

What would be the pros and cons of running rear tires of the same width as the front on 1/10th scale electric 4wd buggies?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.