Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Scott,
Did you do some testing on the carbon chassis this weekend?
Thanks
================================================== ========
Yes, I did.

Our track had not been run on in about three weeks. It was prepped like a normal test weekend which means I needed to run some soft tires. The first thing that I wanted to do was check and see how the engine temps would be. I was very skeptical about the engine staying cool without that big aluminum heatsink below it. I ran 2-3 laps at a time checking temps and all seemed well. I did this for an entire tank and it everything was good. I then ran about half a tank checking temp, then the second half of the tank and it was still good. I felt confident so I ran almost 20 mins continuous only stopping every 5 mins for fuel and a temp. The engine ran 231 degrees at the end of the 20 mins. No temp problems. I also put the stock chassis back on and the temps were only about 7 degrees cooler.

Handling: The track was loose and many of the cars were having some issues with traction. Basically the two chassis' were similar but I will say with the current track conditions and not changing the setup, both exhibited off power push with on power loose condition. The carbon chassis was worse in both areas, but not much. It might have been psychological, but it did feel like the carbon chassis launched a little bit harder off the corner. The track was loose enough that I had to have a lot of finger discipline or I could easily light up the tires coming out of the corner. I would love to try the car in a higher grip situation but I would also be concerned about the higher cg. I also would say that I did not want to put hours into a setup for this as it seems like I am always prepping for a race that is either roar sanctioned or run under roar rules. The chassis is perfectly legal, but my car is so underweight with that chassis that it would be a waste of my time as I want all the weight on the chassis. I really think for club racing this chassis would be great.

I did have one hard crash that broke a rear arm and the chassis is just fine.
I did my very unscientific test and can say that the carbon chassis is stiffer than the stock aluminum one. There is one thing that scares me about the chassis. It starts at 3mm thick. Where the engine mount screws go through is machined thinner to recess the screws just like it is on the stock chassis. It is really thin there and I would be nervous about a hard crash or some donut running an eighth scale plowing into you and ripping the engine out of the chassis. I don't know if it would ever happen, but it makes me a little nervous. I will do some more testing at our next outing in 2 weeks (if James lets me hang onto the chassis) as I hope the track will be better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott,
Keep it, its yours. Just give us reports when you run it.
James
Old 02-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

I'm supprized nobody caught on to this yet:

http://www.winternats.com/gallery/v/..._7440.JPG.html
http://www.winternats.com/gallery/v/..._7438.JPG.html
http://www.winternats.com/gallery/v/..._7436.JPG.html

I had all kinds of trick stuff on the car. I had some new products still in testing, like the 4mm rear shock stay, new rear camber link bar, 4mm front shock stay, 3mm upper radio tray, 3mm reverse side pully tensioner (has more adjustment than stock, and some other items I'm still testing. I would like to thank Larry for the excellent bumper from P-Dub. The bumper saved the car more than once, and I tested it good if you know what I mean. Ft Myers is an awsome track, just don't hit the walls, they are made out of STEEL!

The prospc badge on the car was placed just to see if anybody noticed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
me3a.jpg (275.8 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg
me5a.jpg (204.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: bmp
pro.bmp (93.8 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by rcfoolz; 02-20-2006 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

What? The 'ProSpec' Badges?.

I don't feel that Mugen will release a ProSpec chassis too soon (expect it for Xmas or later).
Old 02-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

correct, not yet.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Car Breaker
I saw the picture, it is a nice ride . too bad I don't have enough money right now

wish he could sell it,
maybe, just maybe I will have USD300 for it arround March
Well its still up for grabs... anybody else interested?

anyways what car are you running? i still have a MTX-3 for grabs.. cheap. $150US shipped.. i throw in a Kawahara neg diff.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Angry Rear upstops...

BTW: I've been revising all the posts on this thread and seemed weird that no one taken into the account that MTX4 didn't came with the rear upstops.

I know that is a very strange and not commonly used (and could do a lot of harm if misused), but, those weekends that I've been putting some serious track time with my 4, missed it (MTX3 came with them).

I'm the unique that misses the rear upstops? Front end came with them, why not the rear?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think it is just an adjustment that is more used on the front. I have never used them on the rear on the -3. I guess you could probably adapt something if you really need them.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Corse-R
BTW: I've been revising all the posts on this thread and seemed weird that no one taken into the account that MTX4 didn't came with the rear upstops.

I know that is a very strange and not commonly used (and could do a lot of harm if misused), but, those weekends that I've been putting some serious track time with my 4, missed it (MTX3 came with them).

I'm the unique that misses the rear upstops? Front end came with them, why not the rear?
i haben really used the upstops.. but what does it do anyways?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Gonna say the obvious part... "Prevents the rear arm to reach a certain height"... What does it do to the car suspension? No idea...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

It is a way to limit the roll of the chassis. Since traction rolls come from the front, you isually want to "stiffen" the front with the upstops. In the rear, there is really no point in doing this.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
It is a way to limit the roll of the chassis. Since traction rolls come from the front, you isually want to "stiffen" the front with the upstops. In the rear, there is really no point in doing this.
Good tips

Another way to avoid traction roll is increasing the front track width eg. 200mm ( and/or reduce rear track width eg. 199mm ).
Old 02-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

I aint a master in setups. So can anyone tell me what does track width affect the car's handling? (front/rear)
Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

A narrow track with gives the car a seemingly higher roll center. Basicly, the footprint is smaller so it takes some stability away. This is my experience. I have used it to give a little more traction. in a low traction situation, I used to run my car at about 195-195mm with 0 degree offset tires. It allows the car to roll more kinda like not using the downstops I guess.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Riketsu
I aint a master in setups. So can anyone tell me what does track width affect the car's handling? (front/rear)
Front track width is WIDER than the rear = possibility of understeering

Front track width is NARROWER than the rear = Neutral.... because all cars are designed with this setup.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

But like, whats the difference between running 198mm front and 200mm front?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.