Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 06:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: lola style?

Originally posted by InitialD
You need the following parts;

808150 Bodymount-set rear GTP EV2
808121 Bumper Set 705 CanAm / Group C

You will need to trim the excess bumper's width according to the Lola body used. With the 808150 Impact floating rear body mount style, you cannot use the 7 mm spacers (808313) on the upper rear hubs. You can substitute different size spacers but in my experience, a 2.5 to 3 mm spacer is the max you can go with the 808150 body mount. For the shock tower, you may not use the stock rear of even the front one. If you want to use a rear shock tower, you can use the 808138 shock tower meant for the Impact. Else, you can also use without shock towers and mount the rear and front shocks on the bearing blocks. Incidently, this is what I run (and what a lot of others run this too) on my 705 with red springs all around.

Before this 808121 came out, we were using the 808120 Impact bumper. I felt this bumper was better and toughter as the body mounts on the 808121 (integrated onto the bumper) breaks easy. With the 808120 Impact bumper, you need to modify and trim the nose of the upper body mount bumper plate 801115.

I have attached a top view sample pic of my Impulse PRO (now already 90% converted to a 705 ) with the 808120 Impact bumper to give you an idea about the 801115 upper body mount bumper plate.

Using Lola body on the 705 does have it's advantages in the cornering speed and stability. Engine cooling is also better. But that is the least that you would be interested in doing to your car because the faster you go, the more parts you break !

Best for you right now is to use the stock TC body. The foam bumper on the TC shell will be easy on the chassis and will provide enough protection to the shocks.

Observe on the track how the others are driving at your track. Watch how the good drivers are taking the correct and fastest lines in the corners and the bends. Then on your own, TRY to go easy on the throttle and slowly round the track without hitting anything. Drive as many times around the track as you can. The thing is to get a lot of track time. That should be your primary goal. Never mind about people saying you're slow on the track. Somebody has got to start somewhere. I did the same thing too.

For me, I find no difference in the challenge using TC body and Lola body. Some of the cars on the track where I race use Lola bodies too and I would humbly say that it does not make me at a disadvantage using a TC body anymore on the track once you can master the car setup. Of course, the person behind the Tx must be up to it too !

Yes, I do notice this too... Of course only when I clip the front wheels hard enough. I guess if you look the other way around, if the pivot balls do not pop out, you may end up breaking the steering knuckles or worst still, breaking the aluminum pivot balls. So, I would say leave it as it is. The only solution to this is to drive carefully and slowly first around the track and avoid clipping and hitting the steering blocks hard. Like I said, drive slowly and get familiar with driving the car around the track.
The rear tower 808138 in not optional. It is needed as it holds the pin that keep the rear body support in place. I don't know the 808139, it is not in mytsn.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:07 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: lola style?

Originally posted by Fernando_M
The rear tower 808138 in not optional. It is needed as it holds the pin that keep the rear body support in place. I don't know the 808139, it is not in mytsn.
You are right Fernando. It was an oversight from my part. My apologies to lawndoggie.

On my Impulse PRO (now already converted to 705), I use a different way to keep the pin in place to help keep the rear floating mount mounted correct. Please see pic attached. I use part of the Streetspec Shock Support mounting 808137 as I do not use any rear shock tower.

Yes, 808139 is not mentioned and listed on mytsn but Serpent does sell it separately. Don't know why. I have and use this on my 705 with TC body but actually never had the opportunity to test it nor the need to use the alternative shock hole mounting.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-rear_shock_mounting.jpg  
Old 11-30-2003, 08:25 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by utopian
I prefer to invest on new cars, like the 710 and team magic G4 instead of converting my old Impulse.
Well, I got a 705 convertion kit for very cheap from a good friend of mine who resides in Nuremberg, Germany !

So my Impulse PRO now is almost fully converted to 705. Just less the LC gearbox and Centax II.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by S710_Nut
InitialD: Have you got a photo off that? I am a visual person to see what you mean?
Sorry for the late reply. Here is a pic of what I meant...
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-shock_ball_cup_mounting.jpg  
Old 11-30-2003, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by S710_Nut
Thats what i have been hearing as well... Hope so!

