Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Josh good luck at the worlds!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale drivers

Don't want to create another thread so i thought i just shoot this one here!

Can anyone please help me out.. what's the dimension of the Hudy 1/8 setup board? Thanks in advance..
Old 08-17-2005, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1/8th and 1/10th are both drawing less people depending on where you are. Its not a cost thing in either class its a cycle issue and an economy issue. I'm sure that extra 100 to 200 a month in gas were spending latley ain't helping anyones racing budget.

The cost of 1/10th has gone down in some respects. I know you can acquire one of our cars for 199.00 and plant an OSTZ 12 at 190.00 with one of the many 60 dollar tuned pipes and be in the middle of the pack for series racing for 650.00 to 800.00 with a spare engine

If you want to be in the middle of the pack in 1/8th your gonna drop 10 to 12 bills to be at the same place. a spare engine will put you in the 14 to 16 range. The only thing hurting 1/8th is engine prices.

Personally I think the sanctioning bodies dropped the ball when europe held out on 2wd 235 and Roar fought defining a 235 4wd sedan class and a 235 4wd VDS class. Now we have 1/8th and 200mm sedan with no extra class to compliment either. That was just flat dumb. a few of us tried to start a 235 Sedan class but the VDS freaks would have nothing to do with it. Some folks are having a hard time justifying traveling extensive distances with significant travel outlay to run a singular car.

Had this happened The Sedan and Open nats would have been much more entertaining than they are now. All I heard was dilution dilution, Still seems the big races are cutting the entries so the racers are there.

This is a personal opinion.
The other issue is quality of races. Many of them have not gone off to well latley due to various reasons. If they were all run as well as the GLC the entries would be overflowing.

Fraz your right the cost of 12th scale tires is just stupid.

PS Josh and Barry could set track records with 049's in their cars.

Last edited by Motorman; 08-17-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 235mm

I started another thread, but no replies yet. This looks like the thread to tackle the question. Looking for opinions on 1/10 scale 235mm. I am a novice driver and am told that these cars handle better than the TCs. I shy away from 1/8 due mainly to the expert driving skills of the folks in our area (I will definitely be in the way). I figures 235 will give me the same driving experience with a much small pool of drivers. Thoughts? Recommended chassis?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

you have 2 choices of car the serpent or the mugen (hard to find now) 235 is dead most places but here in the midwest enough still run to fill a couple of qualifyers. I sure would like to see a resurgance of that class as 235 4wd sedan. with an 18 displacement motor.

However todays sedans handle very well when set up correctly, just see your local fast racer at the track who races a car like yours and ask him for a setup.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

You'd get more help and support if you start with a 1/10 sedan. Parts and tires would probably be hard to get in a pinch.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

jeffrey
one of th other issues is the track you race at regularly. The surface at rev is a disaster and racing a sedan there is a total pisser. The dang thing has a quarter inch of vht and dirt on it and the reality is that it is much easier to tune the chassis of an 1/8th scalre there during the course of the day. Any track you have to go to 45 front and rear or harder on a sedan to keep the tire from loading with vht and getting greasy is just a major BD. REV should just stop spraying for an entire year until it cleans up. once thats done they need to go to Mountain dew syrup and caster cut with methanol
Old 08-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Motorman
jeffrey
one of th other issues is the track you race at regularly. The surface at rev is a disaster and racing a sedan there is a total pisser. The dang thing has a quarter inch of vht and dirt on it and the reality is that it is much easier to tune the chassis of an 1/8th scalre there during the course of the day. Any track you have to go to 45 front and rear or harder on a sedan to keep the tire from loading with vht and getting greasy is just a major BD. REV should just stop spraying for an entire year until it cleans up. once thats done they need to go to Mountain dew syrup,caster cut with methanol
hahaha don't pull no punches. what you said is true but there isn't any better alternative close by. I think VHT is less of a problem than the off road track. as long as it's dusty, traction will be poor, people will complain and VHT will be used.

I do run in Taiwan half of the time and the tracks are perfect for 1/8 here although the tires wear so fast it's costly. Sometimes it seems the revelation surface is better for that reason.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

Can anyone confrim..."8th scale tires last for months"

I've been told multiple times by multiple people from RAMS that you HAVE to have a new set of tires EVERY raceday. This fact has discouraged me from running 8th scale. Shoot, If I only need a new set every 4 races than maybe I'll be able to afford it...
Old 08-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

On my local track I sometimes put a 2nd set of tyres on my 710, but a few year back when I ran a Vector I could get 2 meetings out of a set. All this talk makes me want another 1/8. Anyone want to sell a cheap 950R?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:06 AM
wad
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeffreylin
I do run in Taiwan half of the time and the tracks are perfect for 1/8 here although the tires wear so fast it's costly. Sometimes it seems the revelation surface is better for that reason.
My tire wear on last RJV race at rev was 0.5mm on 40 minutes main, and traction wasn't a problem for me, is the same for everybody
Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wad
My tire wear on last RJV race at rev was 0.5mm on 40 minutes main, and traction wasn't a problem for me, is the same for everybody
And my last race in Taiwan rear left tire wears at 1.7mm every 10 minutes! 40 minute main I would need to start with 64mm!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Solara What track are you talking about? I think you need to get out a tape measure! In the MWS, I think the Cinci track is the only one that comes close to those dimensions. 200' X 100' is enough, a bit longer than that is better but 200' will do.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

1/8 is not cheap, but the costs are greatly exaggerated. I have raced all the MWS races in 1/8 this year. Alot of track time (potentially ) at these races---3 hrs practice on Sat am, followed by 3 quals, another hr or so practice on Sun am followed by 1/2 hr mains for everyone. If the track is fairly abrasive, I will start the main with a fresh or nearly fresh set of tires. Some tracks are far less abrasive. Bottom line is, tire wear is about the same if not less than 1/10. I have run both on the same track. 1/8 tires cost a bit more, but it is worth it!
The bodies on TC's are gay! Looks like something you should be car-pooling to work in. 1/8 bodies are racing bodies . Engine runs way cooler, much easier to re-fill tank, Clutches DO NOT wear-out faster than 1/10.
I run a XR8 ($399 map) powered by a Cippola (or is it Cipolla? I forget) which sells for $215, and the combo is very competitive. My rig costs less than many of the 1/10 scales.
I am seeing an increase in 1/8! I think that 1/8 racers tend to post less than 1/10.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duneland
Solara What track are you talking about? I think you need to get out a tape measure! In the MWS, I think the Cinci track is the only one that comes close to those dimensions. 200' X 100' is enough, a bit longer than that is better but 200' will do.
Ron....Tinley Park is 140x200...........and do you think that is big enough for 1/8th....? Don't forget, that day, we have only 1 to 2 cars running the entire track, if we have 5-6 1/8th running at TINLEY for a real race, I think it will be a little bit crowded..

On the other hand, at AJ.....it is like 180x220....THAT, is a little bit more acceptabe except a little bit tight on the infield.

Overall, you have way more experience on 1/8th then I do....I am sure your information is more accurate then mine....

See you in 2 days at Chicago Leg MWS....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.