Also, Are the hobby stores open after Christmas in Hk up till the new year?
They might take one or two days off...
Let me know if anyone wants me to get it for them.
I won't charge extra, so 360USD plus whatever shipping, probably 40USD for shipping...
You might ask why would I do that? Not charging extra? Well I am new to nitro, and have been crashing a lot.. so the more I buy from the store, the more they'll remember me and hopefully give me discount on parts someday!
Old 11-30-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I got a 705 convertion kit for very cheap from a good friend of mine who resides in Nuremberg, Germany !

So my Impulse PRO now is almost fully converted to 705. Just less the LC gearbox and Centax II.
Shhhh Don't be going telling everyone
Old 11-30-2003, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by ammdrew
wow that is a ton of broken stuff for 10 minutes of run time.. my recomendation take some throw out of your throttle so it does get going as fast, put more brake in so it slows faster and get use to it.. usually the serpents are the most durable.. ouch .. sorry to hear that.. you could mount a 235 bumper on the bottom of the foam, do not cut it out and you will gin some front side protection, not acceptible to race with but would be good until you are not clipping the corners with the front end...
Yes yes, everytime my car goes BANG! And the people around goes WOW!
I am thinking about sticking ping pongs around the body of my car....
Old 11-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: lola style?

You are right Fernando. It was an oversight from my part. My apologies to lawndoggie.

On my Impulse PRO (now already converted to 705), I use a different way to keep the pin in place to help keep the rear floating mount mounted correct. Please see pic attached. I use part of the Streetspec Shock Support mounting 808137 as I do not use any rear shock tower.

Yes, 808139 is not mentioned and listed on mytsn but Serpent does sell it separately. Don't know why. I have and use this on my 705 with TC body but actually never had the opportunity to test it nor the need to use the alternative shock hole mounting.
Here is the front GTP body mount from my Impulse. It is an Impact front body mount. I reduced the width and it fitted perfectly. However, I could not make the downstops holes, as it would weaken the part too much. The bumper is also a shortened Impact one.
I found this approach to work very well. However, the best result was when I adapted a Serpent Excel front body mount. Though, it is hard to get.
BTW, this was done when the Serpent front bumper for the Impulse/705 was not available.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 710-impulse_gtp_front2.jpg  
Old 11-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Hey guys, thanks for all the help... perhaps I should stick with the TC bumper for now.. it probably gives more impact resistance..
I noticed that when my making hairpin turns, if I slam on the brake, the wheels lift off the ground... I am using yellow spring, 30W oil and 40F 42R tires.... if there something I can do to fix the problem?
Does my car have too much grip?
Thanks!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Default Pipe mod

InitialD:
Clever re-inforcement to the exhaust stinger!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

Default Getting started

Lawndoggie:
Try putting in about -30 to 50% steering exponential, and reduce your steering throw so that full lock steering just gets you through the tightest corner on your track; and relax. Don't worry about the other guys, if they're going faster than you they're probably better and can take care of them selves.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Pipe mod

Originally posted by clmbia45
InitialD:
Clever re-inforcement to the exhaust stinger!
Most racers here do this on their pipe.

I guess when you're breaking and denting a lot of stuff, you'll try every ways and means to make the car parts stay in one piece.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by markp27
Shhhh Don't be going telling everyone
That I have a German baby?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by lawndoggie
I noticed that when my making hairpin turns, if I slam on the brake, the wheels lift off the ground... I am using yellow spring, 30W oil and 40F 42R tires.... if there something I can do to fix the problem?
Lifting off the ground? How do you mean by that? How do you know that the wheels are lifting? Are you using front one way?
Old 11-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Pipe mod

Most racers here do this on their pipe.

I guess when you're breaking and denting a lot of stuff, you'll try every ways and means to make the car parts stay in one piece.
I did the same thing with the stinger...
We have very small tracks here, which means there is less space between cars, which tranlates into more running into each other...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.